Plumber cost.

Found 1st Aug
Hi,
we have a horrible smell when we use the shower or washer.
I have Googled and reckon I need a p trap fitted.
How much would that cost if any plumbers on here?
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
A p trap is a u bend. Anything from £3 to £25 if you buy it and do it yourself. If you get a plumber your looking at silly money £100 plus parts with markup.

Screwfix/toolstation/b&q will have what you likely need.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 1st Aug
cmdr_elito21 m ago

A p trap is a u bend. Anything from £3 to £25 if you buy it and do it y …A p trap is a u bend. Anything from £3 to £25 if you buy it and do it yourself. If you get a plumber your looking at silly money £100 plus parts with markup.Screwfix/toolstation/b&q will have what you likely need.

I don't know a single plumber that charges £100 to change a trap. Pimlico Plumbers are £95.

OP just make sure you buy McAlpine, it might be 50% more but they always work. You will want to use an anti vac one.
Id just clean out all the u bends and outside drains. Also squirt thick toilet bleach down your sink overflows every few months.

For outside ones man up and get your hand down there and scoop all the gunk out.
themorgatron1 h, 2 m ago

I don't know a single plumber that charges £100 to change a trap. Pimlico …I don't know a single plumber that charges £100 to change a trap. Pimlico Plumbers are £95.OP just make sure you buy McAlpine, it might be 50% more but they always work. You will want to use an anti vac one.

This may not be a simple swap out, it sounds like they don’t have one perhaps the house had some dodgy diy install in the bathroom, so the pipe work needs to be redone. Call out plus a couple of hours work plus parts is going to be over £100 when the OP could do it themselves for hardly anything. It’s as easy and Lego. Good shout on the mc alpine, agree.
Had a similar issue where I was getting a sewage smell coming in the kitchen every now and again, especially after running the washing machine. Just opened the outside waste pipes and put a smaller pipe through it with a cloth on the end. Was disgusting but did the job.
Definitely agree with @cmdr_elito if it can be accessed without too much trouble and you can use your hands DIY is a good shout.
Look at your current set up and Google what it should look like. I'm sure there will be many photos.
When you know what you need, check you tube for how to videos.
The issue is waste pipes not mains water so it's not a huge risk in giving it a go your self.
Make sure you don't miss or damage any seals.
Worst case scenario you notice a small leak when you test your work holds. If you can't remedy the fault you pay for help that you would have done anyway.
Edited by: "BFCsider" 1st Aug
Avoid using liquid detergent in washing machine too, doesn't have any bleaching agents like powder does. That gunks all your pipes up. Should have p trap though regardless. Not really a difficult job but it's within a confined space etc.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 2nd Aug
Cant believe you dont already have the correct pipework, as some have said try drain cleaners first, even putting bleach down the drain on a night could help, its warm and smells will occur. there are plenty of good ones for less than a quid in the like of home bargains.

For the washer you should clean it, just get some white vinegar and some soda crystals. put the soda crystals in the drum, about half a cup, add the white vinegar once the washer starts, some you can add to the drum but some drain, about half a bottle and put on the hottest wash. Take out the soap try and scrub that, also with hot clean water with some vinegar clean where the drawer goes, it can get black muck in it, this is harmless so just clean it. Clean the door seals and door and the smell should go.

Vinegar is also good for dishwashers.

mysupermarket.co.uk/ice…tml
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Aug
Electric showers pull switch stinks of fish if it has loose connection and is burning. If it is the drain plug get the hose pipe in and remove any plug covers if any, cover and blast water down plug hole to clear. I do it every year and by change done the kitchen sink yesterday. I'll do the bath and sink at weekend. I normally block overflow with sponge while I clear. Simple. Free and works great. Smells a bit as you stir up cit when blasting water from hose pipe down holes
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Aug
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants