Groups

Plumbing advice needed. Installing Pressure reducing valve.

We have a portable catering trailer where the supplied pump is a monster pumping out at 40psi. We are limited with water and would prefer this to be at much lower pressure. It auto shuts off when it reaches pressure and auto-starts again when you open the tap.

The connection between the pump (plastic thread) and the water heating unit (also 15mm thread) is a single flexi hose.

I wish to install this PRV which seems like it will just go in between the two? screwfix.com/p/h…78j

5 Comments

That should work, assuming the ends connecting to it are both 1/2" female threads. They are quite heavy so make sure it's not stressing any fittings.

I would use a shower hose washer on each end if there isn't one already, don't over-tighten as you will cut the washers on the compression thread end.

Also 1.5 bar is still quite high pressure.

Banned

You can do it but I doubt it would last long on a flexi hose. They will be fighting each other causing massive vibration.

You could try fitting it all in solid pipework but I personally would address the pump.

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments guys. It all plugs in together ok, just need to wait for the weekend now so I can get power to it. I am concerned thought that 1.5bar is still too high but it will be almost half of the current 40psi it's pumping out at.

Original Poster

YouDontWantToKnow

You can do it but I doubt it would last long on a flexi hose. They will … You can do it but I doubt it would last long on a flexi hose. They will be fighting each other causing massive vibration.You could try fitting it all in solid pipework but I personally would address the pump.

When you say address the pump do you mean replace it for something smaller? It's installed with the prv now but just sitting there at the moment but if it passes it's test over the weekend then I'll look to mount it to the wall or something. There is a very good reason I'm not a plumber (or an electrician! (B)Lue doesn't mean (L)IVE).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553780
      2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047092
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7071341
      4. Do you have one of these 2.1 million 50p's selling for 20x its value?715

See more discussions