Expired

Plusnet 2704n Router a Warning - Just Say No KIds

Found 29th May 2015
Just been told I am expecting too much from my router to be able to upload to YouTube and look at webpages at the same time. I really didn't think that was too much of a fancy request. Nor have I had that problem before.

Nor did I think having DHCP that actually works, when you can't set static internal address was a fancy request.

It's the most basic beyond basic. The previous router wasn't brilliant, but at least it was moderately functional. Rarely have a seen a router replace another router which is such a huge downgrade.

Pretty much the only thing you can manage if your wifi key and a lot of information you can see without even putting in a password!

I know I could (and should) buy my own router, but it grinds me that I had to pay for this one for their technical support to prove a point to themselves.

If anyone cares, I will write a list of features that make it so much worse. But I just wanted to warn people, this thing is so awful, if you get asked to buy one or told you will sent this as a replacement for the Technicolor 582n, just say no. It's barely fit for purpose unless you only use one device.
Community Updates
MiscBroadbandRouter
58 Comments
This is the offender:

http://s7.postimg.org/t7gowjjln/JUST_SAY_NO.jpg
How fat is you pipe kitty (that's technical lingo :))

I've got a router upstairs that might be alright. I'll get the model number and you can have a look.
moneysavingkitten

This is the offender:

Is this a newer model to the one below?

[img]encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj5YoLm1seyPiJ5WVxZdC-_rx4VtPWKSy-34tALhvxBzDR3TwnoA[/img]

Our plusnet contract ended a few weeks back and I was told they would send me a new router if I were to sign a new contract.
deeky

How fat is you pipe kitty (that's technical lingo :))I've got a router … How fat is you pipe kitty (that's technical lingo :))I've got a router upstairs that might be alright. I'll get the model number and you can have a look.

Only 16mb ADSL (although it does actually work at that speed, sometimes times a litter better than that) *sniff* nothing compared to your monolithic pipe

That would be hugely appreciated, thank you
Aiden1512

Is this a newer model to the one … Is this a newer model to the one below?[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj5YoLm1seyPiJ5WVxZdC-_rx4VtPWKSy-34tALhvxBzDR3TwnoA[/img]Our plusnet contract ended a few weeks back and I was told they would send me a new router if I were to sign a new contract.

Yes, the one if your photo is the previous one I had. It was a far better router
moneysavingkitten

Yes, the one if your photo is the previous one I had. It was a far … Yes, the one if your photo is the previous one I had. It was a far better router

OK, thanks for he heads up and the reply. I shall stick to the one we already have.
Edited by: "A1512" 29th May 2015
Aiden1512

OK, thanks for he heads up and the reply. I shall stick to the one we … OK, thanks for he heads up and the reply. I shall stick to the one we already have.

I don't think you will regret it If I could have, I would have
Have you considered buying their upgrade package?

http://i59.tinypic.com/v2s213.png
dontasciime

Have you considered buying their upgrade package?

Many, many times X) I'm just waiting for the right cashback deal to come up so I can negotiate with retentions X)
"ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router – Full Specs"

[ ispreview.co.uk/ind…tml ]

Perhaps that should really be...

"ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub 2704n Zero Broadband Router – Full Specs"
Just a little advice to anyone whose contract may be coming to an end. Our contracted ended a few weeks back and after a little research we decided to switch to SSE for £12 a month for both phoneline & broadband. (£12 phone line & free broadband)

We needed a MAC code to switch so whilst contacting Plusnet to request the code they told me thy would be happy to match the broadband price of SSE if I were to sign a new contract.

There was nothing they could do about the price for the phone line which is £15.99 a month, but they matched the free broadband offer for 24 months.

Worth a try for anyone who doesn't want to switch companies but wants a cheaper bill.
Aiden1512

OK, thanks for he heads up and the reply. I shall stick to the one we … OK, thanks for he heads up and the reply. I shall stick to the one we already have.

Me too! Thanks for the heads up!
fanpages

"ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router – Full Specs"[ … "ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub Zero 2704n Broadband Router – Full Specs"[ http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/01/isp-plusnet-launch-faster-hub-zero-2704n-broadband-router-full-specs.html ]Perhaps that should really be..."ISP PlusNet Launch Faster Hub 2704n Zero Broadband Router – Full Specs"

Your version is much more accurate (as usual)
dontasciime

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137629.0.html

Things learned from that thread:

Darsh has no friends.
dontasciime

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137629.0.html

That looks pretty interesting. I will have to give it a proper read, thanks
fanpages

Things learned from that thread:Darsh has no friends.

Unless this router counts as his friend. I think that's possibly worse than having no friends though
I use that Asus N66U "Dark Knight" router with my 72mb Plusnet Fibre - works well
Edited by: "ChrisUK" 29th May 2015
moneysavingkitten

Unless this router counts as his friend. I think that's possibly worse … Unless this router counts as his friend. I think that's possibly worse than having no friends though

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/55231003.jpg
fanpages

Just the man X)

Kitty says she only has one modem/router/box thingy. Could you look at the D-link dir-615 and tell us if would serve as a standalone, complete replacement for what she has now?
fanpages

Still better than a router friend

I've just read this and unfortunately it seems I might have been correct kitty, but we'll wait for official confirmation from fp X)

pistonheads.com/gas…asp?t=1008327

The DIR-615 is a router only, whereas a lot of routers have an ADSL modem … The DIR-615 is a router only, whereas a lot of routers have an ADSL modem built-in. So, you'd either have to purchase an ADSL modem (if you can find one!) or change the router.

Edited by: "deeky" 29th May 2015
I've got one of the old type going spare if anyone wants it
moneysavingkitten

Still better than a router friend

You'll never know unless you take the plunge...

http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/02/uk-diy/bosch/B001E4EJ6Mgraphic._V151176925_.jpg
deeky

I've just read this and unfortunately it seems I might have been correct … I've just read this and unfortunately it seems I might have been correct kitty, but we'll wait for official confirmation from fp X)http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1008327

Good ol' piston heads
deeky

Kitty says she only has one modem/router/box thingy. Could you look at … Kitty says she only has one modem/router/box thingy. Could you look at the D-link dir-615 and tell us if would serve as a standalone, complete replacement for what she has now?

The DIR-615 is a router only, whereas a lot of routers have an ADSL … The DIR-615 is a router only, whereas a lot of routers have an ADSL modem built-in. So, you'd either have to purchase an ADSL modem (if you can find one!) or change the router.

Yes, your research is accurate; the D-Link DIR-615 (Wireless N 300Mbps wireless Cable Router) is just router hardware. You will also need an external (ADSL) modem if buying that.
fanpages

Yes, your research is accurate; the D-Link DIR-615 (Wireless N 300Mbps … Yes, your research is accurate; the D-Link DIR-615 (Wireless N 300Mbps wireless Cable Router) is just router hardware. You will also need an external (ADSL) modem if buying that.

Cheers fp.

Sorry kitty but post #23 if you missed it?

Or there's this? £12?

Would probably be ok for your speed now, but not much future in it for you.

Edited by: "deeky" 29th May 2015
I've still got a load of unopened adsl/2+ modem/routers. Can't seem to part with them even though I've got no use for them.

I've got some new ones that I've opened and tested for a few days, you can have one if the other offer in this thread falls through.
Aiden1512

Is this a newer model to the one … Is this a newer model to the one below?[img]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQj5YoLm1seyPiJ5WVxZdC-_rx4VtPWKSy-34tALhvxBzDR3TwnoA[/img]Our plusnet contract ended a few weeks back and I was told they would send me a new router if I were to sign a new contract.

I'm with plusnet and have that one too.At times i think its rubbish but i have a broadband only package of 10gb for £8.49 a month.
I turn it off every night ,is it better to leave it on all the time or what?
dontasciime

I've still got a load of unopened adsl/2+ modem/routers. Can't seem to … I've still got a load of unopened adsl/2+ modem/routers. Can't seem to part with them even though I've got no use for them.I've got some new ones that I've opened and tested for a few days, you can have one if the other offer in this thread falls through.

I had a clear out of all my extraneous hardware of this type a few weeks ago. I binned six routers; three of which were ADSL modem routers & one of them was an ISDN2e router that I have kept for almost twenty years for no apparent reason other than I am also a moneysavingmagpie

This weekend I may clear out my ancient modem collection.

Is there no start to my fun?
thebaron69

I'm with plusnet and have that one too.At times i think its rubbish but i … I'm with plusnet and have that one too.At times i think its rubbish but i have a broadband only package of 10gb for £8.49 a month.I turn it off every night ,is it better to leave it on all the time or what?

Hhmm, I'm not sure tbh, I don't think it makes a difference does it?

Ours is on all the time, we've never had any problems.
Edited by: "A1512" 29th May 2015
fanpages

I had a clear out of all my extraneous hardware of this type a few weeks … I had a clear out of all my extraneous hardware of this type a few weeks ago. I binned six routers; three of which were ADSL modem routers & one of them was an ISDN2e router that I have kept for almost twenty years for no apparent reason other than I am also a moneysavingmagpie :)This weekend I may clear out my ancient modem collection.Is there no start to my fun?

I'd need a skip for all my old hardware. The wife refuses to pay for one, so she's staying for now.

Aiden1512

That looks identical to the ones Tesco use, I persevered with their service for 2 years as it was the cheapest but constant network dropoffs (tescos normal resolution was to send a new router - I have 3 of them they havent asked for back still) caused me to switch to EE.

I was thinking of switching to plusnet come contract change but this just puts me off.

Edited by: "WiggyDiggyPoo" 29th May 2015
thebaron69

I'm with plusnet and have that one too.At times i think its rubbish but i … I'm with plusnet and have that one too.At times i think its rubbish but i have a broadband only package of 10gb for £8.49 a month.I turn it off every night ,is it better to leave it on all the time or what?

The trouble with switching off router/modem hardware is that if the Internet Service Provider checks the speed of the line periodically, & finds your hardware is not responding, it may step-down (i.e. slow down) the speed of the line to see if a connection can then be made.

During this step-down process, if you power-up your hardware, the other "end" may then find a connection & retain at a slower speed than your equipment/line can handle. You will then effectively be using a fraction of the speed available.

Some hardware generates a lot of heat in use, & it is also a good idea not to leave the equipment powered-up constantly but reboot occasionally; sometimes this is a necessity.

Additionally, & I know this is not applicable in your case, some services (like BT Infinity) actively share the connection with anybody that has a BT Infinity account so that there is a virtual network around the country that can be used for portable/handheld equipment.

You may feel 'safer' disabling access to your Internet connection when you are not using it (overnight, or when you are on holiday; although this in itself may be an indication to a would-be thief that your property is vacant).

All this aside, if you wish to power-down your hardware overnight, check the speed of connection (if the router supports this facility, or) with SpeedTest.net (or a similar service) when you are next actively using the service.

If you find slower response times, you may then wish to power-cycle the hardware again to try to catch the step-down process re-checking for the faster speed the line can support.

[ hotukdeals.com/mis…846 ]
dontasciime

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/whatsBTFon.do

Yes; that is what I was referring to above.
fanpages

Yes; that is what I was referring to above.

It's also defaulted to enabled, opted in, after 2009, sly btrds.
dontasciime

It's also defaulted to enabled, opted in, after 2009, sly btrds.

It is very easy to disable though.
fanpages

It is very easy to disable though.

I've had to disable it on a few customers HH

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12958/~/how-do-i-opt-out-of-bt-wi-fi%3F

Edited by: "dontasciime" 29th May 2015

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants