Plex Server Build Advice

Posted 21st Jul
My HP MicroServer Gen8 is running out of space (and isn't the most powerful) so looking to building something new and keep this running as Storage.
I've picked up 2 x 14tb and 2x 7TB over time, I am split between Unraid (new tech for me and cost) or a Win10 with 2 x Raid 1 setup for both pairs (if possible) to give me the most space backed up i.e. 21TB

90% of my watching is in house on strong wifi, playing on Nvidia Shields's so minimal transcoding needed.

As it's been years since I built anything and I've noticed quite a few techie people on posts here. Can you recommend a good box/build for me?

Was thinking a reconditioning box with PassMark around 10,000. . Just don't know where to start with which Box, Motherboard, RAM, CPU etc is good.
I presume an SSD for the OS and I would use Teamviewer to access as it will live under the stairs, wired into the router.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Hi,
I would pick up something like this: shop.westerndigital.com/en-…ied
Mind well, Its out of stock at the moment and this is older version, newer version is available.
If you go for PR4100, it is new and upgraded version.

Advantage of this is its less power hungry than building a Storage server!

For more advanced and new ones, keep looking for something like this:
hotukdeals.com/dea…978

Its plug and play and will allow you to build different RAID arrays (0,1,5,10).

Hope this helps!
BargainDealsHunter21/07/2020 16:02

Hi,I would pick up something like this: …Hi,I would pick up something like this: https://shop.westerndigital.com/en-gb/products/network-attached-storage/wd-my-cloud-expert-series-ex4-recertified#RWDBWWD0000NBK-EESNMind well, Its out of stock at the moment and this is older version, newer version is available.If you go for PR4100, it is new and upgraded version.Advantage of this is its less power hungry than building a Storage server!For more advanced and new ones, keep looking for something like this:https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/qnap-ts-453d-8g-4-bay-desktop-nas-8g-version-from-amazon-3480978Its plug and play and will allow you to build different RAID arrays (0,1,5,10).Hope this helps!

It's definitely at a good price, but it doesn't transcode, so not all in one solution to upgrade my Plex, rather a NAS solution. Thanks for the reply though.
If you're going down the NAS route I'd look into the suggested NAS solutions on Plex website.
You're kind of on your own if you go free nas.
Me I just use my pc as as a plex server and keep adding storage to that.
Edited by: "Call_me_dragon" 21st Jul
Why don't you look at adding a GPU to your Microserver to do the transcoding? Will take the load off your CPU...

My Plex Server is a Dell T710 , An old GT 640 2Gb easily handles 3 Transcodes.
Unless you want to start transcoding H.265 any Nvidia GPU with hardware transcoding will give your Microserver a boost.

If you want to start transcoding H.265 then you will need to spend a lot more money ;-) my T710 has Dual 6 Core Xeon's and 64Gb Ram (as well as the GPU) and H.265 makes it cough....

Good GPU transcode calculator here
elpamsoft.com/?p=…ing
Edited by: "Uridium" 21st Jul
I used to use, an old gaming machine as a server, and spent ages, always downloading movies, etc. the machine would be running 24/7

Then i discovered plex/emby paid servers. for the small cost, it was so much easier, and saved a good amount on electric..lol
Dinje21/07/2020 18:46

I used to use, an old gaming machine as a server, and spent ages, always …I used to use, an old gaming machine as a server, and spent ages, always downloading movies, etc. the machine would be running 24/7Then i discovered plex/emby paid servers. for the small cost, it was so much easier, and saved a good amount on electric..lol

A good plex server service is worth it's weight in gold. Netflix on steroids I like to call it
Is there a good site to help understand the requirements when building a machine? i.e. What motherboard for what CPU, which PSU to run the CPU and HDDs etc.

I'd like a cheap box that takes 4 HDD's and SDD, and a CPU with a passmark of 7000 - 10000. I'm hoping there is a good site to help build it.
A refurb would do the job.
stuartw22/07/2020 14:49

Is there a good site to help understand the requirements when building a …Is there a good site to help understand the requirements when building a machine? i.e. What motherboard for what CPU, which PSU to run the CPU and HDDs etc.I'd like a cheap box that takes 4 HDD's and SDD, and a CPU with a passmark of 7000 - 10000. I'm hoping there is a good site to help build it.A refurb would do the job.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/
Just built an Unraid box to replace a Synology DS216J that was slow and needing replacing. Been very impressed with Unraid and all the apps that are available. It can be run headless as well - the OS runs direct from a USB flash drive. You control the whole Unraid box via the web browser. I've only just started playing around with it but you can do a shed load with it (including running VMs) and a Plex server amongst other things.

I use it to back up from my main PC and then it syncs the files on the Unraid box to the cloud (using Rclone). I have a small website set up on it using LetsEncrypt, a Windows 10 VM, a Mac VM and a Plex Server. If you want to find out more, check out SpaceInvader One's YouTube channel as that's where I started - loads of tutorials on there.

I didn't go mad on specs as didn't want to spend a fortune:
Fractal Design Define Mini C case (you'll need more space though - I only have 2x3TB WD Red drives - one is storage with the other acting as a 'parity' drive in Unraid.
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3200G
Mobo - Gigabyte B450M DS3H
RAM - Corsair 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz
PSU - Aerocool 500Watt
M2 - 250GB WD Green (used as a 'cache' drive for Unraid.

Main reason I went with the 3200G is the built in Vega Graphics so I didn't need a separate GPU. I don't transcode as have a Shield same as you.

Long term I'll probably get a 2700 CPU to give me more cores/threads for the VMs plus a cheap GT710 so it's got a GPU to boot from and then also double the ram but at the moment it does the job nicely as I'm not running the VMs/Plex 24 hours a day/7 days a week.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants