Groups

Please advise on how I can get a satellite connection upstairs

Hi there, I have an openbox downstairs and I would really like to get an openbox for upstairs for my LO bedroom. I am really unsure as to what I would need to do as I need a satellite dish connection, which I have downstairs into my openbox. This also is connected by ether net cable to my broadband. Does anyone have any technical advice that they can give me please? Thankyou x

16 Comments

Signal booster and splitter for satallite feed. Feeds both boxes with satallite reception. If the box needs wired Ethernet too, maybe use a Ethernet over mains wiring setup to get Ethernet to the right room?

Original Poster

I am sorry I don't really understand? thankyou for your reply though x

or you could buy a twin lnb ( the little box on the end of the arm thats bolted to your dish that has the sat cable connected to it ) and join a cable to that and plug the other end of the cable into a 2nd sat box in the other bedroom

1 x cat 5 or 6 able with hdmi remote extender boxes either ens. less than £30 if you do it yourself and you will get full HD image upstairs. that's what I did.

lovetolaugh

​If none of this makes any sense to you at all, your best bet is to get a satallite installer in or perhaps a tech savvy friend?

Hi,

There are two options.

One:- If your sky box assuming its sky you subscribe to has a RF output on back of the box then you can run a cable from the box to the tv in the bedroom and attach a red eye or magic eye, This will allow you to watch sky upstairs and change the channel without paying for additional services. Downside is if someone is watching the tv in the living room then you are restricted to watching the same programme.
    Second option:- If you have a old sky box you can run a cable from LNB (Nose on end of satellite dish) to you box, downside this would be free-to-air channels and not the full sky range.

Drill hole in wall, connect F connector to both ends of cable, connect to LNB at one end and set too box at other.

kencol

Drill hole in wall, connect F connector to both ends of cable, connect to … Drill hole in wall, connect F connector to both ends of cable, connect to LNB at one end and set too box at other.

​As this but you may need to swap your lnb for a quad lnb if you need 2 feeds per box. external shotgun/twin cable if needed.

lovetolaugh

​Yellow pages, local satellite / aerial guy and pay for them to sort it out, if you don't understand those basics above people are wasting their time answering, search YouTube is another way

I put a quad LNB on my dish, drilled holes in each bedroom wall and ran cables up the cavity into attic and then out to the satellite. Then I fitted
    aeriel/f type sockets to the walls. Now each bedroom has the option of freeview or satellite. Feeding cables can be a bit tricky but I bought a set of cable feeds for about £8 and that made things a bit easier.

Signal boosters and splitters would not work on satellite connections. Multi LNB was the only way.

Get a boyfriend and ask him to sort it out.

If you've an openbox and you're receiving all the channels for "free" you'll need a internet connection to your second box also so that the box can get the subscription details, otherwise you'll be left with FTA channels.

You'll need to run a second cable from your dish, it's likely that your dish will already have multiple LNBS to allow this. If you previously had sky+ in the property you will have a spare feed from the shotgun cable, it may be possible (if long enough) to route this to the new room.

You can't split one sky cable into 2, each box will need at least one feed.

Get an AV sender Maplin sell them

lovetolaugh

Hi there, I have an openbox downstairs and I would really like to … Hi there, I have an openbox downstairs and I would really like to get an openbox for upstairs for my LO bedroom. I am really unsure as to what I would need to do as I need a satellite dish connection, which I have downstairs into my openbox. This also is connected by ether net cable to my broadband. Does anyone have any technical advice that they can give me please? Thankyou x

Is there unused outputs on the dish?

If so, run a satellite cable from the dish straight to your new Openbox upstairs, as you need internet connection at the box you will require either an ethernet cable from your router to the new open box, OR the Openbox V9s has built in wiFi, OR home plugs would also suffice, giving you the internet connection you require.

Are you using wifi or Ethernet for your connection?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Car park fine UKPC44
      2. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay1015
      3. BT deal56
      4. Gaming Monitor22

See more discussions