please sign Gurkha Justice Campaign

Found 28th Apr 2009
please sign Gurkha Justice Campaign

- this government has blocked (in such a dirty - backhanded way) the right of a relatively few thousand gurkhas - who have fought so proudly for this country for years -

these families so deserve the right to be in this country - even though not all of them will !!

they were unjustifiably denied full pension rights - dont take away this as well

havent seen this posted - surprisingly - such a worthy cause

gurkhajustice.org.uk/

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

Original Poster

gurkhajustice.org.uk/

The Government decision of 25th April 2009 on Gurkha settlement rights is yet another huge betrayal of the Gurkhas who have served our country.

Only a tiny fraction of the Gurkhas who retired before 1997 will win settlement rights under the new policy. A Gurkha will have to have served 20 years or more or won one of a handful of medals: the big majority of Gurkhas served for 15 years under standard army policy

Signed

Banned

Couldn't agree more with the argument, but I stopped signing pointless internet petitions around 5 years ago.

Original Poster

vibeone;5055712

Couldn't agree more with the argument, but I stopped signing pointless … Couldn't agree more with the argument, but I stopped signing pointless internet petitions around 5 years ago.

disagree with you here vibeone - majority of people who feel that an injustice has been done dont take to the streets demonstrating

by taking 100,000+ signatures to parliament - it does get publicity - in some cases

It is a shame on this nation that they allow undesirables to enter and stay to fight against us to rob us of freedom, but those who fearlessly fought for our freedom are kept out. Signed.

Having worked with the gurkhas, I was disgusted when I heard the news. You would be hard pushed to find a better class of people in, or outside of the UK. Signed.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Blue"]Signed here also :thumbsup:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT]

This is a genuine question, so I am not being anti-Ghurka.

Surely thousands of people from other countries have fought with the British in the past.

In the second world war for example many people from India, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, fought with us.

Why is there such a campaign for the Ghurkas to live here?

(Please dont say I am being anti -Ghurka, I am not, I dont know enough about the situation to comment. But I am curious why there is this campaign for the Ghurkas and not others).

Banned

Predikuesi;5055769

It is a shame on this nation that they allow undesirables to enter and … It is a shame on this nation that they allow undesirables to enter and stay to fight against us to rob us of freedom, but those who fearlessly fought for our freedom are kept out. Signed.

Couldn't disagree more with Daily Mail rhetoric.

Of course the Gurkhas should be allowed to stay in this country. Not sure how much an online petition will do. The general populace won't take to the streets to do anything so the only thing remaining is 'direct action' on their behalf.

All the countries you have mentioned are commonwealth so have certain rights to be here. Ghurka's are from Nepal so don't have the same automatic rights

More info on origins and the relationship

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

Done Hun x

If the Gurkhas hijacked a plane at gunpoint and flew here this goverment would probably rule their human rights entitled them to stay here on benefits for the rest of their lives, just like the Afghan hijackers....Yet they put their lives on the line for this country and are snubbed.

Signed.:thumbsup:

guilbert53;5056068

This is a genuine question, so I am not being anti-Ghurka.Surely … This is a genuine question, so I am not being anti-Ghurka.Surely thousands of people from other countries have fought with the British in the past. In the second world war for example many people from India, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, fought with us.Why is there such a campaign for the Ghurkas to live here?(Please dont say I am being anti -Ghurka, I am not, I dont know enough about the situation to comment. But I am curious why there is this campaign for the Ghurkas and not others).

You are confusing fought with and fought for. The Canadians, Australian etc fought for their own country, in the employment of those countries. The Ghurkas are recruited directly by the British Army and so fight at their command.

Banned

cuzzy;5056215

If the Gurkhas hijacked a plane at gunpoint and flew here this goverment … If the Gurkhas hijacked a plane at gunpoint and flew here this goverment would probably rule their human rights entitled them to stay here on benefits for the rest of their lives, just like the Afghan hijackers....Yet they put their lives on the line for this country and are snubbed. Signed.:thumbsup:

I'd have thought that the hijackers you mentioned were allowed to stay because they would have been tortured on their return, but I can't be sure.

I doubt the Gurkhas would face the similar punishments so, um no.

FilthAndFurry;5056276

I'd have thought that the hijackers you mentioned were allowed to stay … I'd have thought that the hijackers you mentioned were allowed to stay because they would have been tortured on their return, but I can't be sure.

It is not that the hijackers WOULD have been tortured.

It is that they SAY they would have been tortured.

It is very easy for any (fake) asylum seeker to say they are being persecuted beause they are gay, or some other "made up " reason.

And of course being the gullible country we are we believe them.

Banned

guilbert53;5056327

It is not that the hijackers WOULD have been tortured.It is that they SAY … It is not that the hijackers WOULD have been tortured.It is that they SAY they would have been tortured.It is very easy for any (fake) asylum seeker to say they are being persecuted beause they are gay, or some other "made up " reason.And of course being the gullible country we are we believe them.

So we should just send them back and hope for the best? :?

Banned

FilthAndFurry;5056336

So we should just send them back and hope for the best? :?

Yes. I couldn't give a damn what happens to them. Seriously - they are hijackers, and therefore, I couldn't give a stuff what happens to them at all.

guilbert53;5056327

It is very easy for any (fake) asylum seeker to say they are being … It is very easy for any (fake) asylum seeker to say they are being persecuted beause they are gay, or some other "made up " reason.And of course being the gullible country we are we believe them.

Again some confusion, in this case confusing being 'gullible' with 'tolerance' . I've never heard of a country being called gullible. Tolerance/intolerance is often used in reference to state policies, but gullible doesn't quite work imo. I would even suggest that by their very nature, states cannot be gullible. But ho-hum - just boring semantics.

Banned

holly100;5055762

disagree with you here vibeone - majority of people who feel that an … disagree with you here vibeone - majority of people who feel that an injustice has been done dont take to the streets demonstrating by taking 100,000+ signatures to parliament - it does get publicity - in some cases

Yes - publicity, and nothing else. Seriously, like I said, I agree with you on the topic, but this is entirely pointless.

They have enough publicity, and the government will just ignore you. Why waste your time - just remember to vote next election.

Banned

vibeone;5056444

Yes. I couldn't give a damn what happens to them. Seriously - they are … Yes. I couldn't give a damn what happens to them. Seriously - they are hijackers, and therefore, I couldn't give a stuff what happens to them at all.

Do you not care why they're 'hijackers'? People don't tend to just hijack a plane because of a lack of legroom or because they're showing a Keira Knightley film.

Maybe it's just a compassion thing.

Banned

vibeone;5056456

Yes - publicity, and nothing else. Seriously, like I said, I agree with … Yes - publicity, and nothing else. Seriously, like I said, I agree with you on the topic, but this is entirely pointless.They have enough publicity, and the government will just ignore you. Why waste your time - just remember to vote next election.

That's a good one.

I've signed too [url]www.gurkhajustice.org.uk/[/url]

Signed

Original Poster

vibeone;5056456

Yes - publicity, and nothing else. Seriously, like I said, I agree with … Yes - publicity, and nothing else. Seriously, like I said, I agree with you on the topic, but this is entirely pointless.They have enough publicity, and the government will just ignore you. Why waste your time - just remember to vote next election.

i would like to think if enough pressure is put on government - they will change policy - so no i dont think i am wasting my time

i never forget to vote - not like 60+ % of people:thumbsup:

Banned

holly100;5068918

i would like to think if enough pressure is put on government - they will … i would like to think if enough pressure is put on government - they will change policy - so no i dont think i am wasting my timei never forget to vote - not like 60+ % of people:thumbsup:

I never forget not to vote either. Apathy helps no-one.

FilthAndFurry;5068986

I never forget not to vote either. Apathy helps no-one.

So you never vote?

Banned

hellfire;5071126

So you never vote?

On here I do.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

The big thing there though is the vote isn't binding so I wouldn't hold my breath in anything other than a "review" being set up by this dead party walking.

Thanks for that holly :thumbsup:

- quick and easy to sign the petition against a true and unnecessary injustice.

Banned

Signed.

Disgraceful treatment.

Banned

Just had this by email......................

At midday today, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith made the announcement to the … At midday today, Home Secretary Jacqui Smith made the announcement to the House of Commons that the Gurkha Justice Campaign have been fighting for for years. All ex-Gurkhas who have served more than 4 years in the British Army will have the right to settle in the UK if they wish.After such a long fight, with huge ups and downs, this is a superb announcement.We simply would not have won this fight without the massive, overwhelming support of all those who have supported our campaign. To the hundreds of thousands of people who have signed Gurkha Justice petitions, lobbied their MP, campaigned, attended rallies and marches - thank you so much to you all. This is your victory. It would not have happened without you.The Government has now responded to that campaign after court cases, votes in Parliament, a huge media campaign and, most importantly, massive public support. I am delighted, and humbled, at what has been achieved by our remarkable team.The whole campaign has been based on the belief that those who have fought and been prepared to die for our country should have the the right to live in our country. We owe them a debt of honour - a debt that will now be paid.With warmest good wishes,Joanna[url]www.gurkhajustice.org.uk[/url]

Post a comment
@
    Text