Groups
    EXPIRED

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE LOCK THREAD MANY THANKS

Can anyone advise me what happens next i borrowed money form a friend and said i would pay back he has record of this in text and msn chat he knew how skint i was when he lent the money and i told him i couldnt pay back all we then fell oiut and he sent me an email saying I his name lent me the money and that he didnt want any money back and that he had written the debt off.
    This was back in march.
    I today recieved court papers saying i need to pay or could get ccj.Where do i stand as he put it in writing that i didnt owe anything will i end up with CCJ?
    Any advise please as i am very worried about having recieved the court forms.

53 Comments

Pay your debts is the best advice I can give you.

hunchback;6431725

Pay your debts is the best advice I can give you.

same advice here

how much?

do you still have email?

pay him id say

Banned

i assume you kept the email with him saying he didn't want the money back if not your screwed

Banned

dont borror money of friends.. it always ends in tears..

just learn your lesson..

skamma;6431765

dont borrow money of friends.. it always ends in tears..just learn your … dont borrow money of friends.. it always ends in tears..just learn your lesson..

this ^^^

I'd be paying him back. But I suppose if you want to take it further you'd only manage I suppose if you've still got the email saying he didn't want it back.

Never a lender or a borrower be !

Why wouldn't you want to pay it back? If you borrow money you should always pay it back regardless of who it's owed to or whether they said they didn't want it. just do the right thing.

serves you right really dont it.?

Banned

go around his house and kick his head in and then stuff it down his neck

stand back and tell him thats the last you wanna hear about it or next time its up the wrong'un:)

If less than £20 pay him back, its not worth the hassle . If more wrestle your own conscience.

as above i agree you should pay your debts. But for a mate to threaten court after they said they'd written it off. I be tempted to screw them 2. But as none of us know the facts i cant really say what id do

We are only listening to one side of the story and we dont know the other person circumstances...I would say that giving the money back is the right thing to do.
    this would be good to be seen on Judge Judy

Original Poster

DIVA1977;6431922

If less than £20 pay him back, its not worth the hassle . If more wrestle … If less than £20 pay him back, its not worth the hassle . If more wrestle your own conscience.as above i agree you should pay your debts. But for a mate to threaten court after they said they'd written it off. I be tempted to screw them 2. But as none of us know the facts i cant really say what id do

thanks yuo dont know the facts i would have paid back but he got really nasty and started stalking and doing weird things not going into on here.
    I didnt want a moral lecture really so please dont i just want to know if anyone knows with the copy of the mail saying i dont have to pay if i will still get the ccj?

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6431837

Firstly actually check it's from the court, and check for a court stamp, … Firstly actually check it's from the court, and check for a court stamp, then ring the court and verify this is actually a claim being made and he is not blagging it, then if legit, put in a "defence" if you have the email writing off the debt and you should of at least got an I and E sheet to set out your budget to pay back if not contetsing the debt.

yeah it has court stamp on it and has an address of an online place as he has obviously filed for the court order online.I have got all the forms and will fill in finance forms etc and send the copy of the letter stating his name and address and fact he dont want it back.
    I am not proud of the fatc it has conme to this and only posted on here for advise.

Citizens Advice Bureau if you need proper advice.

You will not get a CCJ as you have a reason for not repaying the amount - the email saying debt was written off.
    You will need to attend the hearing with the email or risk a CCJ in default for not attending

Original Poster

DAMNOME;6432051

You will not get a CCJ as you have a reason for not repaying the amount - … You will not get a CCJ as you have a reason for not repaying the amount - the email saying debt was written off.You will need to attend the hearing with the email or risk a CCJ in default for not attending

thank you for your advise i cannot see a court date on the letter i may be being dumb so will rellok and only thing is it is no where neer my home address so will have to travel but worth it i suppose

JJ77;6431967

thanks yuo dont know the facts i would have paid back but he got really … thanks yuo dont know the facts i would have paid back but he got really nasty and started stalking and doing weird things not going into on here.I didnt want a moral lecture really so please dont i just want to know if anyone knows with the copy of the mail saying i dont have to pay if i will still get the ccj?

Why not just pay him back then & get rid?
    Sounds like the usual excuses to me so you don't have to pay up :whistling:

Original Poster

yep no court date on letter just forms for me to fill in saying i either admit debt or not and my finance details

JJ77;6432067

thank you for your advise i cannot see a court date on the letter i may … thank you for your advise i cannot see a court date on the letter i may be being dumb so will rellok and only thing is it is no where neer my home address so will have to travel but worth it i suppose

got a funny feeling that may well in fact be the case. :-D(no offence obviously intended)

Original Poster

ants97;6432120

got a funny feeling that may well in fact be the case. :-D(no offence … got a funny feeling that may well in fact be the case. :-D(no offence obviously intended)

nope defo no court date on letter and yes spelling rubbish in this post but thats cause rushing lol

You're totally in the wrong here mate, he lent you money, obviously with no interest, yet you're refusing to pay back? You may as well just been known as a scamming idiot.

pay your debt back, it's strange he got all weird with you borrowing and not paying back, the nutter

whatsThePoint;6432156

Not sure a txt or msn message can be taken as proof of you owing someone … Not sure a txt or msn message can be taken as proof of you owing someone money, find a solicitor who give 30mins free advice

I don't think they could be, it is a trivial task to fake txt messages, msn messages, or even email messages. there is also the debate when an msn/txt/email is not faked, how do you know the person sending it really was your mate, or just someone who was at the computer or borrowed his phone.

OP, if i was you, get in contact with your (ex)friend using a letter offering that you want to start paying him back and try and arrange something. do not pay him back in cash without a receipt, only ever with traceable funds too, otherwise he might come back and say you didnt pay some amount.

you might be angry, but put all feelings aside and ask yourself: how would you feel if you lent someone money and they never paid it back? im not making any judgements, but even with some of the nasty stuff he did - you have to take in to account that he helped you out originally and he might be needing that money desperately for something important.

also not paying your mate will _seriously_ tarnish your image to all of your mates.

amount?

magicbeans;6432303

amount?

+1 gives us a better idea on the other persons take on this also?

magicbeans;6432303

amount?

Don't think it really matters, maybe he was stalking you cos you bumped him & he wants revenge.
    Pay him back = problem solved :thumbsup:

Banned

i lent my friend money once, i knew she was broke and had little kids and the baliifs were at her door and she had no one to help her. i helped and well she is no longer my friend and i miss her ! i never demanded the money back, just said £1 at a time just so long as i could see an effort to be paying the money back, as food and electric was more important.but she never did pay me back ...... i tried every thing to reason with her, in the end decided if all i was worth was (and i think as it was a long time ago) £500 then i was better off without her, and if all she wanted was my money well it was her loss, let her have it. At the time i did think about taking it further, but whats the point., if it goes to court just becomes painfull for every one involved.

if you owe money i would suggest write to him and see if you can agree to pay him back a couple of quid a week/month direct into his bank account so there is proof of payment. again this will save you both a lot of messing about and if you don;t have the money the court can't make you pay it, they will agree an installment plan.

the court will give you advice other wise talk to local citizens advice

hope it all works out for you, but remeber no matter whats happend since, he did a nice thing lending it to you in the first place x

magicbeans;6432303

amount?

Hmmm...... he doesn't seem to want to say:?

By the sound of it, it's no small amount. As far as the information here indicates, the OP borrowed and never paid back - unless the email could be actually varified and confirmed by the lender, I doubt its useful.

hannah19790;6432389

Hmmm...... he doesn't seem to want to say:?

well i aint helping without all the facts
    seriously if u want help/advice i think its kinda rude to not bother replying properly and to avoid questions...unless u have a genuine reason which u give

i dont see why they dont just say how much it was i mean if it was like £20 then why have go to the bother of hounding someone for that but if it is like hundreds then yes i would want paying back and at the end of the day regardless whether they said they didnt want paying back just pay it as you did borrow it and that will save your reputation and more.

in a thread of 39 posts..OP has replied only 4 times...plus ...im not the spelling/grammer police (really would be the last person to qualify!) but lack of effort in OP is annoying

yes the pregnancy hormones are kinda getting to me! :oops:

nope i agree OP wanted advice but does not want to give full facts so that dosent help anyone on here trying to give advice then? with half the story so to speak!

wulshaz;6432453

nope i agree OP wanted advice but does not want to give full facts so … nope i agree OP wanted advice but does not want to give full facts so that dosent help anyone on here trying to give advice then? with half the story so to speak!

excactly. ppl making loads effort replying and for what?!

and they have suddenly disappeared again! :whistling:

Pauladin91;6432188

You're totally in the wrong here mate, he lent you money, obviously with … You're totally in the wrong here mate, he lent you money, obviously with no interest, yet you're refusing to pay back? You may as well just been known as a scamming idiot.

not helpful!

but with half a story this is what people may think!

Banned

magicbeans;6432497

excactly. ppl making loads effort replying and for what?!

i think they cba:whistling:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764288
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846190
      3. Did you know?2950
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917260

See more discussions