Please help, need a new House Telephone set for my parents asap!

Found 2nd Jul
Hi all

My elderly parents are currently getting dangerous scam calls 5-6 times a day on their house phone but they don’t have any way of knowing who is calling or blocking the numbers.

I notice looking at house phones on Argos that quite a lot now have ‘Nuisance caller blocking’ so can anyone recommend a new Telephone set (2 handsets needed for up/downstairs) that has this scam call/call screening option AND MOST IMPORTANTLY is pretty easy to use, as they are pretty useless with any form of technology really but we can set it up for them.

Budget wise under £50 if possible please, nearer to £30 would be great but we can pay more if certain phone shows will do a brilliant job.

Thank you so much if you ca help us out! Thank
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
Are they registered with the TPS?
Who is their phone service provider? Many phone services providers have a subscribed (or free) filtering service.
Bt call protect which is free. You can monitor online the numbers blocked. Also notify their bank that they are venerable as they can put a note on a the account. Don't alway work to stop scams but another barrier.
I got BT essentials twin for my mum and whilst I can't vouch for the call blocking as she doesn't subscribe to caller display, she finds them otherwise very easy to use.

Currently around £40 at curry's , £45 on amazon

currys.co.uk/gbuk/phones-broadband-and-sat-nav/telephones/telephones/bt-essential-cordless-phone-twin-handsets-10171694-pdt.html?srcid=36&cmpid=comp~Kelkoo&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=-wxwirrwptp&istBid=t&tduid=b5d8ce58b92b5e04ea7347d8667eeef7
Edited by: "CatsWithThumbs" 2nd Jul
How about binning the house phone and using a mobile on pay as you go?
qwales5 m ago

How about binning the house phone and using a mobile on pay as you go?

Definitely a good suggestion.

Ditch the expensive house phone with extortionate line rental, get a cheap O2 Classic SIM which only charges 3p per minute, and stick it in one of these:

Steepletone Big Button GSM Telephone - White SGSM1 amazon.co.uk/dp/…6KQ

or

BW 2.4'' Wireless Quadband GSM Classic Desk TelePhone telephone handset For Business or family (especially for older folk) - Black amazon.co.uk/dp/…ZT8

Good reviews for both, they look like and behave like a landline but will save them a packet in the long run.
wayners36 m ago

Bt call protect which is free. You can monitor online the numbers blocked. …Bt call protect which is free. You can monitor online the numbers blocked. Also notify their bank that they are venerable as they can put a note on a the account. Don't alway work to stop scams but another barrier.

Venerable? They might be very holy but not sure the bank will care. Think you mean vulnerable. Good advice 're call protect. These scammers are the scum of the earth.
BTW I believe call protect is only useful if you get the number of the caller and they are based in the UK, a lot of these nuisance calls are routed from outside countries and even if you block the number it will most likely resurface on a new one.

If they don't want to get a mobile, get them to ask for a new number and put it X directory.
@psychobitchfromhell yeah vulnerable. Apparently the bank can put a note on account to say watch out for these folks. Heard about it on Martin Lewis 5 live radio show. Think everyone should have a note on account myself.
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Jul
wayners1 h, 17 m ago

@psychobitchfromhell yeah vulnerable. Apparently the bank can put a note …@psychobitchfromhell yeah vulnerable. Apparently the bank can put a note on account to say watch out for these folks. Heard about it on Martin Lewis 5 live radio show. Think everyone should have a note on account myself.

It's so sad that people have so few morals that they feel it is ok to exploit the elderly and vulnerable.
To directly answer question as presented: likely best balance of effectiveness and simplicity is any model landline phone having the Truecall / Truevoice / Call Guardian call screening option. Provisos: incoming caller ID service should be active on the landline service, and the user should be capable of making a decision to push a button on the handset.
The service consists of an automated call screening service. If a call is received from a number known to the phone, the phone rings as normal. If the caller's number is not recognised or withheld/unavailable, the call is automatically intercepted by the screening service and the caller asked to speak their name / introduction. Only after the caller has acknowledged that their name / intro has been recorded will the user's phone ring. The user picks up the phone to listen to the caller's name / intro. The user then decides to accept the incoming call once, or always accept that caller's number, or block the incoming number, or send the call to answer machine, or just hang up. The options are chosen by the user pushing the telephone's 1, 2, 3, or 4 button. This is a 100% effective solution if the user is capable of indicating a decision by pushing a button. 1m30s explanation vid: Example fulfilled Amazon under £20 handset either duo or trio BT 4600 Big Button Advanced Call Blocker Cordless Home Phone with Answer Machine (refurb 12m warranty) amazon.co.uk/gp/…5O/
Same ferature is available on other BT handsets and can be used with any landline provider's service.
Extended answer: BT and TalkTalk customers may be able to activate the same / similar service as part of their line rental package without the requirement to purchase a specific landline phone model.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 15 m ago

It's so sad that people have so few morals that they feel it is ok to …It's so sad that people have so few morals that they feel it is ok to exploit the elderly and vulnerable.

Sociopaths. Blight on the world. We all know at least one.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions