PlayStation 5 listed for October 2020 release

Deal editor22
Posted 12th May
With both the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 both releasing in the month of November and the current situation in the world, I'm not quite sure how definitive we can take this as a release date window for the upcoming PlayStation 5 console.

A recent listing by Sony Interactive Entertainment Co for a material purchaser indicates a job description that includes...

"We will leave the prototype purchasing business of PlayStation hardware products to you. We will select the best suppliers from domestic and overseas parts partners, coordinate hardware parts specifications and produce capacity in cooperation with the Design Department and the Quality Assurance Department to create PlayStation5, which will be released in October 2020. In addition, we will leave cost reduction based on cost analysis and process verification and improvement in the development-mass production transfer process"

[Link to job application]

3461898-Ngd9A.jpg
Recent rumors are also suggesting that the PlayStation 5 console is likely to hit the market at around £100 more than the Xbox Series X. What price point are you hoping to see, and what's your absolute maximum for purchase?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

22 Comments
Nice find, Buzz!

But, I'll be waiting at least one year before picking one up.
I reckon it's going to be around £500.
I don't think I'll get one on launch as I've got a 1080p panel so personally it's not worth it, so will probably wait a year or so.
What about gran turismo 7? thought they might have it ready by now :/
Nice one Buzz... I'll be pre-ordering if it lists no higher that £500
I won't be buying at £500, not worth it. Sony are making a mistake pricing higher than Xbox, they should sell a budget alternative at £400.
jamie1512/05/2020 13:33

I won't be buying at £500, not worth it. Sony are making a mistake pricing …I won't be buying at £500, not worth it. Sony are making a mistake pricing higher than Xbox, they should sell a budget alternative at £400.

We don't know what the price of either system is yet. I recon PS5 will retail $499.99 (£399.99 - £449.99) and XBSX will be the same if not a little higher due to the increased hardware cost. The only other prediction of XBSX being cheaper is from Michael Pachter, the "insider" who seems to get more things wrong than right.
Shouldn't the Xbox be around £119, similar to their competition* Stadia?
*not my words.

In all seriousness (yes Uncle Phil wasn't being serious), I too think £449 is about right but what with AC most likely being 30fps I'm not feeling next gen atm hopefully Sony can show some exclusives that will make the jump worthwhile.
I love a new console, but in truth I've only ever bought one at lunch and that was the 360 because the leap was so huge from the PS2.

Without a 4K set up and a good selection of games at launch and release schedule, it'll be hard to justify a new console, especially if rumours are true at around £500...
Tempted to wait unless there are some decent exclusives day one

PlayStation job listing that suggested PS5 was launching in October was a "mistake" according to a Sony rep

gamesradar.com/pla…er/
jamie1512/05/2020 13:33

I won't be buying at £500, not worth it. Sony are making a mistake pricing …I won't be buying at £500, not worth it. Sony are making a mistake pricing higher than Xbox, they should sell a budget alternative at £400.

Wouldn't a budget version defeat the object of a new console?
Or you know, stick to a PS4 or Xbox!
There’s absolutely no chance it’ll be out in October. We’ll be lucky to see it out for Christmas.
StopSaveRestart12/05/2020 17:20

Wouldn't a budget version defeat the object of a new console?Or you know, …Wouldn't a budget version defeat the object of a new console?Or you know, stick to a PS4 or Xbox!

With the world entering an economic recession like nothing we have experienced before, an affordable next-gen console would make more sense than ever. What happens when the likes of a Call of Duty, Fifa or a Grand Theft Auto stop supporting last-gen and people that don't want to be left behind but also can't afford to drop 500 just to play their favourite games?
Buying launch console is great i still have my one x i purchased at launch still going strong, it depends how much ps5 will cost if its 400 ish i might get it ,
I reckon Japan may get it in October if it's not a typo
StopSaveRestart12/05/2020 17:20

Wouldn't a budget version defeat the object of a new console?Or you know, …Wouldn't a budget version defeat the object of a new console?Or you know, stick to a PS4 or Xbox!

Next gen exclusives will happen. The PS5 should exceed minimum specifications for most games. Given COVID-19 people are struggling financially, it would make more sense to offer a cheaper upgrade path with a console that has lower specifications.
jamie1512/05/2020 20:04

Next gen exclusives will happen. The PS5 should exceed minimum …Next gen exclusives will happen. The PS5 should exceed minimum specifications for most games. Given COVID-19 people are struggling financially, it would make more sense to offer a cheaper upgrade path with a console that has lower specifications.

What a idealistic world you live in. If you can't afford you'll just have to be patient and save.

Cannot see them developing, producing and on the shelves by Christmas time because of COVID especially with reports of them selling the new console at a loss due to high prices for components.
StopSaveRestart12/05/2020 20:19

What a idealistic world you live in. If you can't afford you'll just have …What a idealistic world you live in. If you can't afford you'll just have to be patient and save. Cannot see them developing, producing and on the shelves by Christmas time because of COVID especially with reports of them selling the new console at a loss due to high prices for components.

Sources: Microsoft Is Still Planning A Cheaper, Disc-Less Next-Gen Xboxkotaku.com/sou…823

December 2019 by Jason Schreier

Why I want an Xbox Series S all-digital consoletrueachievements.com/n41…tal

May 2020
.Yoshimitsu.12/05/2020 20:29

Sources: Microsoft Is Still Planning A Cheaper, Disc-Less Next-Gen Xbox …Sources: Microsoft Is Still Planning A Cheaper, Disc-Less Next-Gen Xbox https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-still-planning-a-cheaper-disc-le-1840203823December 2019 by Jason SchreierWhy I want an Xbox Series S all-digital console https://www.trueachievements.com/n41677/xbox-series-s-all-digitalMay 2020

He was on about a PS5 though and no such rumours abound
StopSaveRestart12/05/2020 20:19

What a idealistic world you live in. If you can't afford you'll just have …What a idealistic world you live in. If you can't afford you'll just have to be patient and save. Cannot see them developing, producing and on the shelves by Christmas time because of COVID especially with reports of them selling the new console at a loss due to high prices for components.

It would make perfect business sense that Sony offers a cheaper alternative given the current financial situation. Considering the Xbox rumours of a cheaper model it would be foolish for Sony not to offer some kind of discount or budget friendly option.

I can afford the PS5 at £500 but I'm not excited enough about it to get it over a PS4 Pro.

I didn't say Sony are launching a cheaper model, just that they should be.
Edited by: "jamie15" 12th May
Sony learn from mistakes. The PS5 will not be more expensive than XBox, no way would they repeat the PS3 launch. Whatever the new consoles launch at they will certainly be selling at a loss.

They will want it out before thanksgiving (end of November). EDIT- just been confirmed by Sony no delays expected in hardware or software and on target for holiday (November) release. The October date has also been confirmed as a mistake.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 13th May
Any any if digital bought games on your account will be transferable over to the ps5?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions