Posted 2 November 2022

PlayStation VR2 (PSVR 2) launches Feb 22nd 2023 - £529.99 standalone / £569.99 w/ Horizon Call of the Mountain + New VR games. (Reviews in!)

Update: Reviews now in and looking very positive indeed. Also a hands on video here

Sony have now announced their price points (RRP) for the new PlayStation VR2, which is landing in Feb 2023

Pre-orders for the PS VR2 headset, games, and PS VR2 Sense Controller charging station coming later this month You may see emails for pre-orders, so keep your eyes peeled.

Over the past several months, we’ve introduced PlayStation VR2 and provided glimpses into the next generation of virtual reality gaming, which will allow you to escape into new worlds while feeling a groundbreaking sense of immersion. Today, I’m very pleased to announce that PlayStation VR2 is officially launching on February 22, 2023. PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station, designed specifically for the PS VR2 Sense controller, will also launch the same day.

Here is the PS VR2 lineup and recommended retail pricing for each product. Availability in each country is subject to local import regulations.

PlayStation VR2

4019249_1.jpg

$549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
Includes PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones

4019249_1.jpg
PlayStation VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain bundle

$599.99 / €649.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)Includes PlayStation Store voucher code for Horizon Call of the Mountain, PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers, and stereo headphones

4019249_1.jpg

PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station

$49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
Players can charge the PS VR2 Sense controller through a simple click-in design, without having to connect to a PS5 console – freeing up the console’s USB ports.
Standalone software titles, including Horizon Call of the Mountain, will also be available for pre-orders starting this month. More details will be provided at a later date.

During this initial launch phase for our next-gen headset, players in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg will initially be able to pre-order PlayStation VR2 solely through PlayStation’s online store at direct.playstation.com. Pre-orders will begin on November 15, and players may begin to register for pre-orders starting today. Orders from direct.playstation.com for PlayStation VR2 headsets and bundles will ship throughout the week of launch.

In other markets, PlayStation VR2 will be sold at participating retailers, with pre-orders beginning on November 15. Information will be provided through participating local retailers in these regions.

PlayStation VR2 Sense Technology includes key features that enable unique gameplay experiences, such as headset feedback, eye tracking, 3D audio, and the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback from the PS VR2 Sense controllers. Together with compatible games they will captivate players’ senses and offer an incredibly deep feeling of immersion.

Additionally, with enhanced headset-based controller tracking and high fidelity visuals in 4000 x 2040 HDR video format (2000 x 2040 per eye), PS VR2 adds a true next-gen gaming experience for players to enjoy.

We’ve created the PS VR2 headset with comfort in mind, in a slightly slimmer and lighter design compared to our previous headset. We’ve also included an integrated vent for extra air flow, and a lens adjustment dial for a more customized feel. We hope players will enjoy this new design.

Today, we are also pleased to reveal additional titles coming to PlayStation VR2, with fresh new reveals on new titles that are currently in development for PlayStation VR2. Read our announcement here.

It’s exciting to see how game developers are taking advantage of the PS VR2’s headset features to design the next generation of VR games. We’re expecting more than 20 titles at launch, and we can’t wait for February when PS VR2 launches so players can give it a try. We’ll have more details on our launch game lineup in the future, so stay tuned.

Display method OLED
Panel resolution 2000 x 2040 per eye
Panel refresh rate 90Hz, 120Hz
Lens separation Adjustable
Field of View Approx. 110 degrees
Sensors ・Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer)・Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
Cameras ・4 cameras for headset and controller tracking・IR camera for eye tracking per eye
Feedback Vibration on headset
Communication with PS5 USB Type-C®
Audio ・Input: Built-in microphone・Output: Stereo headphone jack
PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller Specifications
Buttons [Right]PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button[Left]PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
Sensing/ Tracking Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking
Feedback Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)
Port USB Type-C® port
Communication Bluetooth® Ver5.1
Battery Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery

Games list, as of 19th Jan 2023

After the Fall
Altair Breaker
Before Your Eyes
Before Your Eyes (NEW)
Cities VR
Cosmonious High
Creed Rise to Glory: Championship Edition
Creed Rise to Glory: Championship Edition (NEW)
Demeo
Dyschronia: Chronos Alternate
Fantavision 202X
Gran Turismo 7
Horizon Call of the Mountain
Job Simulator
Jurassic World Aftermath
Kayak VR: Mirage
Kayak VR: Mirage (NEW)
Kizuna AI – Touch the Beat!
Moss 1 & 2 Remaster
NFL Pro Era
NFL Pro Era (NEW)
No Man’s Sky
Pavlov VR
Pavlov VR (NEW)
Pistol Whip
Puzzling Places
Puzzling Places (NEW)
Resident Evil Village
Rez Infinite
Rez Infinite (NEW)
STAR WARS: Tales from the Galaxy’s Edge
Song in the Smoke
Song in the Smoke: Rekindled (NEW)
Synth Riders
Synth Riders: Remastered Edition (NEW)
Tentacular
Tetris Effect
Tetris Effect (NEW)
The Dark Pictures: Switchback
The Last Clockwinder
The Last Clockwinder (NEW)
The Light Brigade
The Tale of Onogoro
The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners: Ch. 2: Retribution
Thumper
Thumper (NEW)
Vacation Simulator
What the Bat
What the Bat? (NEW)
Zenith: The Last City
Community Updates
'For pre-order items your payment method will be charged when the items become ready to ship.'
Update 2
Update 1
New Comment

1207 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Mostly impressed with it. Slick setup, great controllers, comfy headset, great Cinema mode for normal PS games with a far more adjustable cinema sized screen than before. The reprojection on it is pretty terrible though, makes the Quest look smooth as silk, let alone PCVR - hopefully they get on top of that in time with software updates though.
    To anyone else who doesn't know what reprojection is:

"PSVR 2 has three modes for developers to choose from: native 120Hz, native 90Hz, and a third that reprojects 60FPS rendering to 120Hz output.

The reprojection mode is the easiest to achieve, as it only requires 60 frames per second. It enables titles like Horizon Call Of The Mountain and Resident Evil 8 to offer modern AAA graphics. But it has a horrible, incredibly noticeable side effect. Some call it double imaging, while others call it ghosting.

When moving your head around, you’ll notice a motion blur along the edges of every object, and you’ll notice the same on your hands when moving them too. When I first tried PSVR 2 I thought this was a glitch with the game or the unit, so actually asked for it to be rebooted to see if it would be solved. I was shocked to discover it was normal.

Graphically simpler games use the native display modes, completely avoiding this issue. They play as smooth as butter and make you long to have the same feeling in the likes of Horizon.

It’s perhaps possible that Sony can improve its projection algorithm in a software update to improve this, as neither Valve’s Motion Smoothing nor Meta’s SpaceWarp are anywhere near as bad as PSVR2’s reprojection. If that’s not possible, I’d love to see developers of high fidelity titles offer a graphically inferior “performance mode”, as I’d choose it every time in a heartbeat."
    The wireless pico for 400 or this?? I mean its a no brainer. The pico makes this look like such a bad deal IMO. If it was backwards compatible and wireless it may have stood a chance. A wired headset in 2022 is a no no unless ur getting a PC headset.
    The Pico cannot be compared to this
    Honestly this has been one of the best purchases I have made.

I'm going to summarises the plussed and negatives for people who are on the fence

Some reasons why I like it
    - Every game has a wow factor it's like how I first discovered games with the SNES, games haven't really evolved since PS3 so it's nice to be wowed again
    - Gran Turismo 7 is incredible, it's improved my driving in the game
    - The plug and play factor is so good, it remembers your boundary in the room and the instant load times on the PS5 means you can jump in a game very quickly
    - Surprisingly for me the fitness factor for this game is great. I was going to buy a treadmill but playing Le Mills Body Combat I am having so much fun working out, so not only is this a good gaming device but a good fitness device. This actually saved me money getting a treadmill I do still go gym on weekends as I'm into weights, but for people like me who have a lack of time or are not motivated this is a great alternative to gym
    - A incredible mix of games from different genres, I love Pistol Whip and I'm not even into rhythm games, it reminds me of time crisis, I feel like Neo in the matrix in this game. Then you have Moss which is such a cool platform puzzle game where you guide a mouse. Then you have Pavlov where you playing a online shooter with voice chat, VR gestures adds so much to the game.
    - It has improved my eye sight for looking at distance objects in the real world. Great for someone like me who is WFH and cooked up in the house all day looking at screens.

Reasons you may not like it
    - The first few days it will take a while to get used to, sickness, headache etc, but please stick with it and take precaution using a fan to blow at you, okay stationary games, use snap turning, use vignettes etc. Soon as you feel neusau switch off immediately. It took me 4 sessions and now I don't get sick at all
    - It doesn't come with lens wipes, come on Sony that's very cheap, had to order some from Amazon for £5
    - If you wear glasses the fit may be uncomfortable, this can be remedied by buying prescription lens inserts for around £50. But it's an added cost. Some people found it's not an issue with glasses or don't mind a softer picture without glasses.
    - If you already owned a VR headset before there maybe a lack of content as lots of ports. But if you never owned a VR headset before there is a ton of things to play already
    - If your job is physical then you may only prefer seated games, which will limit the types of games you can play and not be motivated to play a VR game after a long day at work. However this is perfect for people like me as my job involves me sitting all day, so standing actually helps me become less lazy and your having so much fun and forget about the physical activity you are doing
    - The picture is not going to be as sharp as a 4K screen, best way to describe is like playing a PS3 resolution on a 55 inch screen TV. Unfortunately the technology is not their yet, both the headset and the power required to run games at that high resolution and framerate. But that would take around 10 years to get to that, that's like someone waiting for PS5 when PS3 came out, you can wait it out but then your missing all the fun you could have had.

If you are midly interested in VR and have never owned a VR system before but already own a PS5 this is a must buy, yes you can keep waiting but how long can you wait. By the time PSVR3 comes out that would be another 8 years, this product will be supported for the entire generation and there are a ton of games to play already. Then you have Apple getting into VR, Quest 3 coming out so I can expect even more BR support due to ports from those systems. Sony will also no doubt keep supporting it then you have the surprising hybrid games like Resident Evil. I think at the least it's worth buying it playing it for 3 weeks then returning it if you are not sold.
    So you can return it within a month or 3 weeks if not happy?
    Got sent a unique pre-order link from Sony. I assume Amazon etc will be getting preorders, was hoping to utilise my monese vouchers.
    During this initial launch phase for our next-gen headset, players in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg will initially be able to pre-order PlayStation VR2 solely through PlayStation’s online store at direct.playstation.com *.
    Would be more likely to replace my OG PSVR if they would confirm more backwards compatibility. I've got a decent number of games for it already, and I'm not keen on rebuying or having to build a library from scratch...
    This is from PSVR Without Parole, who accurately leaked the PSVR2 specs long before the official reveal:

'Tons of devs are working on PSVR2 versions of their PSVR1 games as we speak!'

mobile.twitter.com/par…656 (edited)
    Did I read somewhere there is no backwards compatibility with psvr1 titles ?
    Not as such, but PSVR Without Parole (YouTube VR channel who has industry contacts) has said that a lot of PSVR1 games are going to get patches to allow them to run on PSVR2.
    3 day orders start tomorrow (edited)
    Author
    TY!
    Will you be able to use this to play normal games as well? as in using it as the tv screen and will it be able to play movies and stuff via the amazon prime video apps and disney plus?
    Yes! It's called Cinema Mode.

It acts as a massive screen (100+ inches), OLED/120hz, HDR and Full HD (upscaled from 4k to 1080p)
    The hype for this is going to go crazy over the coming weeks. Look at the twitter comments in the past few hours, and these are far from Playstation Fan Boys.

'OK, GT7 in VR is unbelievable. One small detail that literally caught my eye - the HDR glare of headlights in your mirrors during night races. It's bright to the point where it closely resembles reality in a similar situation. I've never seen anything quite like this in a game.' John Linneman Digital Foundry

'PSVR2 has the best 3D, depth correct passthrough I have seen in a consumer headset so far. Looks way better than Quest Pro.' Sebastian MRTV
    John Linneman, Digital Foundry, additional tweets:

"They really nailed the world scale in this. It just feels natural. I keep reaching for the wheel as visible through the headset when the racing wheel I'm using is, in fact, slightly smaller. This is one of the most immersive VR experiences I've encountered to date."

"Also, steep corners and hills, such as at Laguna Seca, suddenly feel towering. I legit felt my stomach drop as if riding a rollercoaster when I first tackled that hill. Plus, you can see your helmet reflect in the steering wheel's metallic pieces as you move your head around."

twitter.com/dar…rl=
    So who ordered via the private email link, an has had there's shipped yet!? As mine still says preparing to be shipped 🙈. Looks like cud be anytime this week now!
    Yes but i only ordered the headset, looks like the Horizon bundle hasn't gone out yet.
    Nice i expected £600. This is a serious bargain when you compare it to the far inferior Valve Index or HP Reverb G2. (edited)
    Whatever this is, it’s certainly not a bargain.

This isn’t standalone (unlike the Quest), so the actual cost is over £1k for an extremely niche product.

I’ll probably get one myself, but I just can’t get my head around this being described as a bargain at all.
    I reviewed a lot of PSVR stuff so I've maybe got 40 games for it. To be honest it was mostly indie trash, turret shooters and survival horror games. Very few essential games (although Rez Infinite was a legit 10/10). I didn't feel that Sony really supported it with big games (much like the Vita). So I'm not feeling this price at all.
    This is deffo Vita 2.0 which is sad.
    It's shocking so many people are complaining about the price.
    You would have to spend at least £2000 for a PC VR gaming rig.
    If you already have a PS5 then you can have a setup for literally half the price.
    It's not shocking at all. For a niche product this is very expensive for the average consumer. I was actually gutted when I saw the price, not because its out of my range but because it's going to remain a niche device instead of being a gateway for VR to become more popular and consequntially evolve.
    For price reference: The PSVR (bundle with controllers) launched in 2016 for $500, when the PS4 was $299 and the Pro was $399.
    Given inflation the PSVR2 is launching at $618 ($549 not adjusting for inflation) when you can buy a PS5 for $499-399 .*

Im not buying one as I havent seen any titles that get me excited for it, but some of the reactions to the sticker price are just pretty childish.
    Ive been watching the slow reveal of this and it does seem to be an impressive piece of kit. Well designed from headset to controllers, and a massive step up from the last version.

* Im not American, google searching gives you dollar results first and I cant be bothered, and who needs to thanks to Truss and co (edited)
    Looks a bit of a mixed bag, PSVR2.

On the one hand, the technology looks very impressive, impressive for the price no doubt considering the hand controllers are included also. However, PSVR1 didn't require the controllers, and I had a good few years of enjoyment out of mine before I felt the need to spend the extra money on Move controllers. The issue I think Sony are going to have is that the VR headset could be bought in isolation shortly after it came out for under £250, which is kids present money for most. This is over double that, so controllers or not less people are going to want to stump up that money.

To anyone who hasn't experienced VR, it's brilliant and a really great experience. The thing I quickly learnt is it comes out of the cupboard every so often for an hour at a time for me, and the more novel games built from the ground up for VR offer the best experiences. I don't have any desire to play AAA titles like Skyrim in VR as they offer nothing extra that the main game on a TV can't already offer. Even the most comfortable headset gets tiring after an hour or so. Not trying to put people off, I was practically ready to sell my TV when I got VR and I think thats something I learnt after getting into it.
    I think it's the best option to ship the controllers as it then hopefully won't fracture the market which will likely be small anyway.
    I note that this isn’t to be used by children under 12, what is the risk of children using it? Is it bad for their eyes?
    It captures their souls.

I would presume, without referring to sources, that yes, it is not good for younglings vision globes.
    Notification today mine is preparing to ship , I ordered the Horizon bundle , what other games are worth getting ?
    Resident evil village, synth riders, gt7,switchback,
    I was really excited for this until I found out most of the VR1 games aren't compatible. I know some are getting free patches but sadly I have a load of VR games that I never got round to playing and sold my VR headset thinking they would be compatible. I wouldn't even mind paying a few quid for an upgrade patch. I quite liked EVE Valkyrie but they've shut the servers down and no sign of a patch...shame as that would look really good on VR2... also no patch for Res Evil 7...another I didn't get round to finishing as I hated the stupid move controllers. I've also just watched a youtube video of 100 games out or coming out and there's probably only about 5 or 6 I'd be interested in such as Resident evil and Horizon and a few others. The rest are basic games that look more VR1 than VR2. So many I hate the art style they use. So it really isn't justifying me splashing another £500+ on VR2. I can afford it but my anticipation levels have severly dropped from being really excited down to maybe just waiting for VR2 version 2, or see what other decent VR games come out. (edited)
    Don't you think that backwards compatibility is what holds back next-gen upgrades? I don't really care if my system can play old games because I upgraded to play better ones. Do you know what I mean? If the older games are important then users can just keep the older hardware right?
    I studied VR back in 1992 and wrote a degree thesis on its future as a design tool (hint, it didn't have a future....until now) so I bought the first version and wanted to love it, but it just wasn't quite there and after playing the Star Wars demo, I became nauseous and had to sell it on.
    Wont be biting first day again. Mate has it on pre-order so will see how I get on with it. Also don't think it will be a sell out so there may be some better game bundles in the next few months.
    Big problem for me (well, the wife actually) is finding somewhere to store the bloody thing, the box is huge! (edited)
    What a shame. I went to uni around the same time with a guy who was really into VR too, since getting into VR myself back when Oculus was just a set of build-your-own schematics, I've always wished I could get in touch with him again to shoot the breeze on where VR has ended up and is going.
    It can take a while for you to get your VR legs. You oughta grab a Quest and stick at it.
    49618933-3LmP8.jpgJust arrived completely without any notification. Didn't even have any email from Sony. It was still saying this morning that it's being prepared for dispatch. The guy was running as he said he had a lot more of the same boxes to deliver.
    I think that is what is going to happen to most. Just turn up. (edited)
    Seen some actual price comparisons to PSVR1 and this price is actually not that bad, I'm not buying one, but it makes sense.
    PSVR1 at launch
    Headset $399
    Camera $60
    Move Controllers $100
    Total $559

PSVR 2 at launch
    $549 all-in
    Managed to pre-order mine today. Got invitation email few hours ago
    48941494-ZhRcT.jpg
    Author
    Nice one!
    i can deal with the price, but wanting another 40 bones or so for a charging dock? thats bad form.
    Yeah, charging dock is very expensive. Haven't ordered one myself.

Hopefully some good 3rd party ones on the way.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…EFP
    Too much £££ for something most people will only use for a few hours.
    Wait a month, will be lots on ebay/marketplace.
    Comparing this to the Quest is apples to pears.
    One has a higher price entry point and higher specs whereas the other is less powerful, at the mercy of its battery life and is totally wireless.
    I would hazard that the PSVR2 will get the same 3rd party software as the Quest plus Sony exclusives. I also think good games on both will be few and far between.
    Is the vr1 worth buying now?
    No. Truly dreadful. Buy a quest2 instead if you're on a budget.
    So do we know if this is better than quest 2 (or quest 3 even)?
    In terms of power the PSVR2 smashes the Quest devices but that doesn't tell the whole story.
    Hi it’s just a shame that older ps4 VR games aren’t compatible with the newest VR headset
    A few have already been ported over, sure plenty more will follow.
    Anyone else who wears glasses finding it too blurry even after adjustment
    I had that issue but a bit of moving the headset around fixed it.
    The sony charge station is very good, compact and has little adapters for the controllers to make them contact charge rather than needing to have a plug inserted in them
    I think it's a bit ropey. It takes practice to get the controllers into the right place, they don't just drop into place. Also, it could do with an LED of its own rather than just relying on the leds in the controller.
    This is my honest review after 3 days. I've owned a dozen other headsets.

Pro's
    Colours and brightness are fantastic compared to anything else i've tried.
    FOV is bigger than anything i've used (haven't tried the Index).
    Controllers and tracking are generally good, although i've experienced a few issues like the right controller just getting stuck until the PS5 was reset.
    Eye tracking is impressive
    Headset is light and pretty comfortable for me.

Cons
    Sony have used a filter to hide Screen Door, it results in a textured effect, like you are looking through a transparent cloth.
    Resolution is nothing special considering the competition, it would have been good 2 years ago.
    Sweet spot is nowhere near as good as pancake lenses like the Pico 4
    The build quality and unboxing experience feels cheap.

I'm not sure if i'm keeping it yet as i can see it getting a pretty quick and substantial price drop.
    The PSVR1 also had that filter.
    Never ever tried VR! I have ps5 and wheel set up. Just got GT7 at the weekend is shttt hot!🔥 👌 Hmm do I get PSVR2… :/
    If you can afford it, then go for it. Gt7 is excellent in vr.
    Will probably stick with the original PSVR until Sony are able to implement a method to enable backwards compatibility by way of an emulation layer so that we're not relying on individual developers (some of whom might have closed up shop) to port existing PSVR titles over to the PSVR2. Probably unlikely though since it'll give Sony an excuse to charge us again for PSVR1 titles.
    Emulation simply won't work. The problem isn't the software, it is the hardware. PSVR used radically different tracking and controllers.

I share your frustration though as I invested hundreds into Sony's ecosystem, but in the end I've "jumped ship" to Meta who, for all their flaws, have at least shown a determination to maintain backwards compatability (and indeed forwards) as far as is possible. Plus wireless is ultimately where VR's future has to go - once you've tried that it's very hard to go back to wires.

Hopefully PSVR2 is a success but at the price-point, the wired limitations plus no guarantee of backwards compatability with any possible PSVR3, I'm out for the moment.
    Buy a decent PC. Buy something like Quest 2 or Pico 4 (good enough). Enjoy all the AAA titles now modded into VR. You want Cyberpunk in VR....you got it.

You'll never get anything of note with Sony.
    You can t compare pc vr set up versus a ps5 vr set up it s a non sense
    Previews for this have been very positive.. I love my PSVR and really want this but I’ll hold off until it’s under 500 quid.

eurogamer.net/pla…ing
    Has anybody else not received a pre order email as yet? I registered a couple hours after the page went live
    Not many people have received a pre order invite according to the PSVR Reddit thread.
    Author
    Emails starting to be sent out:

Your chance to pre-order PlayStation®VR2PlayStation VR2 is launching on 22 February 2023 and we’re giving you the opportunity to pre-order direct from PlayStation®.
    Hit the button below to register today for your chance to receive an exclusive pre-order invitation via email.
    Make sure to add email.playstation.com to your contacts, so you don’t miss out. (edited)
    Just FYI to all who still wants psvr2. It seems that Sony has opened pre-orders for everyone - direct.playstation.com/en-….ds
    There’s a voucher area in the checkout, can we use PSN credit vouchers here..?
    PSN credit cant be used on hardware.
    Do i need to use it with earbuds / headphones or speakers fine? I cannot use earbuds / headphones frequently else I get ear infections.
    Have you tried bone conduction headphones? They keep your ear canal open.

amazon.co.uk/Con…84Z
's avatar