Found 10th Nov 2009
family member has bought a used mercedes from a mercedes dealership. came with 3 month warranty. car still under warranty but has developed a fault with the steering. car returned to dealership to be told the repair was going to cost £2800 and dealership would only honour £500 so member now has to find the balance. is there anything he can do?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
10 Comments

Trading Standards

What did the warranty cover? Does it specify only certain problems and/or expense?

choc1969;6843280

Trading Standards

+1

Original Poster

apparantly it came with a multi point checklist that covered all aspects of the car. i am still awaiting the paperwork to continue my investigations but do appreciate any advice

Babbabooey;6843282

What did the warranty cover? Does it specify only certain problems … What did the warranty cover? Does it specify only certain problems and/or expense?

A car warranty will cover the steering as thats essential to driving the car. Dealers try to scam all the time but threaten legal action and they should cough up. If not get Trading Standards involved :thumbsup:

If the fault is down to "wear and tear" it is unlikely to be covered under a warranty.
More surprising to me is a MB dealer only offering a 3m warranty. Name and shame them.
What is the fault with the steering exactly?

Original Poster

unsure as of yet. getting all documents later.

can you get a number for Mercedes who control the dealership-i am sure they'd be interested too

Original Poster

Jumpingphil;6843817

How old is the Merc?

its an 02 reg

goods have to be fit for purpose and of reasonable durability, thats what the sale of goods acts says and there are no exceptions for second hand goods
this is why you go the dealer route not autotrader, tell them to fix it or refund original cost
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whey protien636
    2. CEX grading33
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person633
    4. What are the prices of supermarket counter pizzas?44

See more discussions