Groups

plumber help

hi there need a plumbers help, recently knowticed my button on the toilet was getting stiff and doesn't flush properly, cab anyone help with this, and possible know a part i can buy, thanks again.

23 Comments

You're in the wrong category. You need to go under "ask" as this is not a deal

I reckon the button isn't pushing down on the right bit inside the cistern. Take the lid off and ensure its not the button itself, push the plastic flush buttons under the lid to see if it's them

get the whole system from screwfix and replace it all around <£15

this is going get boiling hot

SuperEd

Moved to ASK, thanks

This is a common problem with push flush cistern. I have had mine replaced twice now. You can't just replace the button, you have to replace the whole flush mechanism. We had plumbing cover with British Gas so they replaced it, otherwise you need a plumber unless you can do plumbing.

Original Poster

evilcod 2009

this is going get boiling hot

​took it off and it seems to push down properly but when the cable thing is connected it just seems to be really hard to push down, there is 3 'clip' things that hold it in and 1 of them are broke, would i be best getting a whole new flush thing

Banned

post a picture with the cistern lid off......

But while I am waiting I will enjoy the comments...

Banned

mutley1

This is a common problem with push flush cistern. I have had mine … This is a common problem with push flush cistern. I have had mine replaced twice now. You can't just replace the button, you have to replace the whole flush mechanism.

No you dont

Banned

andrewmclachlan1

​took it off and it seems to push down properly but when the cable thing i … ​took it off and it seems to push down properly but when the cable thing is connected it just seems to be really hard to push down, there is 3 'clip' things that hold it in and 1 of them are broke, would i be best getting a whole new flush thing

He was taking the mick because you posted in the wrong section. But now the mods have moved it to the right place.

Original Poster

cant see how to post a picture, just says image url lol

Banned

andrewmclachlan1

cant see how to post a picture, just says image url lol

well if you could manage it I can tell you whats wrong in no time at all.

last time I shared pics on here I had to upload to dropbox

Original Poster

ill do that cheers

andrewmclachlan1

[img][/img]

Top right of the message window 8 icons Bold, Italics, Underline, Quotes, Smileys, Picture << click this and paste the link address of the image location... provided you've uploaded said image to a photo storage site like Imgur
    Edited by: "philphil61" 3rd Sep 2016

Button replacement depends on where you got your cistern from. My mum had issues with her B&Q cistern as it used none standard parts and I think she just got fed up with the hassle and bought a cistern from screwfix in the end.

kester76

Button replacement depends on where you got your cistern from. My mum had … Button replacement depends on where you got your cistern from. My mum had issues with her B&Q cistern as it used none standard parts and I think she just got fed up with the hassle and bought a cistern from screwfix in the end.

I never buy a button flush cistern anymore but they are the standard ones you see in the shops now. They look better than the traditional handle flush but I always look for the handle flush cisterns now.

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

post a picture with the cistern lid off...... But while I am waiting I … post a picture with the cistern lid off...... But while I am waiting I will enjoy the comments...

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0o1g85uux35zzd8/AAAxHWoCogTLShY-aUOv68wza

andrewmclachlan1

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/0o1g85uux35zzd8/AAAxHWoCogTLShY-aUOv68wza[img]https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/2/AAAzmefbmNPi8Qvj4V5skX22sO0jxCRqkXIske8vlIhinw/12/80618990/jpeg/32x32/3/1472922000/0/2/20160903_110157.jpg/EK-g2T4YkBcgBygH/v4YPdQ-DdchhXuk6DcrdRGxhfy_bL5uHSJjLc_Xb-Uc?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=1280x960[/img][img]https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/2/AAAbM-9RLWgMiMWLcIp6d--sLnkrYxRO2lCn3Rxgx0p7yA/12/80618990/jpeg/32x32/3/1472922000/0/2/20160903_112253.jpg/EK-g2T4YkBcgBygH/_eEckrkruRzWNvo-D6QN3YQ8rLj8BI-E5oIZg8Up-gI?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=1280x960[/img]

Is that a brake cable ? Might be worth spraying it with WD40

Banned

kester76

Is that a brake cable ? Might be worth spraying it with WD40

^^^^ this

Put it on the pivots and the exposed cable & maybe unscrew the back of the button & put a bit on there. And just play with it for a bit to loosen it up,

Original Poster

it is, ill try that before i end up replacing the whole thing
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Three connection67
      2. Jury service912
      3. Need help with home Internet dropping out please44
      4. Tooth extraction1012

See more discussions