PlayStation Plus price increase

Found 28th Jul 2017
Just got an email from Sony and it reads ...

PlayStation®Plus prices are changing
From 00:01 BST on 31 August 2017 we are changing the prices of PlayStation®Plus.

- Annually, the price will change from £39.99 to £49.99 per annum.
- Quarterly, the price will change from £14.99 to £19.99 per quarter.
- Monthly, the price will change from £5.99 to £6.99 per month.

Link

A drastic price increase if you ask me. Wonder if they'll start to include AAA titles more regularly.

Top comments

Has anyone mentioned Brexit or Currency exchange rates yet?

Editor

https://i.giphy.com/media/CoDp6NnSmItoY/200.gif

No problem Sony, I own an XB1 as well so any games with multiplayer I'll just buy on that platform instead.

tbh the only PS4 game I play regularly online at the moment is SW Battlefront and I've also now got that on EA Access on XB1.
80 Comments

you beat me to it.

certainly seems quite a hike

Editor

https://i.giphy.com/media/CoDp6NnSmItoY/200.gif

Good job I paid up until 2020 when it was £30 (using O2 credit :p).
What's the best deal atm? Seems that Shopto are being a bit **** with PS Plus recently

Wonder if they'll start to include AAA titles more regularly.

Maybe... maybe not... but I bet it's why they've upped their game recently - to justify the hike.

Has anyone mentioned Brexit or Currency exchange rates yet?

Absolutely ridiculous. £30 is the money, between MS, Sony and Nintendo we're looking at £100+ a year to play GAMES WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR!

It's europe-wide. Can't blame brexit, it's just bringing it inline with US pricing really.

BubaMan

Maybe... maybe not... but I bet it's why they've upped their game … Maybe... maybe not... but I bet it's why they've upped their game recently - to justify the hike.

They already put their prices up in the US quite a while ago now, so I doubt that's the reason

Krooner

It's europe-wide. Can't blame brexit, it's just bringing it inline with … It's europe-wide. Can't blame brexit, it's just bringing it inline with US pricing really.

And Austrailia

curtis392

They already put their prices up in the US quite a while ago now, so I … They already put their prices up in the US quite a while ago now, so I doubt that's the reason

I meant that they upped their game to soften the blow, not that they "have to " raise prices because the games are costing them more.

Ohh wee!

Get stocked up while you can fams

AAARRGGHH who's overloading the certain websites that are doing the cheap 12 month plus deals!!????? I can't get on a certain site.

Im sure well see alternative sites doing it for the same price as now. I dont think i ever payed playstations retail price for +.

Just in case people want to stock up

hotukdeals.com/dea…075
Edited by: "FRZ" 28th Jul 2017

Krooner

Absolutely ridiculous. £30 is the money, between MS, Sony and Nintendo … Absolutely ridiculous. £30 is the money, between MS, Sony and Nintendo we're looking at £100+ a year to play GAMES WE'VE ALREADY PAID FOR!

At least you get goodies with XBL & PS+ - Nintendo had better rethink their offering or they'll kill the Switch before it's had a chance.

That explains two better months of "free" games.....

Things never straight forward with Sony!

I'll stack.

What's the Max??

BubaMan6 m ago

At least you get goodies with XBL & PS+ - Nintendo had better rethink …At least you get goodies with XBL & PS+ - Nintendo had better rethink their offering or they'll kill the Switch before it's had a chance.

I think they're giving away a Virtual Console game or something aren't they? TBH I think they'll re-think it anyway, leave gameplay free. Then maybe a netflix style rental service, depending on what they do with VC on the Switch.

Problem is Sony won't re-think anything if consumers don't unsubscribe. People stocking up on cheapies before the price increase aren't doing themselves any favours, those static numbers will be read as a positive by Sony at year-end. no "well they bought cheaper online" caveats. The only way to be heard is for them to see a dip in subscriber numbers. £50 a year is obscene.
Edited by: "Krooner" 28th Jul 2017

No problem Sony, I own an XB1 as well so any games with multiplayer I'll just buy on that platform instead.

tbh the only PS4 game I play regularly online at the moment is SW Battlefront and I've also now got that on EA Access on XB1.

I'm hoping the quality of games stays higher for the extra cost but I'm currently subbed till 06/19 and I will probably carry on regardless. If they don't get a drop in subs I wonder if MS will follow suit.
Edited by: "SVRich" 28th Jul 2017

BubaMan

And AustrailiaI meant that they upped their game to soften the blow, not … And AustrailiaI meant that they upped their game to soften the blow, not that they "have to " raise prices because the games are costing them more.

We get the same PS+ games as the US so my point is that they didn't feel the need to soften the blow last year when they increased prices for PS+ in the US

£50 a year is ridiculous. I honestly hope Sony lose a lot of subs because of this but it's fair to say they won't. The fact that you need PlayStation + to play online makes it a must for most consumers.

£££
Edited by: "yuiodf" 28th Jul 2017

Cheapest way to get ps plus I have found is having a littlewoods account but not using it. Every now and then they will send you a code for £50 refund off a £100 spend. Can get 2 years of ps plus for about £50 (£25 each).

BubaMan30 m ago

Good job I paid up until 2020 when it was £30 (using O2 credit :p).What's …Good job I paid up until 2020 when it was £30 (using O2 credit :p).What's the best deal atm? Seems that Shopto are being a bit **** with PS Plus recently

I'm stacked till 2020 too, I thought I was going mad myself subbing till that bit so distant future. Guess we'll find out if it's worth it like it or not!

Now do we stock up even more with inevitable ps+ sale frenzy?

yuiodf3 m ago

£50 a month is ridiculous. I honestly hope Sony lose a lot of subs because …£50 a month is ridiculous. I honestly hope Sony lose a lot of subs because of this but it's fair to say they won't. The fact that you need PlayStation + to play online makes it a must for most consumers.£££

£50 a month would be ridiculous

curtis392

We get the same PS+ games as the US so my point is that they didn't feel … We get the same PS+ games as the US so my point is that they didn't feel the need to soften the blow last year when they increased prices for PS+ in the US

Ah... in that case, I feel a little more special

yuiodf9 m ago

£50 a month is ridiculous. I honestly hope Sony lose a lot of subs because …£50 a month is ridiculous. I honestly hope Sony lose a lot of subs because of this but it's fair to say they won't. The fact that you need PlayStation + to play online makes it a must for most consumers.£££

Yikes! I thought it was £50 per week.

Is pc gaming the way forward?

We've got Xbox and PS, and it's not cheap; I know it costs a lot for a gaming pc, but does it work out cheaper in the long run?

tryn2help2 m ago

Is pc gaming the way forward?We've got Xbox and PS, and it's not cheap; I …Is pc gaming the way forward?We've got Xbox and PS, and it's not cheap; I know it costs a lot for a gaming pc, but does it work out cheaper in the long run?

The age old gaming question.

yuiodf

£50 a month is ridiculous. I honestly hope Sony lose a lot of subs … £50 a month is ridiculous. I honestly hope Sony lose a lot of subs because of this but it's fair to say they won't. The fact that you need PlayStation + to play online makes it a must for most consumers.£££

Yes £50 a month would be ridiculous....

Subs stack so get them bought up at the reduced price, think I'm up to around 2020. How far can you stack to?!

Edit: CDKeys £33.89, now stacked until Feb 2021, by then prices might have reduced......
Edited by: "super_leeds_86" 28th Jul 2017

super_leeds_862 m ago

Subs stack so get them bought up at the reduced price, think I'm up to …Subs stack so get them bought up at the reduced price, think I'm up to around 2020. How far can you stack to?!

Till your wallet can't take anymore.

moshixmoshi

The age old gaming question.

My son has been asking me about it for a few months now - two or three of his friends have moved onto it and he's been over to their houses trying it out.
All of them made the switch from Xb 360 to PS4 (that was a costly business I can tell you), but ever since one of them got a gaming pc they're all starting to want it.

In the meantime we've got unused xb's and shelf-loads of xb360 games - I paid a small fortune for that lot and it's barely worth tuppence in trade-ins.
This gaming lark is not cheap.

But it won't be £50 will it!? It is currently £40, and can for most of the year be purchased for between £30-£32. Scaling up this discount (20-25%) to £50, and I would anticipate 12 months after August can be had for between £35 and £40. Even at the upper end, that is only £3.33 a month or less than £1 a week.

Yes a price rise is annoying, but I don't think it requires a massive thread of raging. A thread is not started when your favourite loaf of bread goes up 10-20p, which would be a equivalent % rise.

tryn2help

Is pc gaming the way forward?We've got Xbox and PS, and it's not cheap; I … Is pc gaming the way forward?We've got Xbox and PS, and it's not cheap; I know it costs a lot for a gaming pc, but does it work out cheaper in the long run?

Yes it does. Glad I built one myself a couple years ago. I even get to still play the Xbox exclusives too and they don’t charge for online play with those titles either. I’ve even played Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 online (with voice chat) with my brother who is on his Xbox.

Just if you do buy a gaming PC, be sure to build it yourself and don’t buy prebuilt. It’s really not as difficult as it looks and it means you save a bit more money.

copplehead2 m ago

But it won't be £50 will it!? It is currently £40, and can for most of the …But it won't be £50 will it!? It is currently £40, and can for most of the year be purchased for between £30-£32. Scaling up this discount (20-25%) to £50, and I would anticipate 12 months after August can be had for between £35 and £40. Even at the upper end, that is only £3.33 a month or less than £1 a week.Yes a price rise is annoying, but I don't think it requires a massive thread of raging. A thread is not started when your favourite loaf of bread goes up 10-20p, which would be a equivalent % rise.

First increase in 7 years , so we really should consider ourselves lucky if we stop and think about it.

Krooner52 m ago

It's europe-wide. Can't blame brexit, it's just bringing it inline with US …It's europe-wide. Can't blame brexit, it's just bringing it inline with US pricing really.

Just a business decision, I have sat in many a meeting to decide how much we can put the price up without losing too many customers. My fave example being a product we increased from £49.99 to 89.99 and could produce at a cost of £3.49 per unit. Customers suck up the extra, the sales numbers improve MD smiles every time the product is mentioned, everyone gets a bonus. Happy days.

I stacked up during the last £30 offers, thought I stacked up too much but perhaps not.

I did see this rise coming although they denied it at the time, when the US price increased.
In future people will just have to wait until they do a 15 months for price of 12 or a 25% off deal which they may well do more frequently as they will have a higher churn rate with this price increase.

copplehead

But it won't be £50 will it!? It is currently £40, and can for most of t … But it won't be £50 will it!? It is currently £40, and can for most of the year be purchased for between £30-£32. Scaling up this discount (20-25%) to £50, and I would anticipate 12 months after August can be had for between £35 and £40. Even at the upper end, that is only £3.33 a month or less than £1 a week.Yes a price rise is annoying, but I don't think it requires a massive thread of raging. A thread is not started when your favourite loaf of bread goes up 10-20p, which would be a equivalent % rise.

Hang on...

So 12 months plus at £39.99 can be found for £8-£10 cheaper so with this 25% increase, you believe retailers will only sell it for around £3-£5 more? There is absolutely no logic in your statement and you’re making figures up in your head to justify this nonsense. X)

A 25% increase will be a 25% increase. Simple as that. As for the bread comparison, people are exactly doing that what with wage stagnation in this country. Christ. Read the damn news once in a while. X)

Biddy2

Yes it does. Glad I built one myself a couple years ago. I even get to … Yes it does. Glad I built one myself a couple years ago. I even get to still play the Xbox exclusives too and they don’t charge for online play with those titles either. I’ve even played Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3 online (with voice chat) with my brother who is on his Xbox.Just if you do buy a gaming PC, be sure to build it yourself and don’t buy prebuilt. It’s really not as difficult as it looks and it means you save a bit more money.

Gears of War was my fav game for a while, enjoyed Halo, but Gears was a bit special, never really been able to get into the racing games. Only play CoD now - becoming increasingly annoying with all the trampoline bouncers - hope the next one is a return to something a bit more realistic. They had a quiz on XB at one time and I really looked forward to that, but it disappeared.

Anywho, building a pc is going to be a big big challenge, but it might be the only way we're going to get one. Thanks for the tips, also, you must be one clever cookie if you can put something like that together. Well done you.

Jesus wept... that's a lot of dollar to get root beer rapper free every month...

For the same price you can subscribe to Xbox live AND ea access (which doesn't seem such "bad value" any longer...

tryn2help14 m ago

They had a quiz on XB at one time and I really looked forward to that, but …They had a quiz on XB at one time and I really looked forward to that, but it disappeared.

1 vs 100. It cost too much to do alegedly, perhaps Sony could do it with the extra cash they're raising here!?
Edited by: "Krooner" 28th Jul 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions