Playstation Account Hacked

12 replies
Found 6th Aug 2016
Hello everyone...

Sorry I've woken up this morning to three notifications from PayPal to thank me for my payments of £50, £40 and £30 to Sony and also checking my emails to say that my password has been changed. I contacted PayPal who have ended my 'agreement' with Sony and I'm waiting to speak to Sony on the phone when they open to see what I can do. I have had my PS email and password changed by this but all I care about at the moment is getting my money back. Have any of you experienced this before and how quick do Sony usually deal with this?

Thank you.

12 Comments

How did paypal give out your money without the text pass code part ? Shouldn't you get a text notification on every transaction ?

Original Poster

My PayPal account was linked to my PS account as the primary payment. All three of the transactions happened earlier this morning while I was asleep and I got three notifications for the separate purchases.

I'm pretty sure when I use PayPal on my ps4 you enter ur PayPal password aswell. If u haven't had anything off Sony about recent purchase then it's ur PayPal hacked not your psn. U need to pursue PayPal for it. If u go after Sony they might ban ur psn account due to u thinking it's been hacked

Frenchmeister

My PayPal account was linked to my PS account as the primary payment. All … My PayPal account was linked to my PS account as the primary payment. All three of the transactions happened earlier this morning while I was asleep and I got three notifications for the separate purchases.

​Paypal have an option where the transaction can't progress without a 6 digit pass code to an email address. I use it a lot as it prevents anyone from buying without the code. I would put this in place straight away.

kester76

​Paypal have an option where the transaction can't progress without a 6 d … ​Paypal have an option where the transaction can't progress without a 6 digit pass code to an email address. I use it a lot as it prevents anyone from buying without the code. I would put this in place straight away.

​I wasn't aware of this how do you set it up? Thank you

adhkarzf

​I wasn't aware of this how do you set it up? Thank you

nor did I, thanks kester76, I visited the PayPal website and set it up, it's called security key, and you can only do it from the website.

not sure how much it will help with buying from the eBay app or the Sony/xbox consoles but can always turn it off.

there is an app that allows you to generate a key rather than waiting for an SMS apparently.

bluetba

nor did I, thanks kester76, I visited the PayPal website and set it up, … nor did I, thanks kester76, I visited the PayPal website and set it up, it's called security key, and you can only do it from the website.not sure how much it will help with buying from the eBay app or the Sony/xbox consoles but can always turn it off.there is an app that allows you to generate a key rather than waiting for an SMS apparently.

Yeah you're right it's an SMS and not an email lol. Too early in the morning for me. Pretty sure it will open a webpage/app if using it on a console. should help cut down on this sort of thing happening in the future. It's surprising how many places have a copy of your details.

Isn't the money sitting as credit on your PS account now?

sixonenine

Isn't the money sitting as credit on your PS account now?

​the money would of gone by now I'm guessing, no doubt bought a few A+ titles and sold the account on eBay.

So you're email and password has been changed, this is a easy an simple process buddy. just get your serial number of the back of the PS3/PS4, type in on Google psn network, open the link and you should find the sign in part. Go to reset password and follow the ins then you will be able to see what they bought and change you details.

you might not get your money back as Sony are sods when this happens, but at least you're account will be sorted

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, the money is still in my PS account and I have changed my password, etc through Sony so I now have my account back. I also deleted my bank account details from PayPal for the time being just for peace of mind. Sony were quite good today but I'm not holding out hope for a refund.

Why would Sony do the refund? It was your PayPal account that was hacked? Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick?

richje100

Why would Sony do the refund? It was your PayPal account that was hacked? … Why would Sony do the refund? It was your PayPal account that was hacked? Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick?

Yeah the wrong end of the stick.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions