EXPIRED

please delete this topic

12 Comments

andyleeds20

they have me down to do 6pm -2am wed night then they have me down to work … they have me down to do 6pm -2am wed night then they have me down to work 8 hours later doing 10-6 now union man at work says throw that back in there face u must have 11 hours break between shifts but i dont wanna cause a rift due to the ongoing weekend problems which again is there fault not minebut some people witthin the company seem to believe its 8 hours between shiftsim just lost with it all really and its getting me down and it shouldent as i have followed procedures and i do feel like making a formal complaint with the bakery union

gov.uk/res…iew

Workers have the right to 11 hours rest between working days (eg if you finish work at 8pm, they shouldn’t start work again until 7am the next day).

Original Poster

yeah i have seen that thanx so is that a defo legal requirement ? or can companys have there own rest times ...... big companys know how to play the game

andyleeds20

yeah i have seen that thanx so is that a defo legal requirement ? or can … yeah i have seen that thanx so is that a defo legal requirement ? or can companys have there own rest times ...... big companys know how to play the game

Unless you've signed an opt-out (check your contract) then they must abide by the law.

Banned

BeerDrinker

https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overviewWorkers have the right to 11 … https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overviewWorkers have the right to 11 hours rest between working days (eg if you finish work at 8pm, they shouldn’t start work again until 7am the next day).

Also says "A worker’s employment contract may say they’re entitled to more or different rights to breaks from work."

Do you have a contract?, Depends on how much you value your job as to whether you should complain or not. Maybe pick the most "caring" of the managers and have a quiet mature word with them would be a good start?

BeerDrinker

Unless you've signed an opt-out (check your contract) then they must … Unless you've signed an opt-out (check your contract) then they must abide by the law.

There are however certain circumstances in certain areas of employment where there is an exemption.

I think the OP is entitled to the required shift break time however.

Original Poster

im just hoping it was all a big mistake and when i go in tomorow something has changed my managers are nice its just the way they run things does my head in

Original Poster

its the first part which peeves me off the most anyways i dont mind doing a shift 8 hours later after one has just finished if its a one off

just to summise.

your contracted to 40 hrs a week.
You've handed on holiday forms.
you've raised a complaint with a manager who has acknowledged the error in staffing levels and hes advised you 'he will sort it'.

Ok i dont see a problem here. they seem very dis-organised and as though they are not communicating.
As the holidays are given on forms, fill out two identical ones, and get a manager to sign them both as a record for you handing them in, or alternatively buy a little holiday book of your own and get you manager to sign that when you hand in your forms.

Ultimately though if it does come down to workers rights - your workplace does not have to give you any dates that you request, and can dictate to you when you take your holiday. It only becomes a problem if you are not getting enough rest, or they dont let you take your holiday within the holiday year.

Its very important to note that, any holiday request must be given at least double the length of time given... eg if you want a week off you MUST give 2 weeks notice - its up to them if they grant it....

2nd rant - listen to your union rep. Its part of the working regs that they cannot make you work without sufficient rest period. Sadly a lot of employers break these rules either through ignorance or blatant disregard. Either way the correct manner to deal with this would be to speak with your line manager, advise him that you need your 8 hours sleep, and time away form work to relax to be efficient at work.If they insist on 8 hours between shifts put in writing your complaint and request a meeting with management, and take your union rep with you.

In general the Working Time Regulations provide rights to:

a limit of an average 48 hours a week on the hours a worker can be required to work, though individuals may choose to work longer by "opting out"

5.6 weeks' paid leave a year
11 consecutive hours' rest in any 24-hour period
a 20-minute rest break if the working day is longer than six hours
one day off each week
a limit on the normal working hours of night workers to an average eight hours in any 24-hour period, and an entitlement for night workers to receive regular health assessments.#
[acas.org.uk/ind…spx?articleid=1373]

If they sack you, threaten you with the sack, bully and/or otherwise make you feel bad or worse off for requesting your rights to be upheld, you would have a case to take to the employment tribunal bad at that point I would advise you to get legal help.

If you get stuck drop me a line and I'll help where I can.

Original Poster

Lucifer_UK

just to summise.your contracted to 40 hrs a week.You've handed on holiday … just to summise.your contracted to 40 hrs a week.You've handed on holiday forms.you've raised a complaint with a manager who has acknowledged the error in staffing levels and hes advised you 'he will sort it'.Ok i dont see a problem here. they seem very dis-organised and as though they are not communicating.As the holidays are given on forms, fill out two identical ones, and get a manager to sign them both as a record for you handing them in, or alternatively buy a little holiday book of your own and get you manager to sign that when you hand in your forms.Ultimately though if it does come down to workers rights - your workplace does not have to give you any dates that you request, and can dictate to you when you take your holiday. It only becomes a problem if you are not getting enough rest, or they dont let you take your holiday within the holiday year.Its very important to note that, any holiday request must be given at least double the length of time given... eg if you want a week off you MUST give 2 weeks notice - its up to them if they grant it....2nd rant - listen to your union rep. Its part of the working regs that they cannot make you work without sufficient rest period. Sadly a lot of employers break these rules either through ignorance or blatant disregard. Either way the correct manner to deal with this would be to speak with your line manager, advise him that you need your 8 hours sleep, and time away form work to relax to be efficient at work.If they insist on 8 hours between shifts put in writing your complaint and request a meeting with management, and take your union rep with you.In general the Working Time Regulations provide rights to:a limit of an average 48 hours a week on the hours a worker can be required to work, though individuals may choose to work longer by "opting out"5.6 weeks' paid leave a year11 consecutive hours' rest in any 24-hour perioda 20-minute rest break if the working day is longer than six hoursone day off each weeka limit on the normal working hours of night workers to an average eight hours in any 24-hour period, and an entitlement for night workers to receive regular health assessments.#[http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1373]If they sack you, threaten you with the sack, bully and/or otherwise make you feel bad or worse off for requesting your rights to be upheld, you would have a case to take to the employment tribunal bad at that point I would advise you to get legal help.If you get stuck drop me a line and I'll help where I can.

thankyou !!!

im going in tomorow and will let u know

i could murder a sausage roll right about now.
Edited by: "fuhu78888" 14th Jul 2014

yea im in leeds i want some freebies ;-P

I think naming where you work, and your managers first and surnames is a huge no no. I would edit your post ASAP incase you get into trouble. Would you like someone putting your full name on the internet? You have named 2 different people that might not want to be named.

Also, I take it thats you in the profile pic? I think you may have made it too personal imho. Only thinking of your best interest OP x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Green ads at base of Android 5.1 + wi-fi issue49
    2. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?810
    3. Thinking of getting the Fire HD 833
    4. First time leasing help needed!410

See more discussions