Plug socket / laptop question

Found 5th FebEdited by:"Quicklite"
Hi guys,
Quick question. Have gone through a few used SSDs lately on my Dell laptop and 1x new RAM. Not sure if it's my bad luck getting used SSDs / sodimms (likely had into a Intel drive from a eBay seller). Another Crucial and now 1x Samsung now has problems & some sodimm RAM became unstable and had to be swapped out).

(The problem doesn't show in Crystalmarkinfo - though the drive sometimes just does not appear.) I'll get a proper Samsung Pro drive with warranty, that should help.

Just in case it's something to do with the power at the house - I'm just using standard wall plug. Would it be safer to get a surge protector plug and use the laptop through that? (does that help at all?) Also if there is notable powerdraw on the other socket - would that affect the internal components of the laptop?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
6 Comments
SSD's have a limited number of read/write operations before they die which is why most people are reluctant to buy 2nd hand ones.

If you get a multi meter and test the output of charger matches what it's supposed to be outputting it would be a simple check which would help rule it out.
Samsung Magician, Perfectdisk and other software can read the error stats on the SSD and give you warning of impending failure. I found out after I lost an SSD as I was staring at the screen.

The good news was that the data was still there and I had it recovered - for free. Teh firm tries to charge me but I said no to the ever increasing prices and when the disk came back, all the recovered data was there. Just needed to tweak the permissions to access it. I suspect there are some recovery tools out there that can do it.

Beware of letting automated defrags or frequent AV full scans run on your SSD as they use up SSD life
joedastudd46 m ago

SSD's have a limited number of read/write operations before they die which …SSD's have a limited number of read/write operations before they die which is why most people are reluctant to buy 2nd hand ones.

Well, it is a very, very large number and the concern is with drives that might have been used in servers. A worn out drive should either die entirely, post large numbers of errors or go read-only. Intermittent behaviour.

Plugged in laptops run on DC voltages that matches their battery voltage, created by the laptop power brick. They don't run directly off mains electricity.

It's unlikely to be the mains electricity it could well be problems with another component in the computer.
I guess will steer away from Intel as those tends to be used in servers. At least used samsungs are more likely to be originally from consumer laptops.
Meant to say; HEAT. Laptops often take air in through the base and the base often gets dumped on things that block the ducts. Heat is an SSD killer as well
Most likely your laptop bios isn't up to date. Quite a lot of laptops had issues with disappearing drives due to entering a low power mode and then not awakening properly. Switch the laptop to high performance mode under the battery settings.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants