Plumbing question - which way to unscrew a hose

Found 27th Mar 2012
I need some help!
Which way will unscrew the shower hose from the connector thingy?
Pic like the one I mean in post 1. It faces down like in the picture.
My Granny always used to say 'righty tighty, lefty loosy' but it depends which way up you are looking at it (from above or below).
The new hose is leaking but I don't know which way I need to screw it.

1. Misc
  2. Hose
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Hose
92 Comments

Original Poster

http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/wcsstore7.00.00.446/ExtendedSitesCatalogAssetStore/images/products/AssetPush/wol-web-proof-pdp-w/std.lang.all/0(/1)/D59220(1)_wpdp.jpg

Original Poster

^^ Do I need to screw clockwise or anticlockwise to loosen/remove the shower hose?

anti

pinkleponkle

anti

This

Why not try both ways, at least 1 way will work.

Original Poster

pinkleponkle

anti

pinkleponkle

anti

Thanks!

Original Poster

Untouch

Why not try both ways, at least 1 way will work.

That thought, plus some brute force and ignorance of man has jammed this thing so tight that the wall connector is now starting to come loose from the brute force part.
Now it's up to the woman to come along, fix it quietly and pretend the man's efforts did the job.

I vote anti

Its on a standard thread I would have thought, so anticlockwise. You never used a screwdriver? X)

Original Poster

jonny619447

Its on a standard thread I would have thought, so anticlockwise. You … Its on a standard thread I would have thought, so anticlockwise. You never used a screwdriver? X)

oO
Now I'm worried!

DEALWARRIOR

I vote anti

Well, if not I'm blaming you all. I might then ask WIHAD to come round and fix it X)

sickly i'm surprised you asked this!
oO

DEALWARRIOR

I vote anti

plus a pair of gas pliers to loosen it off

Original Poster

doritos

sickly i'm surprised you asked this! oO

You misread the OP, it's how to unscrew a hose not how to screw hoes.

we got a bloke in another thread about to puncture his gas main with an o6 polish drill bit ,lol

Original Poster

DEALWARRIOR

plus a pair of gas pliers to loosen it off

Urm....come again?
I have some 60 year old knackered pliers I inherited from my Grandfather, they'll have to do. If not, I have to call the handsome plumber to come and help me.

jonny619447

Its on a standard thread I would have thought, so anticlockwise. You … Its on a standard thread I would have thought, so anticlockwise. You never used a screwdriver? X)

DEALWARRIOR

I vote anti

What I'm saying is most things are on an anticlockwise thread. rarely you get threads that you turn clockwise to untighten, you find these where there is a torque force that could naturally cause the nut or what ever is on the thread to untighten itself. Your shower will be an anticlockwise thread though.

You done it yet?
Edited by: "jonny619447" 27th Mar 2012

If your going to use pliers, put some rubber between the pliers and the hose to prevent damage and slippage.

Oneday77

If your going to use pliers, put some rubber between the pliers and the … If your going to use pliers, put some rubber between the pliers and the hose to prevent damage and slippage.

good tip, that's how we ended up with two kids ! true story dat ! lol

righty tighty lefty loosy... wd40 maybe to help loosen it
Edited by: "Sparkley123" 27th Mar 2012

Original Poster

jonny619447

What I'm saying is most things are on an anticlockwise thread. rarely you … What I'm saying is most things are on an anticlockwise thread. rarely you get threads that you turn clockwise to untighten, you find these where there is a torque force that could naturally cause the nut or what ever is on the thread to untighten itself. Your shower will be an anticlockwise thread though. You done it yet?

Ah, but I didn't know if the connector was the right way up (it could face up or down) which in my head makes me think it would change the direction which I need to turn it. This may or may not be right but it's late and my brain is frazzled.
As I said in the OP, I've always gone by 'righty tighty, lefty loosy' which usually works. Good ol' Granny and her little sayings.

Original Poster

Oneday77

If your going to use pliers, put some rubber between the pliers and the … If your going to use pliers, put some rubber between the pliers and the hose to prevent damage and slippage.

Would a rubber band do?
Thanks for the tip, I'm going to attempt it in a minute.
Wish me luck!

Sparkley123

righty tighty lefty lucy... wd40 maybe to help loosen it

We are not talking about a 10 year old seized rusty bolt! (_;)

Original Poster

Sparkley123

righty tighty lefty loosy... wd40 maybe to help loosen it

I want a shower in a bit and don't fancy getting the WD40 in my hair. I may do this as a last resort but I'm not tempted to try that just yet, the rubber band idea sounds less messy and hair-friendly.

Anything that has a bit of thickness and stops the teeth of the pliers hitting the metal.

No wonder there are so many DIY injuries and deaths if questions like these have to be asked!

Original Poster

Well, that was unsuccessful.

Oneday77

Anything that has a bit of thickness and stops the teeth of the pliers … Anything that has a bit of thickness and stops the teeth of the pliers hitting the metal.

I managed to get the rubber bands to turn...the bit I wanted to move just stayed put.
One of the pliers has sharp grooves and has sliced through the rubber bands. The other pliers are broken.
Crap.
Any last ditch attempt suggestions to save me from calling Mr. Hot Plumber Man tomorrow?

cdm22

No wonder there are so many DIY injuries and deaths if questions like … No wonder there are so many DIY injuries and deaths if questions like these have to be asked!

Yeah, I suck at DIY.

With the pliers and a new rubber band, try again but this time try to wriggle to connector in both directions before unscrewing to try to break the seal. I usually find running hot water through the hose first helps to soften the rubber washer between the hose and the connector.

p.s. do you know your left and rights?

Those connections are supposed to be hand tight, no tools should be used on them. That's why they have a thick rubber washer.

Spray some anti - cal on the joint and leave to soak.

It is probably just a build up of lime scale.

i use one of these staright on. find it moves pretty much anything and as it locks can do minimal damage.

[img]t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUz-mdZWGKK90m-BwGlWhQlzFWRJia4X2LoH0kDKjaUwcMf9i-Tg[/img]

i find diy projects are best done in daylight. a bit of sunlight kama always help.

Am I missing something here, if it as in the photo it's clockwise to undo not anti.

OP, it's not worth getting a plumber out unless he won't charge a call out fee.
They are usually made of plastic, so, just just drill a hole through the conical fitting close to the flexi hose, and stick a screwdriver in and twist it off.
A new hose is a tenner, so not worth saving.

greg_68

Am I missing something here, if it as in the photo it's clockwise to undo … Am I missing something here, if it as in the photo it's clockwise to undo not anti.

It's just you.

Banned

depends which way the connector is facing. anti if facing upwards. clockwise if pointing down

It's righty loosy, lefty tighty as it's upside down. If it were a nut onto a threaded bar (which was pointing down) you'd turn it to the left as you are looking at it to tighten it (come upwards).

csiman

depends which way the connector is facing. anti if facing upwards. … depends which way the connector is facing. anti if facing upwards. clockwise if pointing down

The connector part is facing down (I assume if it's like nearly all others) and the hose screws up into it so it's deffo clockwise to untighten, no wonder they can't get it off.

like this i assume

http://www.sanliv.com/faucets/Wall-Shower-Outlet-a2410.jpg

Edited by: "greg_68" 28th Mar 2012

Wrong, it's anti clockwise

souljacker

Wrong, it's anti clockwise

looking down as in the SS photo, to undo is clockwise.

It's the same as a bottle with a screw cap on, turn the bottle upside down and see which way you turn the cap to get it off if you looking down at the bottom of the bottle (make sure the bottle is empty first X) )

Edited by: "greg_68" 28th Mar 2012

greg_68

looking down as in the SS photo, to undo is clockwise.It's the same as a … looking down as in the SS photo, to undo is clockwise.It's the same as a bottle with a screw cap on, turn the bottle upside down and see which way you turn the cap to get it off if you looking down at the bottom of the bottle (make sure the bottle is empty first X) )

Greg - look at your photo you can clearly see the thread, sorry but you are wrong.

did you do the bottle test, which way did you turn it?

I agree if you are looking up at it then yes it is anti but in ss's photo if you are looking down it is clockwise.

I am guessing that we will never agree on this other than to ask what happens if you do the bottle test?

Banned

Milkfloat

Greg - look at your photo you can clearly see the thread, sorry but you … Greg - look at your photo you can clearly see the thread, sorry but you are wrong.

no, he is right if you are looking down on it (which shower hose connectors would be unless you're a midget )
Post a comment
@
    Text