Playstation Now Gets A Monthly Subscription (US) $19.99 a month.

Banned 46 replies
Found 5th Jan 2015
100+ PS3 Games. All-you-can-play. One monthly price.

19.99$ per month. $44.99 for 3 months.

So when launching in the UK looks like a subscription will be available. Going by the US prices probably £15-£20 a month.

You’ve been able to rent games through PlayStation Now for several months now, but many of you have asked –- what about a subscription? I’m pleased to announce that starting January 13th, we’ll launch a subscription service for PlayStation Now that will provide instant and unlimited access to a catalog of more than 100 PS3 games. And since you’re using PlayStation Now, you can enjoy the freedom to quickly discover and play a wide range of full games without downloads, installs, or patches (not to mention trips to the store). The subscription service will be available first on PS4 across North America, and will come to other PlayStation Now enabled devices in the future.
You’ll be able to choose from two subscription plans: one month for $19.99, or a three-month package for $44.99 (about $15 per month). The subscription provides access to a large and diverse catalog of PS3 games, ranging from action to RPG and everything in-between. Check out our launch trailer for a sneak peek.

46 Comments

will we get ps now on ps4 i think usa do

Original Poster Banned

davver99

will we get ps now on ps4 i think usa do

Yes the US does. Europe is later this year.

If you're a binge gamer then this seems ok, but don't think i will be able to justify the price tag.

Needs a yearly sub.
And then a combo with ps plus for a year. (still need those cloud saves etc)

But I feel it won't be worth it for me I don't even pay for wow anymore as I can hardly play. So binge ftw.

Banned

A Super Plus, or Plus+ would be a good idea, £75 for the year which includes all the PS Plus goodies and unlimited game streams would be a winner. Not for me I hasten to add, I don't have time to play the Plus games I have now.

good find op, good price

This will be too expensive for the UK market I'd say. As the US price usually translates to GBP (e.g. $19.99 = £19.99). The only people I think that would get value out of this are those that never had a PS3 (and want to play lots of the back catalogue of games) and maybe for kids (i.e parent pays for this rather than buying their kids loads of games each month).

I would probably only pay absolute max £10 a month for this, with PS4 games being my main focus, I could not see me playing more than 1 PS3 game a month and I could buy almost all PS3 games for £10 or less. I agree with the comment about an extra PS+ tier that includes this, make it about £120 a year in total and most people would probably pay for it.

Is this the future of gaming? Subscription services for random games unknown, never owned by you that vanish when your subscription runs out? If so count me out.

would never give Sony a sniff of my credit card anyway they have 0 security

Banned

Error440

Is this the future of gaming? Subscription services for random games … Is this the future of gaming? Subscription services for random games unknown, never owned by you that vanish when your subscription runs out? If so count me out.would never give Sony a sniff of my credit card anyway they have 0 security

If only there were film and music services that worked in the same way.....

Error440

Is this the future of gaming? Subscription services for random games … Is this the future of gaming? Subscription services for random games unknown, never owned by you that vanish when your subscription runs out? If so count me out.would never give Sony a sniff of my credit card anyway they have 0 security

If there was an actual gaming equivalent of spotify,as in you get 95% of all new games on it, I'd pay a good amount of money for that.

Netflix £5.99 a month = £71.88
Spotify £9.99 or £100 annual
PS+ £40 annual

Game streaming £19.99 (direct translation) ?

If they made it available on iOS, Android, Televisions (Other than Bravia - Samsung is a good start), then maybe, although I'm still not sure, maximum I'd probably pay is £9.99 as I presume it will be old games.

KevClark1985

If there was an actual gaming equivalent of spotify,as in you get 95% of … If there was an actual gaming equivalent of spotify,as in you get 95% of all new games on it, I'd pay a good amount of money for that.

I wouldn't I would happily have it free with adverts like Spotify.

Error440

I wouldn't I would happily have it free with adverts like Spotify.

You want your game interrupted with adverts? every say 15 mins like spotify?

super_leeds_86

Netflix £5.99 a month = £71.88Spotify £9.99 or £100 annualPS+ £40 annual G … Netflix £5.99 a month = £71.88Spotify £9.99 or £100 annualPS+ £40 annual Game streaming £19.99 (direct translation) ?If they made it available on iOS, Android, Televisions (Other than Bravia - Samsung is a good start), then maybe, although I'm still not sure, maximum I'd probably pay is £9.99 as I presume it will be old games.

I think the price jump is probably that the rrp of games is much higher than music/movies (but I agree its too much)

Rough pricing:

An album is about £10
A movie is about £10-15 (depending on DVD/Blu Ray)
A game is about £40

super_leeds_86

Netflix £5.99 a month = £71.88Spotify £9.99 or £100 annualPS+ £40 annual G … Netflix £5.99 a month = £71.88Spotify £9.99 or £100 annualPS+ £40 annual Game streaming £19.99 (direct translation) ?If they made it available on iOS, Android, Televisions (Other than Bravia - Samsung is a good start), then maybe, although I'm still not sure, maximum I'd probably pay is £9.99 as I presume it will be old games.

You cant have the games playable on other platforms such as phones, because that would require porting the game to touchscreen controls, and obviously smart TV's don't work with game controllers.

KevClark1985

You want your game interrupted with adverts? every say 15 mins like … You want your game interrupted with adverts? every say 15 mins like spotify? I think the price jump is probably that the rrp of games is much higher than music/movies (but I agree its too much)Rough pricing:An album is about £10A movie is about £10-15 (depending on DVD/Blu Ray)A game is about £40

I don't mind a pop up banner at the bottom or top like on mobile games, I've not paid 40 quid for just a game with no extras since.... nope cant think of any

curtis392

You cant have the games playable on other platforms such as phones, … You cant have the games playable on other platforms such as phones, because that would require porting the game to touchscreen controls, and obviously smart TV's don't work with game controllers.

1. Bravias and Samsung are confirmed to have streaming support/or have it coming.....
2. Game controllers compatible with iOS and Android exist, and so could a Playstation branded official one....

Original Poster Banned

curtis392

You cant have the games playable on other platforms such as phones, … You cant have the games playable on other platforms such as phones, because that would require porting the game to touchscreen controls, and obviously smart TV's don't work with game controllers.

No it wouldn't. Remote play. Phones could play them just fine and you can get controllers working on them. I have remote play and PS4 pad can be used on it. You can also get mobile controllers.

Either an add on (like chromecast) or an extra being built into new TV's would also make straight to TV streaming possible.

That's bloody expensive oO £30 for 3 months (Although the actual UK price will probably be more than that). Although there probably isn't a point in this anyway as any game worth playing on PS Now will probably be remade for current gen consoles anyway.

Banned

Bure11

That's bloody expensive oO £30 for 3 months (Although the actual UK price … That's bloody expensive oO £30 for 3 months (Although the actual UK price will probably be more than that). Although there probably isn't a point in this anyway as any game worth playing on PS Now will probably be remade for current gen consoles anyway.

Cheaper than the 'per play' pricing but still quite a lot. I suppose it's all right-ish if you don't have a console but as it lies it's not for me.

It's like if Netflix was SD and more expensive, no thanks haha

Error440

I don't mind a pop up banner at the bottom or top like on mobile games, … I don't mind a pop up banner at the bottom or top like on mobile games, I've not paid 40 quid for just a game with no extras since.... nope cant think of any

I don't buy many games at full retail price, as I am willing to wait for most to become a bit cheaper, but having adverts every 15 mins on a PS3/PS4 game is utterly ridiculous.

The mobile market is totally different, most games are to kill time and a small banner is not obtrusive for most people, for a full blown AAA title though, it would ruin the game.

Playing FIFA and a banner pops up on screen as you are taking a shot, playing COD and a banner pops up resulting in you getting killed, playing Gran Turismo and a banner pops up causing you to crash, this would be infuriating. On a mobile game, I'm sure my bit of candy on candy crush is going nowhere as a result of a banner popup...it's totally different.

KevClark1985

I don't buy many games at full retail price, as I am willing to wait for … I don't buy many games at full retail price, as I am willing to wait for most to become a bit cheaper, but having adverts every 15 mins on a PS3/PS4 game is utterly ridiculous. The mobile market is totally different, most games are to kill time and a small banner is not obtrusive for most people, for a full blown AAA title though, it would ruin the game. Playing FIFA and a banner pops up on screen as you are taking a shot, playing COD and a banner pops up resulting in you getting killed, playing Gran Turismo and a banner pops up causing you to crash, this would be infuriating. On a mobile game, I'm sure my bit of candy on candy crush is going nowhere as a result of a banner popup...it's totally different.

wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I am used to notifications popping up, doing 2 things at once and people wanting my attention, its just a game not rocket science it doesn't requires total solitude with no distractions.

Banned

Error440

wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I am used to notifications popping … wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I am used to notifications popping up, doing 2 things at once and people wanting my attention, its just a game not rocket science it doesn't requires total solitude with no distractions.

Gaming is all about the immersion for me.

Lights off, doors shut, curtains drawn, JD and Coke by my side.

Bliss

KillFelix

Gaming is all about the immersion for me.Lights off, doors shut, curtains … Gaming is all about the immersion for me.Lights off, doors shut, curtains drawn, JD and Coke by my side.Bliss

as long as you are not like my boyfriend I hate people like him, locks himself in the room morning noon and night with his precious ps4 swearing at anyone who dares disturb him and getting increasingly angry swearing at games, he spends all his time pkaying that stupid thing.

had a few like him at work when I was a games tester, deadly serious getting wound up by games and swearing they normally got kicked out within 2 weeks, I don't understand why anyone would do something that makes them so angry, thats hardly a good hobby

Original Poster Banned

Error440

as long as you are not like my boyfriend I hate people like him,

Made me laugh

Banned

Error440

as long as you are not like my boyfriend I hate people like him, locks … as long as you are not like my boyfriend I hate people like him, locks himself in the room morning noon and night with his precious ps4 swearing at anyone who dares disturb him and getting increasingly angry swearing at games, he spends all his time pkaying that stupid thing.had a few like him at work when I was a games tester, deadly serious getting wound up by games and swearing they normally got kicked out within 2 weeks, I don't understand why anyone would do something that makes them so angry, thats hardly a good hobby

Haha no I'm not that bad. I used to get wound playing CoD online but not so much anymore (It was costing me a fortune in broken Dualshock 3's lol..).

I only ever play when my OH is out of the house as I know she get's bored when I play games and TBH when she's home I'd rather spend time with her than shooting people anyway

She works in the evening so I get a couple of hours after work to do some chores and play a quick game of something before she gets back. Tried playing Alien Isolation but couldn't because I'm too much of a wimp and can't play it alone in the house, so I invited a couple of friends round and got them to play it for me haha

KillFelix

Haha no I'm not that bad. I used to get wound playing CoD online but not … Haha no I'm not that bad. I used to get wound playing CoD online but not so much anymore (It was costing me a fortune in broken Dualshock 3's lol..).I only ever play when my OH is out of the house as I know she get's bored when I play games and TBH when she's home I'd rather spend time with her than shooting people anyway :DShe works in the evening so I get a couple of hours after work to do some chores and play a quick game of something before she gets back. Tried playing Alien Isolation but couldn't because I'm too much of a wimp and can't play it alone in the house, so I invited a couple of friends round and got them to play it for me haha

pah! Its just a game, best horror game was Gregory horror show, alien isolation sounds kind of similar in a way, what with all the hiding, I might get it when its cheap like a tenner

Banned

Error440

pah! Its just a game, best horror game was Gregory horror show, alien … pah! Its just a game, best horror game was Gregory horror show, alien isolation sounds kind of similar in a way, what with all the hiding, I might get it when its cheap like a tenner

I kept telling myself that but then I nearly soiled myself at one point and then decided it was best to switch it off.

Doom 3 when that came out - now that was a pant-filler!

KillFelix

I kept telling myself that but then I nearly soiled myself at one point … I kept telling myself that but then I nearly soiled myself at one point and then decided it was best to switch it off.Doom 3 when that came out - now that was a pant-filler!

really? Didn't bother me in the slightest, nothing really surprised you, you could see those set bits coming.
have you played any project zero/fatal frame games? I got 1 on ps2 still haven't played it properly, tested it when I got it and ended up emptying my camera fast on some specter that kept trying to strangle me and my little friend/sister whatever.

My first pant filler was Jurassic Park on the Snes! First time I tried to go into a door with light off n a **** T-rex did me!

No way would I pay the prices of the service. No chance. I love gaming but when its cost on top of cost on top of more cost, no chance! Rather get the Snes out!

I'm interested in this Call of Duty online thing in the works. Ftp, hope it takes off in its Chinese beta!

Banned

Error440

really? Didn't bother me in the slightest, nothing really surprised you, … really? Didn't bother me in the slightest, nothing really surprised you, you could see those set bits coming.have you played any project zero/fatal frame games? I got 1 on ps2 still haven't played it properly, tested it when I got it and ended up emptying my camera fast on some specter that kept trying to strangle me and my little friend/sister whatever.

Yeah I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror games, although weirdly I'm completely unphased by horror movies. I can watch them all day long without a problem.

Not played those games, never heard of them TBH but by the sounds of it I'll stay away from them haha

You tried the Silent Hills demo/teaser called PT?

Balls. PS3 games are cheap as chips, how is £240 a year good value for games you can pick up for a couple of quid and keep forever?

KillFelix

Yeah I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror games, although weirdly … Yeah I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to horror games, although weirdly I'm completely unphased by horror movies. I can watch them all day long without a problem.Not played those games, never heard of them TBH but by the sounds of it I'll stay away from them hahaYou tried the Silent Hills demo/teaser called PT?

I watched misery guts play it, it looked boring, sort of looked a bit like fatal frame actually only without any action

youtube.com/wat…Ip8

]Your text here[/url]
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 5th Jan 2015

Original Poster Banned

moneysavingkitten

Balls. PS3 games are cheap as chips, how is £240 a year good value for … Balls. PS3 games are cheap as chips, how is £240 a year good value for games you can pick up for a couple of quid and keep forever?

You don't have a PS3 ? Not sure the service is meant to be had every month every year. Could just do a month. I would rather play them on PS4 as i thought PS3 was terrible and got rid of it.

Edited by: "jaystan" 5th Jan 2015

jaystan

You don't have a PS3 ? Not sure the service is meant to be had every … You don't have a PS3 ? Not sure the service is meant to be had every month every year. Could just do a month. I would rather play them on PS4 as i thought PS3 was terrible and got rid of it.

So it allows you to play PS3 games on PS4? Is that what you are getting at?

U.S can keep it.

moneysavingkitten

So it allows you to play PS3 games on PS4? Is that what you are getting … So it allows you to play PS3 games on PS4? Is that what you are getting at?

if its anything like the selection of past gen games on previous machines the selection will be laughably lame

Original Poster Banned

moneysavingkitten

So it allows you to play PS3 games on PS4? Is that what you are getting … So it allows you to play PS3 games on PS4? Is that what you are getting at?

Yeah. The only way unless they remaster them. It is not backwards compatible.

jaystan

Yeah. The only way unless they remaster them. It is not backwards … Yeah. The only way unless they remaster them. It is not backwards compatible.

only way?

keep your optical disc based gameage within a short time they will work on a pc emulator or be ripable for placing on a powerful handheld, I bet vita can do dreamcast and ps2, all a matter of time and in that time the games increase in value anyway, I've got ones in mint condition that go for 80+ on ebay, subscription services are just peeing money up the wall imo, but thrn I do like the obscure and JRPGs, cods and fifa will never be worth anything
Edited by: "Segata-Sanshiro" 5th Jan 2015

Original Poster Banned

Error440

only way?keep your optical disc based gameage within a short time they … only way?keep your optical disc based gameage within a short time they will work on a pc emulator or be ripable for placing on a powerful handheld, I bet vita can do dreamcast and ps2, all a matter of time and in that time the games increase in value anyway, I've got ones in mint condition that go for 80+ on ebay, subscription services are just peeing money up the wall imo, but thrn I do like the obscure and JRPGs, cods and fifa will never be worth anything

By the time it happens will be PS6. PC can't even do PS3 yet. The PS4 is a low end PC. Using the PC architecture. There would be no point in them doing it either while investing and charging for people to stream. Streaming will be the only way on PS4. PS2 & Dreamcast are a lot different.

Edited by: "jaystan" 5th Jan 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition51452
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!11

See more discussions