Groups

plumbing help please

i have a blocked sink, removed ubend etc and they are clear, i can only assume the blockage is in the actual waste pipe that goes outside.
    Any tips on how to clear it? i tried bicarb soda and vinegar but no luck

22 Comments

If you have one of those old fashioned curtain springs, the type you hang net curtains on, you could try feeding it down the drain and shove it up and down]http//ww…jpg

If the house is modern, there should be a 4 inch access pint on the floor outside the window above the sink

Good old fashioned plunger ,A couple of quid from B&Q,
    Fill the sink with water half way and plunge away ,

Try a plunger.... ^^ Beat me to it ^^ lol

Original Poster

zygo;6268184

If the house is modern, there should be a 4 inch access pint on the floor … If the house is modern, there should be a 4 inch access pint on the floor outside the window above the sink.

not modern. there a big metal pipe outside, i couldnt open it if i tried. just been told about some kind of flexible stick, so i guess thats the best option

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6268194

Good old fashioned plunger ,A couple of quid from B&Q,Fill the sink with … Good old fashioned plunger ,A couple of quid from B&Q,Fill the sink with water half way and plunge away ,

BeeKeeper;6268196

Try a plunger.

really?

well, a stick and a plunger then it is

i had the same problem a few years ago, i removed the u-bend and used a broom handle to push the blockage through the 2" pipe that goes through the cavity wall and this cleared the blockage. no problem since then.

plunge it, if that dont work, man hole and get the drain rod thing from B and Q and poke away!!
    Try what you can before calling someone out!

Original Poster

pcnutta;6268245

plunge it, if that dont work, man hole and get the drain rod thing from B … plunge it, if that dont work, man hole and get the drain rod thing from B and Q and poke away!!Try what you can before calling someone out!

lol, calling someone out will be after ive tried everything twice :thumbsup:

There is something on the market for unblocking drains , it's like a gell you pour down the sink , it's supposed to eat away at the blockage .Worth a try , gota be cheaper than plumber's rates.

MikeL;6268167

If you have one of those old fashioned curtain springs, the type you hang … If you have one of those old fashioned curtain springs, the type you hang net curtains on, you could try feeding it down the drain and shove it up and down]http://www.julians.net/ebay/netcurtains/wire.jpg

Brilliant for removing hair from bathroom pipes as well. Has sorted numerous blockages for me. I have one in the bathroom cupboard just for this. Has been nearly thrown away by others so many times. Excellent tool.

Original Poster

well, a long stick and net curtain wire with hook didnt work. The wire went down a good 8ft or so, so i think its a plumber job now.

a couple of blasts down plughole with a pressure washer will sort it will squirt a bit of water back into kitchen but saves you a lot of hard work

Mr Muscle Sink and Plug cleaner in a orange bottle. Brilliant stuff. Shove it down, wait and bit and flush it through. x

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972;6268887

a couple of blasts down plughole with a pressure washer will sort it will … a couple of blasts down plughole with a pressure washer will sort it will squirt a bit of water back into kitchen but saves you a lot of hard work

:w00t:

even if i had one, im not sure i would try that!

Sheena0104;6268923

Mr Muscle Sink and Plug cleaner in a orange bottle. Brilliant stuff. … Mr Muscle Sink and Plug cleaner in a orange bottle. Brilliant stuff. Shove it down, wait and bit and flush it through. x

cant hurt to try, unless it costs £10 and doesnt work :?

just use caustic soda, costs about £2 from diy store. it's like acid, it will just burn through it no probs. be carefull not to inhale!

shanecr;6268972

:w00t:even if i had one, im not sure i would try that

my brother in law is a plumber thats what he does fair enough he has an attachment for his pressure washer if blasts dont work but usually do

Banned

Cillt-Bang Sink & Pipe unblocker should do the trick

much better than mr muscle stuff

Stop pouring oil and food debris down the sink, but that don't help alot now. The problem with the acidic grot eaters is ot's very very aggressive and can ruin the seals on the joints as it burns it's way through.

You could try cutting the pipe in various places and looking down to find the block and then when cleared just glue a socket on to fix. Even a numpty can do that, or even remove the pipe and start again.

Garden hose, take off any attachment, push it through as far as it goes, open the water full power and it might do the the job. You might try to pull the pipe forward and backward to assist in generating power pressure to push all these nasty stuff down.

Original Poster

Well it seems a combo of bicarb soda and vinegar and a length of curtain wire did the trick, got up this morning and the sink clears as normal. I guess it just needed a bit of time. i will try get some mr muscle or cilit bang type stuff to try clear anything that might have built up and might still be there though.

Just another point to think of that when you plunge any waste is that your wasting (sorry couldn't resist:whistling:) your time if you don't block the overflow with a wet rag as you plunge it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What is the true cost of 4K HDR home cinema entertainment in 2017?66
      2. Ps4 slim how much should I charge 2nd hand.56
      3. Laptop 1060 gtx ?33
      4. Jury service1114

See more discussions