Please help us find a good broadband and phone provider! :)

So this is for my grandparents, they've been talked into all sorts and in a mess at the moment!

They've been with TalkTalk for several years now, but there have been many issues with the broadband. And every time we have approached TalkTalk over the phone it has been a nightmare, my grandparents cannot understand the offshore call centres, and they have made so many mistakes.

My grandfather recently walked into EE to top up his mobile and managed to get talked into switching all his broadband and phone services to EE (!!!!!), but told me he had no idea he had signed up for broadband, he thought they were helping him with his mobile! Called them up the next day to cancel, talked to TalkTalk to confirm nothing would be cancelled, they said yes thats fine, your services will continue as normal.

A month later and the broadband has stopped working, spoke to TalkTalk, sent an engineer out, engineer said it's a cable issue, need to send out OpenReach engineer the next day. No OpenReach engineer turned up. Called TalkTalk and they said OpenReach didn't receive the ticket because of a TalkTalk error. After an hour and a half phone call, they told us that it looks like the TalkTalk account has actually been cancelled (!!!) and we would have to start a brand new contract with them. The call went on for a long time, passing from department to department and we gave up in the end and said look we can't deal with this anymore, it keeps happening, too many mistakes, we want to cancel. So they cancelled.

Now they have no working broadband, but the phone line still works. I have no idea if and when the phone line will be turned off. But now they need a new provider...

So! Ideally they want broadband, doesn't need to be super fast, and anytime calls for the cheapest possible price, but with a decent customer service department that's based in the UK. Ideally no expensive setup costs. e.g. Sky seem to want a lot upfront whereas others don't ask for a penny...

Can anyone help please? Thanks!

16 Comments

this
Sky Broadband & Line Rental - £124 for 1 year New Customers
hotukdeals.com/dea…030

jco83

thisSky Broadband & Line Rental - £124 for 1 year New … thisSky Broadband & Line Rental - £124 for 1 year New Customershttp://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sky-broadband-line-rental-124-for-1-year-new-customers-2690030;)

Yeah that sky deals the best around at the moment, I've used them before and the service was excellent, much better than plusnet who I'm currently with

Can they get virgin

if he gets state pension with guaranteed credit have a look at bt basic + broadband £10 per month if they don't get the sky deal.

hope you sort it for them ....hate companies who take advantage of our elders
Edited by: "brianzion" 14th May

I took out the sky deal recently and it's been the easiest move ever. they're easy to talk to, customer service has been 5* when I've called up and we've had zero issues with the broadband. I'd highly recommend but as with all things everyone will have different experiences. hope you sort out everything for your grandparents.

Yep I recommend sky too,and you could potentially get cash back too if you open a Quidco account or topcash back account for them.

I am with Sky BB and talk anytime , never had an issue with them , good customer service for me , but always haggle for a best deal , good luck.

Been with Sky unlimited fibre broadband since March 2016, no issues whatsoever with consistent speeds as what they advertise. I'm certain that their unlimited 17mb non fibre will also be good so yeah give them a go plus you'll get UK call centre more likely

dunny06

if he gets state pension with guaranteed credit have a look at bt basic + … if he gets state pension with guaranteed credit have a look at bt basic + broadband £10 per month if they don't get the sky deal.

+1 to this, more info Here
Who can get BT Basic?

You must be getting one of the following benefits:

Income Support
Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
Pensions Credit (Guaranteed Credit)
Employment and Support Allowance (Income related)
Universal Credit (and are on zero earnings)

WaxMechaniK

\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09So this is for my grandparents, they've been … \x09\x09\x09\x09\x09\x09So this is for my grandparents, they've been talked into all sorts and in a mess at the moment!They've been with TalkTalk for several years now, but there have been many issues with the broadband. And every time we have approached TalkTalk over the phone it has been a nightmare, my grandparents cannot understand the offshore call centres, and they have made so many mistakes.My grandfather recently walked into EE to top up his mobile and managed to get talked into switching all his broadband and phone services to EE (!!!!!), but told me he had no idea he had signed up for broadband, he thought they were helping him with his mobile! Called them up the next day to cancel, talked to TalkTalk to confirm nothing would be cancelled, they said yes thats fine, your services will continue as normal.A month later and the broadband has stopped working, spoke to TalkTalk, sent an engineer out, engineer said it's a cable issue, need to send out OpenReach engineer the next day. No OpenReach engineer turned up. Called TalkTalk and they said OpenReach didn't receive the ticket because of a TalkTalk error. After an hour and a half phone call, they told us that it looks like the TalkTalk account has actually been cancelled (!!!) and we would have to start a brand new contract with them. The call went on for a long time, passing from department to department and we gave up in the end and said look we can't deal with this anymore, it keeps happening, too many mistakes, we want to cancel. So they cancelled.Now they have no working broadband, but the phone line still works. I have no idea if and when the phone line will be turned off. But now they need a new provider...So! Ideally they want broadband, doesn't need to be super fast, and anytime calls for the cheapest possible price, but with a decent customer service department that's based in the UK. Ideally no expensive setup costs. e.g. Sky seem to want a lot upfront whereas others don't ask for a penny...Can anyone help please? Thanks!

Just left Sky fibre @47Mbps (peak speed) and switched to cheaper EE super fibre @78Mbps (average) with an extra 5GB on my mobile data

Original Poster

Thanks everyone! Looks like Sky seems to be the best option.

The BT Basic package sounds interesting as he would be entitled to this. Although my grandmother makes a lot of calls so not sure this would suffice. Plus my grandfather spends more than half an hour online per day just browsing, so the 12GB cap might be too small. Hmmm.

WaxMechaniK

Thanks everyone! Looks like Sky seems to be the best option.The BT Basic … Thanks everyone! Looks like Sky seems to be the best option.The BT Basic package sounds interesting as he would be entitled to this. Although my grandmother makes a lot of calls so not sure this would suffice. Plus my grandfather spends more than half an hour online per day just browsing, so the 12GB cap might be too small. Hmmm.

12GB browsing for half an hour a day will be more than enough

Original Poster

xfaxfa

12GB browsing for half an hour a day will be more than enough

It says 12GB will give you half an hour a day on the BT site. But he spends a lot longer than that online and I've taught him to stream sometimes too!

The 12GB cap isn't enforced on BT Basic

Hey i would say first identify who are the providers available for your area. Following that you can work on a package for broadband and phone.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Parcel2go - missing parcel to italy33
    2. Random messages from a Mod called CUZZY33
    3. Where has the Freebies section gone ?23
    4. I think I'm being scammed on Paypal?913

See more discussions