EXPIRED

please help just got a email from a seller on ebay

hi i won and paid for the james bond game from this seller he seems legit 100% feedback i got this email from him what should i do?

Hi there, I truthfully & sincerely regret to say that due to some unknown reason ,ebay has suspended my trading and have placed your payment to me on hold, in all the years I have traded I can honestly say that I have never cheated or sold fraudent goods on only one occasion did I accidently put a wrong game in the wrong box and the buyer instead of responding with me went straight to ebay with a dispute and they,instead of making a proper investigation, sided with the buyer which resulted with me not only losing a payment, lost the original item as well,as the buyer would not resond, so now all I can do is instruct pay-pal to return your money which they are holding, I really offer my sincere apologies over this matter as it is not the way I like to sell, I am now 70 years old and am due back in hospital on 4th April for a hip replacement,so after that date I shall be out of action for approx. a week, my phone no. is 07***********, sincere apologies again,Jim.

30 Comments

wow, what are the chances of this happening at the exact same time that he's just off for an operation and will not be contactable for approx a week. :thinking:

A 70 year old ebay trader who is selling a James Bond game?

Sorry for jumping to conclusions but that seems a bit fishy.

Banned

I smell BS.....

Kinda believed it up until....

I am now 70 years old and am due back in hospital on 4th April for a hip replacement,so after that date I shall be out of action for approx. a week, my phone no. is 07***********, sincere apologies again,Jim.

Original Poster

yeah i thought the same but his username is elvis wrote in a funny way lol what should i do?

Banned

To be fair could be true, does not sound like he knows what he is doing. All he had to do is send you the game, you leave positive fb, hey presto they release funds. Try telling him this.
PP hold funds unti fb is received on items that are scammable or if they don't meet thr requirements set by pp.
It happens, he could of had is money if he just sent the game:roll:

How much £ are we talking here, he's not going to spoil his 100% FB + go to all that effort for 20 quid or so (unless he's sold a load of games in the last few days and is trying a mass scam !)

Sounds genuine to me.

Original Poster

it only came to 12.40 so what should i do

Marina;4809279

Sounds genuine to me.

+1

Banned

tonico;4809285

it only came to 12.40 so what should i do

Do what I said above, tell him it's the PP hold, the funds will be released as soon as you have left positive fb.

paypal.com/cgi…ide

Even if he understood that Paypal will release funds on +ve feedback, I doubt if he will be able to post before his alleged hip replacement on 4th April. At his age, he may not want to take the risk with Paypal again. All that if his story is true, which I think it is.

give him a call? it looks like he left his number.

You've got his phone number.... Follow that thought.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;4809293

Do what I said above, tell him it's the PP hold, the funds will be … Do what I said above, tell him it's the PP hold, the funds will be released as soon as you have left positive fb.https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/Marketing/securitycenter/sell/SaferPayments-outside

thanks i just sent him the link hope it works

Sounds genuine to me, he has good feedback.

Call him and see if he sounds 70 for a start.

Banned

If its ebay thats suspended his account, you could ask them if its true! If it is, then you have the choice to accept repayment or wait until he sends it. If he's lying, I'd imagine his account could end up being closed, so its unlikely he is. (The "70 old bit does make it sound dubious - at least he wasn't a Nigerian Prince!!!)

guv;4809466

. (The "70 old bit does make it sound dubious -

Why?...there isn't an upper age limit on eBay.

70.....hip replacement...sounds OK to me.

it sounds too much like a blanket scammer's email
it sounds like his account may have been hijacked.... thats what usually happens when you get an external email.
I would avoid to be honest, but then again, I'm very wary of ebay these days.
Too many "Nigerian princes"

i HAVE RECENTLY RECEIVED A SCAM EBAY MESSAGE SAYING THAT i HAVE BEEN (OOPS CAPS) suspended. It had a link to some website where I could "change my password" etc.
Wonder if hes been scammed?

Banned

guv;4809466

If its ebay thats suspended his account, you could ask them if its true! … If its ebay thats suspended his account, you could ask them if its true! If it is, then you have the choice to accept repayment or wait until he sends it. If he's lying, I'd imagine his account could end up being closed, so its unlikely he is. (The "70 old bit does make it sound dubious - at least he wasn't a Nigerian Prince!!!)

Ebay won't give that information out, unless he has been NARU, not for a suspension from selling or whatever.
Naru is easy to see anyway.

czar.nik;4809541

it sounds too much like a blanket scammer's emailit sounds like his … it sounds too much like a blanket scammer's emailit sounds like his account may have been hijacked.... thats what usually happens when you get an external email.I would avoid to be honest, but then again, I'm very wary of ebay these days.Too many "Nigerian princes"

What???? Paranoia, sounds nothing of the sort!

Banned

Inactive;4809523

Why?...there isn't an upper age limit on eBay.70.....hip … Why?...there isn't an upper age limit on eBay.70.....hip replacement...sounds OK to me.

No there is no age limit. However, how many 70 year olds do you know that play Xbox 360 games?

oh yeah and i've just noticed something..... aren't paypal holds only on items sold for above £50?

and what i meant by it sounds dodgy is that usually when you get an email from an external source, its good to be wary.

Banned

czar.nik;4809990

oh yeah and i've just noticed something..... aren't paypal holds only on … oh yeah and i've just noticed something..... aren't paypal holds only on items sold for above £50?and what i meant by it sounds dodgy is that usually when you get an email from an external source, its good to be wary.

No, paypal will hold your money on whatever they see fit.

guv;4809678

No there is no age limit. However, how many 70 year olds do you know that … No there is no age limit. However, how many 70 year olds do you know that play Xbox 360 games?

But he wasn't playing them, he was selling them, possibly on behalf of somebody else.

My neighbour is 60+ and plays Xbox games, does that count ?.. ;-)

tinkerbell28;4810001

No, paypal will hold your money on whatever they see fit.

Paypal says:

Why might my payments be held?

PayPal will hold payments in transactions where the vast majority of seller fraud occurs. Here are the most common instances in which a payment may be held:

* You have been on eBay less than six months and sell an item above £50
* You have a feedback score of less than 98% and sell an item above £50
* More than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers*
* You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of 4.5 or less
* You have received less than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings
* You are listing your item in a higher-risk category

No reference to smaller transactions.
Something doesn't quite add up here.....

czar.nik;4810101

Paypal says:Why might my payments be held?PayPal will hold payments in … Paypal says:Why might my payments be held?PayPal will hold payments in transactions where the vast majority of seller fraud occurs. Here are the most common instances in which a payment may be held: * You have been on eBay less than six months and sell an item above £50 * You have a feedback score of less than 98% and sell an item above £50 * More than 5% of your transactions result in dissatisfied buyers* * You have an average Detailed Seller Rating (DSR) of 4.5 or less * You have received less than 20 Detailed Seller Ratings * You are listing your item in a higher-risk categoryNo reference to smaller transactions.Something doesn't quite add up here.....

They consider anything in the video gaming section as 'high risk':thumbsup:

Original Poster

he was genuine and i got my money back thanks to everyone

Banned

Thread closed upon request by OP. Thanks.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Sad news about Barcelona1853
  2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764048
  3. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2023
  4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846099

See more discussions