Playstation Now full service launched today in UK - free 1 week trial, thereafter £12.99/month unlimited, 100 PS3 titles at launch

Found 9th Oct 2015
Playstation Now has moved out of Beta and the full service is now available in the UK.

Stream full PS3 games to PS4, PS3, Vita and selected Bravia TVs. 100 games available at launch including Uncharted 3, God of War: Ascension, Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us.

Free 1 week unlimited trial. After that you can either: a) as in the Beta, rent individual games for crazy prices (either 2 days or 30 days from £2.99), or b) get an unlimited subscription for £12.99/month (which seems like fairly good value if you're going to play at least 2 or 3 games a month).

I played both Shadow of the Colossus and Heavy Rain to completion through PS Now during the Beta and I thought the service was great. Games run very well, load up relatively quickly with no noticeable lag on my modest ~12Mb/s connection. I was really impressed and would subscribe myself if my existing backlog weren't so vast!
Community Updates
28 Comments
Original Poster
Edited by: "cannibalwombat" 9th Oct 2015
Banned
which bravia tvs?
Well, they've got it right with a subscription model rather than one-off 'rentals' - but it's too pricey for me, especially with PS+ games and full releases still to play!
powerjumps18

which bravia tvs?

Read the blog post

*The PS Now beta will be available on PS4 and select Sony Bravia TVs:

Day 1 – 2015 Series: X94C, X93C, X90C, S85C, S80C, X85C, X83C, W85C, W80C, W75C, W70C Series

Later date – 2014 Series: X95B, X90B, S90B, X85B, W95B, W85B, W80B, W70B, W60B, W58B Series Sony Blu-ray Players

Day 1 – 2015 Series: BDP-S6500, BDP-S5500, BDP-S4500, BDP-S3500, BDP-S1500
Original Poster
Illusionary

Well, they've got it right with a subscription model rather than one-off … Well, they've got it right with a subscription model rather than one-off 'rentals' - but it's too pricey for me, especially with PS+ games and full releases still to play!

Agreed and same for me. I think £12.99 a month is reasonable, but only really if you're going to exclusively play PS3 games for a while. Maybe next spring when there's a release drought and the service is better stocked (and perhaps slightly cheaper?) I will give it a shot and play a shed load of them for a month or two!
Is there a list of UK available games knockin about?
Krooner

Is there a list of UK available games knockin about?

Post #1 shows the boxart for all of them.
Far too pricey for me.
Hows this thing work with trophies? You still get them?
wiggywig

I don't see any reason that you wouldn't.
Original Poster
wiggywig

Works exactly the same, as though the disc were in your console.
deleted335097
Yet the PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3 discs, well what a load of crap, scheming Japs
Edited by: "deleted335097" 10th Oct 2015
I've compiled a list of all the games currently available in the UK and popped them on a free website LINKY. The above image is for the US market.

If you look at the list, most games got a decent enough score on Metacritic, we will just pretend Farming Simulator isn't there.
£156 pa for this service.
Are Sony having a laugh?
12.99... Really Sony? Really...
way too expensive. I take my time finishing a game due to having a life, so this would cost me a fortune just to finish one game. shame as it is a really good idea. only suitable for gamers who spend all day playing games. you would be under pressure to finish the game asap all the time to get your money's worth.
Illusionary

Post #1 shows the boxart for all of them.

That is the US offerings. The UK PS Now does not have some of those games on there.
Far too expensive, should be priced at around 3.99 a month
deleted335097
deleted57959

The PS4 isnt BC because of the CELL processor being far to different for … The PS4 isnt BC because of the CELL processor being far to different for the X86 processor in the PS4..MS can do it because the XENON is relatively easy to emulate.

I knew that, yet I can pay a monthly subscription and it works, they can't create create an app that emulates the Cell processor environment?
It is just outside of my price range at £12.99, I'd pay £9.99 and have PS+ included. I can see why they've put it at £12.99 but it is just a bit too much.

Rough comparison of other media offerings:
Netlfix £5.99.
Spotify £9.99.
Apple Music £9.99.
Amazon Prime £79/year (£6.58 per month).
Sky Sports Mobile - All Channels £9.99 (£4.99 for those on original sub).
Edited by: "super_leeds_86" 12th Oct 2015
Let's see, £169 a year.

£70-80 Second hand PS3
£89-99 worth of second hand PS3 titles, with re-trade in values.

I know which one offers better value.

Edited by: "cicobuff" 12th Oct 2015
moose109

I've compiled a list of all the games currently available in the UK and … I've compiled a list of all the games currently available in the UK and popped them on a free website LINKY. The above image is for the US market.If you look at the list, most games got a decent enough score on Metacritic, we will just pretend Farming Simulator isn't there.

Thanks for the list. I want to use the free trial to see whether streaming PS3 games to a Vita is any good; Ratchet & Clank ACIT and Resistance 3 seems like good test cases
This is a crazy price, considering that the Wii U is backwards compatible and Xbox One is soon too. Also Xbox games seem to be doing a cool thing where they give away the prequel when you buy the sequel!

For the price of a year you could get a PS3 and the best games for it and sell it on when you are done! Also the Last of Us on PS4 was new at 14.99 the other day, this is £2 more than 1 months cost and you could sell it on.

What are SONY thinking with these prices?

cicobuff

Let's see, £169 a year.£70-80 Second hand PS3£89-99 worth of second hand P … Let's see, £169 a year.£70-80 Second hand PS3£89-99 worth of second hand PS3 titles, with re-trade in values.I know which one offers better value.

Literally thinking the same thing! They should just have two tiers of PSN and bolt this on for an extra £20 a year. At £1.50ish a month on top of PSN fees I am sure a lot would buy.
Original Poster
SDLiam

Literally thinking the same thing! They should just have two tiers of PSN … Literally thinking the same thing! They should just have two tiers of PSN and bolt this on for an extra £20 a year. At £1.50ish a month on top of PSN fees I am sure a lot would buy.

This would seem like a sensible strategy. I can't see them getting a lot of subscribers at current prices but I'm sure many would sign up as an extension to PS+.

It has only just launched. I wouldn't be surprised if it does go that way eventually, or at least drop in price or for there to be a promotion around Christmas (£9.99 a month or something). That said, this is a unique service on consoles which took a hefty initial investment (acquisition of Gaiki) and quite a lot of development time/money. So we can't expect Sony to give it away. We should remember that these games are run for you elsewhere and don't take any hard-drive space. It's easy to let one's inner 'entitled gamer' get a bit carried away!

Also I don't think game streaming can *quite* be equally equated with film/music streaming. Apples and oranges.

Edited by: "cannibalwombat" 12th Oct 2015
They should've kept it under a tenner a month. Seems pretty pricy, and doubt you can account share with ps now.
most of the games have been out on plus anyhows
I'd consider dipping in & out of this if it were for ALL the PS3 games but for a subset of 100, of which I'd play a subset of about 10... Pass!
They need to switch to putting everything in the subscription or making everything 1-time purchases.
Another good idea wrecked by the Sony finance department
What's next? Proprietary memory cards that cost 8-10 times that of industry standard memory? (_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants