Please help me build a video editing PC

Posted 21st Jul
Dear all,

I’m looking to start up a video editing business since my partner has been made redundant as a result of Covid-19.

I’m currently working as service manager at hospital which is about 60 miles away from home so it’s almost impossible to find another part time job.

So I’m looking to utilise my time on evenings/weekends by editing YouTube clips or creating social intros etc for people.

As a starting point, I’m looking for a custom build PC that’s good for video editing.

I’ve tried watching YouTube videos but I don’t think I’m skilled/patient to build a PC from scratch myself. Therefore, I’m reaching out on here. I know there are a lot of kind people on here that - not only just post deals - but go above and beyond to help others.

My budget is £900. Going by what everyone is saying on here, I’d prefer a AMD Ryzen PC.

Could I please request you guys to suggest some specs or a direct link to like AWD-IT, Palicomp or CCL for a PC that meets my requirements?

In return, if I do end up buying a PC based on your recommendations, I’ll be happy pay £20 to your PayPal account or to a charity of your choice.

Thank you people
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
I used to do this for fun, using basic android apps, I was no professional, but people seemed happy with the results
Have you built a PC before ?
matti12021/07/2020 18:03

I have, but nothing modern day, I think the last time was 2003
Have a look on youtube theres lots of videos with help building a new one specifically for video editing
Mendoza21/07/2020 17:51

I used to do this for fun, using basic android apps, I was no …I used to do this for fun, using basic android apps, I was no professional, but people seemed happy with the results

Thanks for your reply. How did you advertise yourself? Did you use platforms like Fiverr or other socials like Instagram?
matti12021/07/2020 18:03

I haven’t before, I’m a bit skeptical about doing it myself because I don’t want to spend all that money on buying parts and then make a mistake and end up corrupting the whole system.
matti12021/07/2020 18:43

Have a look on youtube theres lots of videos with help building a new one …Have a look on youtube theres lots of videos with help building a new one specifically for video editing

I’ve seen a lot on there but I don’t think I have the patience to build from scratch to be honest. Would prefer a pre-built system.
I would say this system is extremely good value for money:

awd-it.co.uk/awd…tml

Add a 2tb (or however much you want) regular HDD for £52, buy a Windows key off of ebay for a few quid. You'll be close to £100 under budget

Some things to consider:

This system will be a very capable gaming machine as a side effect.

SSD is small but in theory you'll only be putting the OS and editing software on it so it should be fine. Upgrading to a 512mb nmve drive will make booting and opening apps slightly faster (but you may struggle to notice the difference) and give a bit more breathing space. If you want to do any notable gaming on it, I'd upgrade.

If you don't use software and encoders that takes advantage of Cuda/NVidia, there is a significant amount of money being spent on a graphics card that'll go to waste there. make sure you can take advantage of it with the software you're using.

You can upgrade the CPU to a 3700x and it will be more capable for software video editing and still be under budget but... you probably wouldn't notice much difference if the GPU is being used by the video editor.
abigsmurf22/07/2020 00:13

I would say this system is extremely good value for …I would say this system is extremely good value for money:https://www.awd-it.co.uk/awd-raider-3600xt-six-core-4.5ghz-nvidia-rtx-2060-dual-6gb-desktop-pc.htmlAdd a 2tb (or however much you want) regular HDD for £52, buy a Windows key off of ebay for a few quid. You'll be close to £100 under budgetSome things to consider: This system will be a very capable gaming machine as a side effect.SSD is small but in theory you'll only be putting the OS and editing software on it so it should be fine. Upgrading to a 512mb nmve drive will make booting and opening apps slightly faster (but you may struggle to notice the difference) and give a bit more breathing space. If you want to do any notable gaming on it, I'd upgrade.If you don't use software and encoders that takes advantage of Cuda/NVidia, there is a significant amount of money being spent on a graphics card that'll go to waste there. make sure you can take advantage of it with the software you're using. You can upgrade the CPU to a 3700x and it will be more capable for software video editing and still be under budget but... you probably wouldn't notice much difference if the GPU is being used by the video editor.

Thanks for your detailed reply. How important is the RAM for video editing. I’ve seen videos on YouTube people recommending 16gb RAM as a minimum for 1080p video editing. Does RAM have an impact on rendering? I’ll be using softwares like Premiere Pro and Da Vinci Resolve for editing. But also looking to use After Effects for intros etc.
taprow21/07/2020 19:57

Thanks for your reply. How did you advertise yourself? Did you use …Thanks for your reply. How did you advertise yourself? Did you use platforms like Fiverr or other socials like Instagram?

I’ve never heard of fiver.

but yeah, just socials and gumtree
taprow22/07/2020 00:38

Thanks for your detailed reply. How important is the RAM for video …Thanks for your detailed reply. How important is the RAM for video editing. I’ve seen videos on YouTube people recommending 16gb RAM as a minimum for 1080p video editing. Does RAM have an impact on rendering? I’ll be using softwares like Premiere Pro and Da Vinci Resolve for editing. But also looking to use After Effects for intros etc.

For video editing RAM only has an effect when there's not enough, it'll cause the software to stutter more moving around in the preview but shouldn't affect the rendering speed. If you have more than you need, you won't notice any benefit. 16gb should be enough for 1080p, 32gb is recommended for 4k.
Mendoza22/07/2020 00:41

I’ve never heard of fiver.but yeah, just socials and gumtree

Thanks. Once I get my PC sorted, I guess I’m going to have to make some sample intros etc to showcase my skills etc on socials.
abigsmurf22/07/2020 01:06

For video editing RAM only has an effect when there's not enough, it'll …For video editing RAM only has an effect when there's not enough, it'll cause the software to stutter more moving around in the preview but shouldn't affect the rendering speed. If you have more than you need, you won't notice any benefit. 16gb should be enough for 1080p, 32gb is recommended for 4k.

Thanks a lot for your help with this. I like the deal you posted, I’m going to check like for like comparison on other sites like Palicomp etc. I’ll let you know how I get on. I’ll be in touch with you if I do go for what you’ve sent me.
taprow22/07/2020 14:24

Thanks. Once I get my PC sorted, I guess I’m going to have to make some s …Thanks. Once I get my PC sorted, I guess I’m going to have to make some sample intros etc to showcase my skills etc on socials.

yeah, you can bang them up on YouTube
Guys, thank you so much for your input so far
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants