PLEX USERS - Smart TV Question?

Found 12th Sep 2017
Would like to start using plex and create my own library, personally don't want to be able to access it on all the places or share over internet, i have fast internet but i just want it locally, I have a smart tv with plex on it, my tv is wall mounted and want the hard-drive flat

so 2 questions

1. does plex work on smart tv locally if hard drive plugged into usb slot of tv?
2. if so, will it work with a long connector (don't want the harddrive mounted rather it was sat of shelf nearby 0.5 metres
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
No, the app on the TV is a client. You need to have a separate server setup in on your network somewhere to serve the content to the client. This can be a laptop, PC, a raspberry pi or even a NAS.
Probably wont work, depends on the Plex App on your TV (try it and see) Im guessing the Plex App on your TV will be looking for Plex Server somewhere over the Local Network (easy enough to do and its free) if youve got an old laptop kicking around, even a slow out of date spec lappy will work well just running the basics and Plex Server on it, otherwise your in to buying a NAS Drive (just make sure it will run Plex)

Other thing you may find is the USB slot on the TV is for SD Card / Thumb Drives, and probably wont support an External Hard Drive with additional power requirements.

Tip, on Plex, for Movies try and keep your formats to MP4 type or MKV rather tham AVI etc, that way they will fly through without needing any transcoding processing, so you can switch off Transcodeing for good.
BeerDrinker1 h, 40 m ago

No, the app on the TV is a client. You need to have a separate server …No, the app on the TV is a client. You need to have a separate server setup in on your network somewhere to serve the content to the client. This can be a laptop, PC, a raspberry pi or even a NAS.

Agree with BeerDrinker. I however tried to set the Plex server up on a Netgear Readynas - it was so slow that it was unuseable. I have the Plex server on a laptop but the media storage folders on the Readynas - works well wirelessly, to the NOW TV box which I have side loaded Plex onto - no need for a cable.

I understand some of the newer NAS have more powerful processors - if going to buy a NAS I'd do a good google to identify one that will successfully host the Plex media server.
Edited by: "Van1973" 12th Sep 2017
I tried this ages ago, it's pointless. Takes too much time and just a pain. Just use terrarium tv and chromecast it! 😜
itsdavidjones198417 m ago

I tried this ages ago, it's pointless. Takes too much time and just a …I tried this ages ago, it's pointless. Takes too much time and just a pain. Just use terrarium tv and chromecast it! 😜

I can your right but just like the idea of having my own collection lol, will ask someone to get me a nas for christmas
Creatishh12th Sep 2017

I can your right but just like the idea of having my own collection lol, …I can your right but just like the idea of having my own collection lol, will ask someone to get me a nas for christmas

get a refurb wd NAS. My 2TB one cost £60 a year agop and its superb for home network.
HP Microserver is another popular alternative to a NAS....

If you subscribe to Plex as a Pemium account you can also have a a Plex cloud library so no NAS requirement etc...but personally I prefer a local media server.

Once you get into Plex it's great, add a port forward on your router and access your media anywhere. Multiple user accounts in the home for the family with seperate viewed/unviewed records etc...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants