PLEASE ADVISE - Google alert "Samsung Email was granted access to your Google account " is this real

Found 16th Apr
me and and a few other people have said they got a message and an email stating that "Samsung email was granted access to your gmail account" the email appears to come from Google

But I am very concerned this some type of spam/con?

Anyone found any useful info on this because the 'gmail help forum' wasnt any use.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
fearona1 m ago

https://support.google.com/mail/thread/4296484?hl=en

That's the forum I found with 99.9% of people just asking the same question - still not certain this isnt some type of scam/con!!
Yes, it's true. I use the Samsung email client.
When you enter your details to setup your email addresses in the app, it mentions it will access your G account.

I think most 3rd Party email apps do, but use the OAuth or OAuth 2.0 protocol to trigger a request to check for emails.
Something like that anyway.
It's supposed to be safe.
Did you recently add your email address to a Samsung phone? If so, it's legitimate. If not, then someone may have access to your account and added it to a Samsung phone elsewhere. If you're not sure, change your password to be safe. If you added it at the same time though, it's perfectly normal, just a warning to you that your account was accessed whether legitimate or not.
My bro received same msg: he's got an iphone and doesn't have a Samdung account. True story.
My comment has been deleted - I think I may have been onto something and got too close to the truth.. Scary stuff.
Saturn9 m ago

My comment has been deleted - I think I may have been onto something and …My comment has been deleted - I think I may have been onto something and got too close to the truth.. Scary stuff.

Saturn.. That made me LOL
Edited by: "davewave" 16th Apr
Go do a Google security check.. Look it up. You just look through and see what's what with your account.. I go look from time to time. Good idea to remove old devices linked
Edited by: "wayners" 16th Apr
Myself and my partner have both had this message today. We've changed our passwords just to be safe but it seems legit.
If you use a Samsung phone it is legit androidpolice.com/201…ix/

My recommendation would be to use the Gmail app for Gmail instead of an email client like Samsung Email, that way you keep all your data 'in house' with the service you're using and not having to grant access to a 3rd party.
Edited by: "redflash" 17th Apr
redflash4 h, 38 m ago

If you use a Samsung phone it is legit …If you use a Samsung phone it is legit https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/04/16/dont-panic-emails-about-samsung-email-accessing-your-gmail-are-legit-samsung-is-working-on-a-fix/My recommendation would be to use the Gmail app for Gmail instead of an email client like Samsung Email, that way you keep all your data 'in house' with the service you're using and not having to grant access to a 3rd party.

Thanks so much, perfectly resolved.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants