please sign

Found 24th Sep 2009
petitions.number10.gov.uk/24w…ks/

Many babies are born under 24 weeks are breathing and their little heart is beating. Under current legislation doctors can refuse to treat the child and leave them to die. I feel this is unfair and EVERY child should be given the chance to live. Please sign this petition to try and turn this legislation around

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
30 Comments

What about legal abortions? I believe they can be carried out up till 24 weeks? Will voting for this result in abortions becoming illegal? or is that the real purpose of the petition?

The way the petition is worded is very poor and misleading..........call me cynical but I think this a back-door way of making abortions illegal

signed have had twin boys who were extremely prem babies when i was 25wks 6days pregnant

Pro Choice.

Banned

I find it hard to belive babies are JUST LEFT TO die, i think there has to be a limit on this and am not for one minute saying what that limit should be, the legal abortion limit has come down as i belive this has, although i may be wrong

signed thanks

sassie;6382031

I find it hard to belive babies are JUST LEFT TO die, i think there has … I find it hard to belive babies are JUST LEFT TO die, i think there has to be a limit on this and am not for one minute saying what that limit was, the legal abortion limit has come down as i belive this has, although i may be wrong

I totally agree. I watched a heartbreaking story on This Morning yesterday. This woman's baby died and was officially 2 days away from being classed as a stillborn rather than a miscarriage. The baby was breathing for an hour or so - but no doctors came out till following morning - she is behind this campaign.

Everyone deserves a chance of life.

there was a thread recently about a lady whos baby was born alive but left to die

hotukdeals.com/ite…ng/

maybe u could add the link to this thread in the above thread

A loved and wanted child being refused life saving care because it's a few days too young is just heartbreaking. I think that the 24 week rule should be lowered by a couple of weeks, although in practice I think some hospitals do make exceptions. My boys were born at 29 weeks, and we met some lovely 24 weeker babies in NICU who did really well.

i think everyone should be given a chance young or older within reason, if it is only machines keeping them alive i think it is better to let them go, imho

bossyboots;6382061

I totally agree. I watched a heartbreaking story on This Morning … I totally agree. I watched a heartbreaking story on This Morning yesterday. This woman's baby died and was officially 2 days away from being classed as a stillborn rather than a miscarriage. The baby was breathing for an hour or so - but no doctors came out till following morning - she is behind this campaign.Everyone deserves a chance of life.

+ agree...but i thought the docs didnt even try to help that baby live? Cos it was classed as miscarried and wasnt given the care 'normal' prem babies are. I think this is a very very confusing area....as gari mentioned....if you expand this time limit then the time allowed for abortions will have to be shortened.....not sure where I stand on it but if a baby is born then surely docs etc are expected to try help it?!?!?!?!?!

there needs to be a balance between been humane and choice....everyone should have the choice to have an abortion at any reasonable time....yet it is clearly inhumane to leave and neglect a baby born just outside the 'premature baby guideline dates'.....who could refuse to help a baby that could have had a chance?!?!?!?!

as I said....very confusing and I honestly dont know what desicion or legislation could be passed that will please everyone :x

This petition is worded to make abortions illegal.

tinkerbell28;6382203

Nope don't believe in it, it's cruel to keep children alive sometimes … Nope don't believe in it, it's cruel to keep children alive sometimes it's not in their best interests sometimes it's beyond the realms of medical science, Below 24 weeks the chances of survival are slim and those that would survive would mainly have great difficulties and have a great deal of painful procedures performed over their tiny little lives, it's not just a case of medic leaving children to die as they cannot be bothered, they have to weigh up the odds and pushing for treatment is not always in the childs interests, the parents can't always see that.Petitions like this just won't make a difference, people fail to realise as heartbreaking as it is, babies die, and every day in the womb makes a difference at early stages, medical equipment is pushed to the limit as it is for the tiniest of babies over the limit, there is a limit as to what medicine can do, and if you keep adjusting the goal posts where do you stop? There has to be a cut off, or else you would keep lowering it and lowering it still. The term viable is there for a reason.I say that from "a cold hearted" medical point of view, but also as a mother who's last baby was a premmie and a mother who lost a baby to technical miscarriage.

+1 totally agree

Medical professionals have to make life or death decisions every day, based on a number of factors therefore I wont be signing.

errr no

chunky;6382323

+1 totally agree

I have to agree too.

Banned

Maybe the mothers should stop drinking and smoking and try and relax, as you can tell by my views I haven't signed. If it happened to me I would be very upset but I even think IVF is wrong you're just reproducing more people who have trouble conceiving. This can only lead to 99% of the population unable to conceive naturally.

Well i don't beileve abortions should be preformed up to the 24 week limit, this in my eyes is far to late. I do believe people should have the choice of an abortion but why soo late? I know things are found out at the 18-22 anomoly scan that may influence someone into having a aborton but at 24 weeks i think this is a real life viable baby. Why don't the goverment make the scan between 18 to 19 weeks and a cut off on abortions at 20 weeks? Sorry for going O/T
Will sign this cheers

my nephew was born at 23+5 days and he is perfect now. here is an article on him
dailymail.co.uk/fem…tml
i do believe though there should be a limit..it should be lowered though.

tinkerbell28;6382203

Nope don't believe in it, it's cruel to keep children alive sometimes … Nope don't believe in it, it's cruel to keep children alive sometimes it's not in their best interests sometimes it's beyond the realms of medical science, Below 24 weeks the chances of survival are slim and those that would survive would mainly have great difficulties and have a great deal of painful procedures performed over their tiny little lives, it's not just a case of medic leaving children to die as they cannot be bothered, they have to weigh up the odds and pushing for treatment is not always in the childs interests, the parents can't always see that.Petitions like this just won't make a difference, people fail to realise as heartbreaking as it is, babies die, and every day in the womb makes a difference at early stages, medical equipment is pushed to the limit as it is for the tiniest of babies over the limit, there is a limit as to what medicine can do, and if you keep adjusting the goal posts where do you stop? There has to be a cut off, or else you would keep lowering it and lowering it still. The term viable is there for a reason.I say that from "a cold hearted" medical point of view, but also as a mother who's last baby was a premmie and a mother who lost a baby to technical miscarriage.

Well said, that's by far the most sensible level headed thing said in here.

leilahfun;6383106

Well i don't beileve abortions should be preformed up to the 24 week … Well i don't beileve abortions should be preformed up to the 24 week limit, this in my eyes is far to late. I do believe people should have the choice of an abortion but why soo late? I know things are found out at the 18-22 anomoly scan that may influence someone into having a aborton but at 24 weeks i think this is a real life viable baby. Why don't the goverment make the scan between 18 to 19 weeks and a cut off on abortions at 20 weeks? Sorry for going O/T Will sign this cheers

Fetal anomaly Scans arent fool proof by any means, and even with a talented and experienced ultra sonographer it isn't always easy to spot an anomaly and sometimes require further tests which take time plus in an example of a downs or edwards baby, you need time to counsel and educate the parents so they can make an informed decision.

To be honest we should adopt the Spanish systems and cut off at 28-30 weeks a 20 week cutoff is ridiculous.

tinkerbell28;6382203

totally agree, there has to be a limit, and lowering abortion time should not happen it there for a reason, yes you do get some miracle babies, also think of how much time and money this costs the NHS for there to be such a slim chance of survival is it fair on the parents? the baby? and financially? NICU are over run as it is they need to ONLY treat the ones that have a good chance of survival.

I WILL NOT be signing

tracyhay;6385926

totally agree, there has to be a limit, and lowering abortion time should … totally agree, there has to be a limit, and lowering abortion time should not happen it there for a reason, yes you do get some miracle babies, also think of how much time and money this costs the NHS for there to be such a slim chance of survival is it fair on the parents? the baby? and financially? NICU are over run as it is they need to ONLY treat the ones that have a good chance of survival.I WILL NOT be signing

And also think of all the time and money the NHS pay re. drug addicitons, alcoholism etc.......................... I know what cause I want my contribution to go to.

lumoruk;6382487

Maybe the mothers should stop drinking and smoking and try and relax, as … Maybe the mothers should stop drinking and smoking and try and relax, as you can tell by my views I haven't signed. If it happened to me I would be very upset but I even think IVF is wrong you're just reproducing more people who have trouble conceiving. This can only lead to 99% of the population unable to conceive naturally.

it doesnt just happen to the mothers who drink,smoke etc
when it happened to me i did everything by the book and it still happened

its very hard to understand how it feels to lose a baby my oh says it was worse for him to deal with losing our son than losing his mother and he still cries very easily about it to this day and it was 5 yrs ago

i understand their has to be a limit but if babys are born alive and fighting 4 life they should be given a chance

i also think abortions should not be allowed late in pregnancy unless their are abnormalities/medical issues etc

Signed :thumbsup:

bossyboots;6386787

And also think of all the time and money the NHS pay re. drug addicitons, … And also think of all the time and money the NHS pay re. drug addicitons, alcoholism etc.......................... I know what cause I want my contribution to go to.

thats a very good point but the petition is not for drug or alcohol problems its about whether or not it should be legal to torture even younger premmie babies, we would not let an animal suffer as much as those little babies do

bossyboots;6386787

And also think of all the time and money the NHS pay re. drug addicitons, … And also think of all the time and money the NHS pay re. drug addicitons, alcoholism etc.......................... I know what cause I want my contribution to go to.

not forgetting the increasing obesity in our society ;-)

choc1969;6391071

not forgetting the increasing obesity in our society ;-)

they should stop eating babies then

Signed

As someone who is anti-abortion, except for extreme medical reason, I have signed the petition.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just a heads up about fake noodles being sold1619
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771869
    3. PlayStation VR is the number 1 selling product on Amazon right now1221
    4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19548043

See more discussions