playstation fraud?

Found 3rd Mar
Someone went on the playstation network and used my young sons mobile number to get codes sent to their email (must have put their own email in) value was around £300 which has just gone on my mobile bill

checked his account and transactions and nothing shows but he did get confirmation texts from sony which he clicked yes all the time thinking he was getting free codes but went to the person who used his phone numbers and their own email

phones ee and they say its sonys fault so phoned sony and they say its ee fault
anyone know where i go from here

and please telling me it should have been locked etc etc after the horse has bolted will not do any good
Community Updates
AskGaming
20 Comments
Any idea what they bought? Didn't know u could charge psn stuff to your mobile. Unless I'm still living in the dark ages. In would have thought linking your mobile to anything you would have received a text message with a code.
richje1003 m ago

Any idea what they bought? Didn't know u could charge psn stuff to your …Any idea what they bought? Didn't know u could charge psn stuff to your mobile. Unless I'm still living in the dark ages. In would have thought linking your mobile to anything you would have received a text message with a code.

You can buy psn credit online, you get a text from sony, and they charge you when you reply.
Ultimately it is the credit providers responsibility. You are reporting fraud.
If your credit card was used in John Lewis you wouldn’t expect JL to fix the problem.
Contact EE again and ask to speak to their fraud team.

Also did your son really not know what is going on? Could be bullying or something else.
Got it fixed i think but been a whole day will now have to wait and see if its now off bill
He said his pal got the codes for free and he asked if he would put his mobile number in

So i suspect he put my sons mobile number ln and entered his own email as my son got no codes or conformation

My son had then got texts to confirm and had clicked them all

Basically i think one of his pals has stitched him up
madmax66615 m ago

He said his pal got the codes for free and he asked if he would put his …He said his pal got the codes for free and he asked if he would put his mobile number inSo i suspect he put my sons mobile number ln and entered his own email as my son got no codes or conformation My son had then got texts to confirm and had clicked them all Basically i think one of his pals has stitched him up

If I were you. I'd find out who this kid is and inform his parents. That is rather dodgy thing to do to a friend. And for a few hundred quid as well.

This could've ended badly and you having to foot the bill for this kid, and most likely invole the police (might not be a bad idea to give this kid a slap of realism).
kos1c20 m ago

If I were you. I'd find out who this kid is and inform his parents. That …If I were you. I'd find out who this kid is and inform his parents. That is rather dodgy thing to do to a friend. And for a few hundred quid as well. This could've ended badly and you having to foot the bill for this kid, and most likely invole the police (might not be a bad idea to give this kid a slap of realism).

Also good chance the kid knew what he was doing and has targeted others.
Oneday7749 m ago

Ultimately it is the credit providers responsibility. You are reporting …Ultimately it is the credit providers responsibility. You are reporting fraud. If your credit card was used in John Lewis you wouldn’t expect JL to fix the problem. Contact EE again and ask to speak to their fraud team. Also did your son really not know what is going on? Could be bullying or something else.

I’m sure there are some additional factors. You probably have to be over 16 and the texts
kos1c21 m ago

If I were you. I'd find out who this kid is and inform his parents. That …If I were you. I'd find out who this kid is and inform his parents. That is rather dodgy thing to do to a friend. And for a few hundred quid as well. This could've ended badly and you having to foot the bill for this kid, and most likely invole the police (might not be a bad idea to give this kid a slap of realism).

I’d contact the police. It’s fraud and provide the kids details to them. They maybe doing it to other kids.
Also give the kid a good kicking.
How old is your son. He sounds incredibly gullible.
mhance11 m ago

How old is your son. He sounds incredibly gullible.

Helpful mate 😔
madmax6664 h, 49 m ago

He said his pal got the codes for free and he asked if he would put his …He said his pal got the codes for free and he asked if he would put his mobile number inSo i suspect he put my sons mobile number ln and entered his own email as my son got no codes or conformation My son had then got texts to confirm and had clicked them all Basically i think one of his pals has stitched him up

When you buy credit by mobile on PSN, you receive the following text message:

'FreeMsg: To confirm you wish to proceed with your purchase of £XX.XX from Sony reply Y to this message. Help? 020235282665'.

I am wondering if your son was in on this and hoped you wouldn't notice the credit on your bill. If very clearly states the amounts, nothing about codes or free anything. If he's unable to show you any messages, I would be wondering if he deleted them on purpose.

The limit on a PlayStation wallet was £120 if I recall correctly. I think it was raised last year, but I would be surprised if it was all the way to £300. Also you can only make 3 top up a month by mobile and the maximum amount you can load each time is £50. This sounds like systematic abuse over multiple accounts. The whole thing doesn't stack up.

Your son must be on uncapped contract for this to happen too? Probably not wise.
Edited by: "MSK." 3rd Mar
MSK.9 m ago

When you buy credit by mobile on PSN, you receive the following text …When you buy credit by mobile on PSN, you receive the following text message:'FreeMsg: To confirm you wish to proceed with your purchase of £XX.XX from Sony reply Y to this message. Help? 020235282665'.I am wondering if your son was in on this and hoped you wouldn't notice the credit on your bill. If very clearly states the amounts, nothing about codes or free anything. If he's unable to show you any messages, I would be wondering if he deleted them on purpose.The limit on a PlayStation wallet was £120 if I recall correctly. I think it was raised last year, but I would be surprised if it was all the way to £300. Also you can only make 3 top up a month by mobile and the maximum amount you can load each time is £50. This sounds like systematic abuse over multiple accounts. The whole thing doesn't stack up.Your son must be on uncapped contract for this to happen too? Probably not wise.

If true, telling him the police are seizing his phone to investigate fraud and to check if messages have been deleted will probably result in him admitting it.
dataload55 m ago

If true, telling him the police are seizing his phone to investigate fraud …If true, telling him the police are seizing his phone to investigate fraud and to check if messages have been deleted will probably result in him admitting it.

That might work if he's quite young, but if he's a teenager I really doubt it.
MSK.21 m ago

That might work if he's quite young, but if he's a teenager I really …That might work if he's quite young, but if he's a teenager I really doubt it.

At risk of losing all communication with the outside world would probably shake him up I bet.
Sadly you need a bit of parental control, maybe keep an eye on your kids from time to time instead of leaving them alone to game. Little life lesson for yourself.
MSK.3rd Mar

When you buy credit by mobile on PSN, you receive the following text …When you buy credit by mobile on PSN, you receive the following text message:'FreeMsg: To confirm you wish to proceed with your purchase of £XX.XX from Sony reply Y to this message. Help? 020235282665'.I am wondering if your son was in on this and hoped you wouldn't notice the credit on your bill. If very clearly states the amounts, nothing about codes or free anything. If he's unable to show you any messages, I would be wondering if he deleted them on purpose.The limit on a PlayStation wallet was £120 if I recall correctly. I think it was raised last year, but I would be surprised if it was all the way to £300. Also you can only make 3 top up a month by mobile and the maximum amount you can load each time is £50. This sounds like systematic abuse over multiple accounts. The whole thing doesn't stack up.Your son must be on uncapped contract for this to happen too? Probably not wise.

Thanks have established that about sums it all up that was exact messages he got and because he never got anything kept clicking yes to them all over a long period looks like £30 a time

But its fixed now with EE but cant go in all guns blazing with his pal as it could just be a typo on the email addy anyway psn can sort that out
my little brother was using my mum's PayPal, i quickly tomd her, there should have no control over money unless it there own, she quickly changed her passwords and kept a eye out, some children are smart and no what there doing but don't realise how expensive thing's are, like when there always ask for expensive present not knowing how manuy bills you got to pay, always too talk to them to make sure there understand and that there is consequences too action. a friendly word with the parents wouldn't hurt, just don't accuse but tell ya story. phones and money are big responsibility , stuff at the younger age i didn't have to worry about but these day's there do
madmax6664 h, 7 m ago

Thanks have established that about sums it all up that was exact messages …Thanks have established that about sums it all up that was exact messages he got and because he never got anything kept clicking yes to them all over a long period looks like £30 a timeBut its fixed now with EE but cant go in all guns blazing with his pal as it could just be a typo on the email addy anyway psn can sort that out

How did you fix it with EE? It would be helpful to know for others for future reference.
madmax6666 h, 44 m ago

Thanks have established that about sums it all up that was exact messages …Thanks have established that about sums it all up that was exact messages he got and because he never got anything kept clicking yes to them all over a long period looks like £30 a timeBut its fixed now with EE but cant go in all guns blazing with his pal as it could just be a typo on the email addy anyway psn can sort that out

Someone has clearly either tricked your lad in to this or your lad has done it knowingly.

Either way I would be taking drastic action against someone.

As it's £300 worth of deception / fraud / lies, the fact that it's been resolved via your provider should make no difference to punishing the individual(s) who caused the problem.
Edited by: "dataload" 4th Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions