Groups

PlayStation Now game streaming to be discontinued on PS3, smart TVs, and more

Editor
    http://i.imgur.com/YOtOQzj.png
    (via The Verge)

Starting this summer the PlayStation Now game streaming service will only be available on PlayStation 4 and PC. Today Sony announced that it will be discontinuing the service on a wide range of platforms, including the PS3, PS Vita, PlayStation TV, and all supported smart TVs and Blu-ray players. The discontinuation will go into effect as of August 15th, 2017.

“After thoughtful consideration, we decided to shift our focus and resources to PS4 and Windows PC to further develop and improve the user experience on these two devices,” Sony explained in a brief blog post. “This move puts us in the best position to grow the service even further.” PlayStation Now made its debut on PS4 in 2014, and lets subscribers stream a selection of PS3 games for a fixed monthly price. It expanded to PC last August.

20 Comments

PlayStation TV= rubbish. There's no other use for it anymore.

Sucks considering they were still pushing it on certain tvs a couple of weeks ago.

mixmixi

PlayStation TV= rubbish. There's no other use for it anymore.

Having used it for the first time, I agree. The Vita games can be nicer to play on a full screen and controller but that takes away the whole point of having a Vita and the best games aren't compatible.

Remote play just isn't worth having on it

Anyone who plays it on a PlayStation TV will be absolutely gutted

Sony and Microsoft have done a really interesting thing this generation. They have shown firstly how not to launch and console and how to launch a console... sales reflect that but then Microsoft have shown how to listen to customers and adapt and give what people want.

Sony have shown that with huge market share you can act the fool and treat customers with contempt.

Treating customers with contempt didn't work for Microsoft on launch and I hope it shoots Sony in the foot too and they have made some really horrible choices pretty much as soon as the ps4 started to sell.

Microsoft the opposite. Although they had no choice

I'm no fanboy I own both. Both companies fighting for sales is what we need.

Sony have launched and failed to support properly a few things now and it's scandalous!

Banned

I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest. It just wasn't popular from the off. It just didn't provide the backwards compatible solution people were hoping for, didn't even come close, made even worse by charging people to play games they already owned digitally.

Every time new games were added, it was just greeted with comments of "why didn't you do BC properly" or other such comments along that line.

I never used it and had no desire to. So I'm not that fussed.

joanddan7

Sony and Microsoft have done a really interesting thing this generation. … Sony and Microsoft have done a really interesting thing this generation. They have shown firstly how not to launch and console and how to launch a console... sales reflect that but then Microsoft have shown how to listen to customers and adapt and give what people want. Sony have shown that with huge market share you can act the fool and treat customers with contempt.Treating customers with contempt didn't work for Microsoft on launch and I hope it shoots Sony in the foot too and they have made some really horrible choices pretty much as soon as the ps4 started to sell.Microsoft the opposite. Although they had no choiceI'm no fanboy I own both. Both companies fighting for sales is what we need. Sony have launched and failed to support properly a few things now and it's scandalous!

I've said many times in various threads that it is always better to be on the "losing" side.
    Unfortunately I very much doubt Sony will see much of a shift of their market share, MS need to up their game further especially with regards to exclusives.

PS Now is always going to fail (imo) due to its pricing model, I do find it odd that they have cancelled it for existing hardware which probably didn't add much to the overall overheads (support etc..)...which leads me to think that the days of PS Now are numbered.

Marcoos

I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest. It just wasn't popular … I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest. It just wasn't popular from the off. It just didn't provide the backwards compatible solution people were hoping for, didn't even come close, made even worse by charging people to play games they already owned digitally. Every time new games were added, it was just greeted with comments of "why didn't you do BC properly" or other such comments along that line. I never used it and had no desire to. So I'm not that fussed.

Price was the main reason for this. They could have easily made it reasonably priced or made it a free rental of the digital license of a game was owned, but no. They went full Sony.

joanddan7

Sony and Microsoft have done a really interesting thing this generation. … Sony and Microsoft have done a really interesting thing this generation. They have shown firstly how not to launch and console and how to launch a console... sales reflect that but then Microsoft have shown how to listen to customers and adapt and give what people want. Sony have shown that with huge market share you can act the fool and treat customers with contempt.Treating customers with contempt didn't work for Microsoft on launch and I hope it shoots Sony in the foot too and they have made some really horrible choices pretty much as soon as the ps4 started to sell.Microsoft the opposite. Although they had no choiceI'm no fanboy I own both. Both companies fighting for sales is what we need. Sony have launched and failed to support properly a few things now and it's scandalous!

I pretty much came to say what Andy did, it's better as a consumer to be on the losing side of sales. There's been a complete 180 since launch, PS has f'd up time after time and Xbox has excelled.

Marcoos

I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest. It just wasn't popular … I'm surprised it lasted this long to be honest. It just wasn't popular from the off. It just didn't provide the backwards compatible solution people were hoping for, didn't even come close, made even worse by charging people to play games they already owned digitally. Every time new games were added, it was just greeted with comments of "why didn't you do BC properly" or other such comments along that line. I never used it and had no desire to. So I'm not that fussed.

joanddan7

What would you buy now if you had neither? I have a 360 but haven't played it in 5+ years... Ive been considering buying a ps4 because the exclusive games seem more interesting. I'm not really interested in online

Rom

What would you buy now if you had neither? I have a 360 but haven't … What would you buy now if you had neither? I have a 360 but haven't played it in 5+ years... Ive been considering buying a ps4 because the exclusive games seem more interesting. I'm not really interested in online

PS4 if you want to buy now, there is a reason the exclusives have dried up for Xbox One, and it's called Project Scorpio. They will come out of the gate at E3 or the Scorpio reveal with a handful of exclusives that have been designed for Scorpio, Xbox One is a machine MS want rid of, sure they'll give all the "No-one get's left behind" PR because if they didn't, it would be commercial suicide.

But Scorpio will be too expensive, if the spec is anything to go by, and Sony will just reduce the price of the Pro thus mopping up, Sony learned a hard lession with the stupidly expensive PS3. PS4 Pro will use dynamic 4k, whereas Scorpio will be 4k/30 on some titles, not all as 6 tflops doesn't drive a full fat 4k experience. But to the untrained eye, read: anyone but Digital Foundry, they won't see the difference other than Pro being £150 cheaper.
    Edited by: "Pokkai" 15th Feb

Rom

What would you buy now if you had neither? I have a 360 but haven't … What would you buy now if you had neither? I have a 360 but haven't played it in 5+ years... Ive been considering buying a ps4 because the exclusive games seem more interesting. I'm not really interested in online

​I'd pick the ps4 still
    My xbox one barely gets used. Due to a few factors.

Home UI can be confusing at times (rarely use it). The digital store is pretty messy and again you can spend more time lost on it.

The system slows down because it's trying to run everything at once. Large home screen, snap features sit in the background.
    Different social tabs taking up ram.

The xbox one is a poorly optimised system with lacking power to do what's most important.

I would've sold my xbox one, but the exclusives I want to play are split screen games like the gears series, halo series (excluding 5), and the option for backwards compatibility is why it still sits under my tv. Oh and it's only worth about 100 bucks so no point in shifting before I get through my library of games.

Pokkai

PS4 if you want to buy now, there is a reason the exclusives have dried … PS4 if you want to buy now, there is a reason the exclusives have dried up for Xbox One, and it's called Project Scorpio. They will come out of the gate at E3 or the Scorpio reveal with a handful of exclusives that have been designed for Scorpio, Xbox One is a machine MS want rid of, sure they'll give all the "No-one get's left behind PR" because if they didn't, it would be commercial suicide.But Scorpio will be too expensive, if the spec is anything to go by, and Sony will just reduce the price of the Pro thus mopping up, Sony learned a hard lession with the stupidly expensive PS3. PS4 Pro will use dynamic 4k, whereas Scorpio will be 4k/30 on some titles, not all as 6 tflops doesn't drive a full fat 4k experience. But to the untrained eye, read: anyone but Digital Foundry, they won't see the difference other than Pro being £150 cheaper.

Scorpio is like PS4 pro, not a new gen? Is it worth getting a pro over a regular PS4? I can Google if you get bored

Rom

Scorpio is like PS4 pro, not a new gen? Is it worth getting a pro over a … Scorpio is like PS4 pro, not a new gen? Is it worth getting a pro over a regular PS4? I can Google if you get bored

Yeah pro is current gen. A mid gen upgrade like Scorpio. It's worth getting definitely, the recent boost mode makes games much better and there's 4k.

It's a really hard choice deciding between the two. I've grown to love my Xbox, there's so many aspects I prefer to PS4 (UI, better customer service, better as a media centre, backwards compatible, games with gold).

When it comes down to just gaming however I'd have to give PS4 the edge. I don't like most Xbox exclusives. I just don't. Halo and Gears bore me, Quantum Break was really fun but not essential, recore I can't bring myself to finish, rare replay I've not played yet, Ori was boring (I don't like those type of games). Forza Motorsport is a boring sim... However Horizon 3. Wow. I have to say that's my favourite exclusive this gen, even over uncharted 4 (excluding tlou as that's a remaster). As a racing fan it's an all time great racer.

PS4 just had better exclusives and much more variety. Plus there's plenty of aspects it outshines the Xbox in. I just hate how average the PS+ games are and then crap like this thread. How bad they've been at treating customers recently and at supporting their products. But gaming alone PS4. It's worth upgrading now you probably won't even suffer from PS+ as much if you're not going online.

Wow all the experts already know how much the Scorpio will be.
    Fact or rumour?

Wonder whether support for Mac remote-play will be continued down the line.

I noticed in the 4.50 beta update that Mac remote-play isn't allowed, but not sure whether this is just Mac specific or for all remote-play features stopped in the beta.

thedvdmonster

Wow all the experts already know how much the Scorpio will be. Fact or … Wow all the experts already know how much the Scorpio will be. Fact or rumour?

So would you if you paid more attention to it instead of being a smart ass

kos1c

Bure11

Pokkai

Thanks for the advice guys, PS4 it is
    Edited by: "Cr0m" 16th Feb

kos1c

Bure11

Pokkai

If you're gonna get PS4, i'd recommend the Pro if your purse can stretch, it will give you a better experience than vanilla, and will be ready for a 4k set if you upgrade your telly in the future.

Edited by: "Pokkai" 16th Feb

thedvdmonster

Wow all the experts already know how much the Scorpio will be. Fact or … Wow all the experts already know how much the Scorpio will be. Fact or rumour?

Neither, more common sense, if Sony had to sacrifice the 4k Blu-ray drive to achieve a £350 price point for the Pro, how do you expect MS to price Scorpio in the same ballpark when it will use the new AMD Vega/Ryzen tech, simple; they won't.

kos1c

Bure11

Pokkai

Yeah, I'll get a pro I'd regret otherwise
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. It was forty years ago today......617
      2. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …917
      3. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2562
      4. word survey46

See more discussions