Plex Server Noob

Found 19th Jul
Morning,

bit of a noob use to use kodi etc but would rather have my own personal "netflix"

looking at creating a media server to store films and tv shows for kids to watch from tablets/smart tvs etc round the home. what would be the best option on price and ease of use? not looking to spend £100s be nice if it ran in 1080 but dont think need 4k

thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I've got a HP Microserver and run Freenas which has a Plex plugin
You know Netflix is only a tenner a month split between 4 😁
A kodi server will work fine. A bit of a learning curve but you can DLNA to most things now. Best option is to make sure your media is in a format that doesn't need to be transcoded. Also make sure that the main server is connected to your wifi router by ethernet as wifi to wifi is always a bottleneck.
stefromuk43 m ago

You know Netflix is only a tenner a month split between 4 😁

if only i knew 4 people
Plex Server is quiet good in my book and is easy to set up, you might not understand the set up, but it will work, plus its also free as long as you dont want to watch stuff outside of your Home Network that youve set it up on.

Download Plex Sever fro PC, tell it where your video files are, then click to run the Server, done, for best results your Films etc, should be in MP4 / H264 or MKV format, that way you can switch off Transcoding so it wont use much CPU and RAM on the PC..
Kodi seems to be on its way out? I tried last week and couldn't get any app working.
splatsplatsplat3 h, 11 m ago

Kodi seems to be on its way out? I tried last week and couldn't get any …Kodi seems to be on its way out? I tried last week and couldn't get any app working.

Lol, windows 10 version works fine. Glad they're cracking down on the streamer add-ons.
I pay £50 a year to connect to “somebody’s “ server and it is like they describe it “ Netflix on steroids “
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants