Plumbing spanner?

Posted 3rd Dec
Hi lovely people, just been advised by the missus that the bathroom sink is leaking, after a quick look, I couldn't see anything leaking so will need to strip it down and check the seals etc to find the leak... but I can't get fingers round the screw part of the waste pipe, is there a spanner/tool to get these loose? It's about 100mm wide
Its the bottom one of the picture
3355049-5tOJC.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
Plastic on copper?
Hang some tissue paper around suspected suspected weep points & take a look tomorrow.
NB might be badly seated taps & sink splash, do they move?
If you hve a " rubber belt" operated jar lever opener that will probably work, or else an adjustable wrench & some cloth to pad the plastic out with so you don't rip the plastic knurls to bits.
Haircut_10003/12/2019 19:09

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-water-pump-pliers-10/9689v

Thanks for looking but They only open to 30mm, I need them to be 3x that
Water pump pliers / slip joint pliers . From £3.99 @screwfix
Edited by: "mikeportsmouth" 3rd Dec
Douglas_Birks03/12/2019 19:16

Thanks for looking but They only open to 30mm, I need them to be 3x that

Not sure where you got that info , they open much wider than that when you adjust down to biggest setting , maybe 30mm at first setting
Edited by: "mikeportsmouth" 3rd Dec
mikeportsmouth03/12/2019 19:24

Not sure where you got that info , they open much wider than that when you …Not sure where you got that info , they open much wider than that when you adjust down to biggest setting , maybe 30mm at first setting

That Web page says max jaw opening 34mm
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 3rd Dec
Think they may be wrong but hey ho
mikeportsmouth03/12/2019 19:26

Think they may be wrong but hey ho

I've got to be honest I thought so too, as I've seen them tools before
Its what I`ve used for that type of thing in the past , screwfix have some around £4 always worth a try
Thanks everyone, your amazing as usual, thanks again
Run a bit of warm water through & try again after it has expanded & maybe shifted biggest of caked on detritus in the pipe join.
It should only be hand tight but if you're struggling use a baby boa amazon.co.uk/Bab…c=1

Similar available at toolstation/screwfix.

I wouldn't start stripping it down until you know the location of the leak though.

If you think it's coming from the waste then fill the basin and let the water go all at once while taps running too, and check. Use a dry hand and have a feel around, while keep checking your hand for wet. Have a feel around the hoses while you're at it. You might not see wetness but you will when it on your hand.
Edited by: "ScubaDudes" 3rd Dec
Oh come on folks. Large flat blade screw driver held against the grip spline. Then tapped with a hand or lightly with a hammer, to knock round anti-clockwise. It won’t be so much right but awkward to grip.
Just make sure you don’t belt it too hard and crack the pipe or knock the whole fitting loose.
Get an old innertube (or new from poundshop), cut a length off and feed it around the fitting overlapping a couple of times in a (if im picturing it in my head correctly) clockwise direction then pull the free end it will grip and turn the fitting. This method also works on stubborn jars and the like.
Ringfinger03/12/2019 19:55

Thinking laterally... Oil filter adjustable wrench[Image]

nice idea
Just move the pedestal out the way for easier access
chocci04/12/2019 06:11

Just move the pedestal out the way for easier access

Are they not bolted down? As I'm struggling for space to move nuts etc, it was in the house when we bought it so unsure of how it's fastened, can barely see behind there
Douglas_Birks04/12/2019 09:49

Are they not bolted down? As I'm struggling for space to move nuts etc, it …Are they not bolted down? As I'm struggling for space to move nuts etc, it was in the house when we bought it so unsure of how it's fastened, can barely see behind there

have a feel on the rear base of the pedestal. Most pedestals arent bolted down and should pull out to allow access to the plumbing. Do not lean on the sink after removal

I normally just swivel mine out the way but the sink is still partially resting on it
chocci04/12/2019 10:21

have a feel on the rear base of the pedestal. Most pedestals arent bolted …have a feel on the rear base of the pedestal. Most pedestals arent bolted down and should pull out to allow access to the plumbing. Do not lean on the sink after removal I normally just swivel mine out the way but the sink is still partially resting on it

Ive got you, will hopefully get it looked at tonight.

Edit - And thank you 😁
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 4th Dec
If you get stuck then slip joint pliers will do the job: screwfix.com/p/s…88v
Mr_Gus03/12/2019 19:13

Plastic on copper?Hang some tissue paper around suspected suspected weep …Plastic on copper?Hang some tissue paper around suspected suspected weep points & take a look tomorrow.NB might be badly seated taps & sink splash, do they move?If you hve a " rubber belt" operated jar lever opener that will probably work, or else an adjustable wrench & some cloth to pad the plastic out with so you don't rip the plastic knurls to bits.

i think it is just brown plastic waste, aint no one gonna use 32mm copper at the price it is lol

@Op you really shouldn't be using any tools on that joint and those type of joints don't even require full hand access finger tight is sufficient, would be very easy to crack or mash the rubber washer that forms the seal, if that is where it is leaking it will be the rubber washer has perished.

toolstation.com/tra…her
Right I've found the leak, it's the part pictured are they standard size?
and what's the actual name of it as I don't want to take it off until I've got the actual part ready to replace?
39269042-1kOec.jpg
Douglas_Birks05/12/2019 18:53

Right I've found the leak, it's the part pictured are they standard size? …Right I've found the leak, it's the part pictured are they standard size? and what's the actual name of it as I don't want to take it off until I've got the actual part ready to replace?[Image]

Waste washer

These are excellent

39269695-GFuy6.jpg
screwfix.com/p/t…95r

Fitting video

Edited by: "chocci" 5th Dec
Douglas_Birks05/12/2019 18:53

Right I've found the leak, it's the part pictured are they standard size? …Right I've found the leak, it's the part pictured are they standard size? and what's the actual name of it as I don't want to take it off until I've got the actual part ready to replace?[Image]

Did you manage to remove the pedestal?
chocci05/12/2019 19:59

Did you manage to remove the pedestal?

Managed to move it enough to see where the leak was coming from. Thank you
chocci05/12/2019 19:51

Waste washer These are excellent [Image] …Waste washer These are excellent [Image] https://www.screwfix.com/p/thomas-dudley-ltd-basin-waste-seal-kit-3-piece-set/8795rFitting video[Video]

Are they all a standard size please
Douglas_Birks05/12/2019 20:09

Are they all a standard size please

In my experience, yes.

You could try Tightening existing washer

Remove waste outlet cap on sink and you should see a slotted screw which you can tighten. It may have come loose over time.
Edited by: "chocci" 6th Dec
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants