Please help advise on elderly care can it be funded? discharged from hospital. Where do I go for advice?

Found 5th Jul
Hi guys please can I get some advice on how care works for elderly?

My grandma has been in hospital after a fall and she has she has developed dementia. She still knows who we are for now but it will get worse.

shes been discharged from hospital and has been taken to a care home which Gives her care for free for 2 weeks only.

-She doesn't have saving, if she does it's definatley less then £15.000
-she owns her house.
-she has dementia and needs full time care

ive tried finding information out on what happens and if she can get nhs funded care or even just help towards the cost. The advice is very conflicting with one saying one thing, one saying another.
Some say her house doesn't come into her savings, some saying it does. Some saying she should get free care, some saying no we have to sell her home to pay for it. This is all very sudden.

Please if someone knows more about this kind of situation and has any advice or can point me in the direction of the right place to ask about this I'd be so grateful.
Thankyou
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
It used to be twelve weeks free care. I don’t know about now. The house situation depends on who owns and lives in the house. If it’s just her owning it and living in it. It’s likely that the local council will make you sell it to pay for care. As it’s classed as her asset. I had a similar case with both of my grandparents having to go into care. The total of the care home bill came to just short of £100k. We also had a big fight with the local council for over three years. I have heard story’s of people putting there houses in trust to try to avoid a care bill and it’s failed. The system stinks. Yet again those that work and save get punished
Edited by: "Wadda" 5th Jul
depends on your local CCG, speak to the hospital staff that looked after her, talk social care worker
ageuk.org.uk
Try these guys for advice
You need to ask your local council Adult Social Services for a Financial Assessment. Also arrange to meet with a Social Worker who will be able to explain everything to you.

If your Grandmother has more than £23,250 worth of assets then she will unfortunately have to fund her care. Her house will be included as an asset if she is the 100% owner (your Granddad does not live there). Once her assets are down to £23,250 then just her "income" is taken towards her care - the rest (balance) is paid by your local council.

In order to consume your Grandmother's assets you are able to prepay for a funeral package.

We're currently undergoing similar for a family member - at present their house is not yet in the calculation as is it is half owned by their partner who still lives there.

It is worth shopping around for a care home - in our area the prices varied between £550 and £775/week for basically the same quality of accommodation. We have managed to find a very pleasant home - one I would be happy to end up in if it ever become necessary!

Good luck - it is a very stressful time sorting all this out!
Edited by: "Van1973" 5th Jul
Some good advice above esp. Van1973...sent you PM.
Income from any benifts and pensions is taken into consideration too.

Another thing is look in to getting power of attorney asap.
Edited by: "Wadda" 5th Jul
Citizens advice might help
@LeahsMintytoutou I don't know anything about this issue, just want to wish your grandma well and I hope this all goes as well as it can for you, and that you find the help that she needs.
jamie0151 h, 57 m ago

@LeahsMintytoutou I don't know anything about this issue, just want to …@LeahsMintytoutou I don't know anything about this issue, just want to wish your grandma well and I hope this all goes as well as it can for you, and that you find the help that she needs.

I echo these sentiments. Best wishes.
@LeahsMintytoutou I can’t help on the funding/financial aspect but wondered if you or any of your family members have looked into being Powers of attorney for your Grandma. It will give your Grandma greater protection making decisions on her behalf rather than getting lost in ‘the system’. Even being able to access her bank account etc to pay any bills going forward would be easier if you had the legal right to do so.
Toptrumpet2 h, 25 m ago

@LeahsMintytoutou I can’t help on the funding/financial aspect but w …@LeahsMintytoutou I can’t help on the funding/financial aspect but wondered if you or any of your family members have looked into being Powers of attorney for your Grandma. It will give your Grandma greater protection making decisions on her behalf rather than getting lost in ‘the system’. Even being able to access her bank account etc to pay any bills going forward would be easier if you had the legal right to do so.

It will depend on whether she still has the 'mental capacity' to sign the power of attorney. If not she will need a deputyship order (source). It may not top of Leah's list but I too would recommend getting a solicitor on the case as soon as possible before you lose the option of a power of attorney.
Ar460rn2 h, 52 m ago

It will depend on whether she still has the 'mental capacity' to sign the …It will depend on whether she still has the 'mental capacity' to sign the power of attorney. If not she will need a deputyship order (source). It may not top of Leah's list but I too would recommend getting a solicitor on the case as soon as possible before you lose the option of a power of attorney.

You don't need a solicitor for a power of attorney, you can do it all online relatively easy as long as she still has mental capacity, it costs £82 each you'll need one for health and one for financial issues.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 6th Jul
In some cases, a person with dementia may be entitled to receive NHS continuing healthcare funding.

This funding from the NHS will cover the full cost of someone’s care, if they are deemed to have a healthcare need, whether in their own home, or in a care home. It is often difficult for people with dementia to meet the criteria because they are often assessed as having social care needs rather than healthcare needs.

alzheimers.org.uk/get…sts
@LeahsMintytoutou Just wondered how your Granma’s getting on and if you’ve had any luck in getting social services to prepare a Care Plan for her yet?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions