Expired

Plusnet cancelling nightmare.........

Found 22nd Jun 2012
So i signed up with plusnet on a 12 months contract. I was aware of the cancelling process once the 12 months is up.

I sent them a cancellation letter 4 days before my 12 month contract was up to say thank you but i will not renew the contract and cancelled the direct debit dead on the day the contract expired. I disconnected the modem and phone line and signed up with virgin media.

2 months later, i keep getting letters. Demanding 2 months payment and a £25 cancellation fee. They said they received no letter from me.

1. How can they charge a cancellation fee AFTER the agreed contract
2. How can they charge me for a service ive already cancelled. They can see im not using it.

Where do i stand on this? anyone know? anyone had experience with cancelling plusnet broadband? where do i stand if i dont pay for 2 months service i didnt use? emailing them through there support part of there website gets me nowhere, there demanding another cancellation letter and will not accept me asking for a cancellation any other way.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
52 Comments

If its in their terms and conditions about cancellation fee you will have to pay it, many hide it in their to try and stop you leaving.

If you havent got proof they recieved your letter to cancel you will have to pay up, if you dont id imagine they will set a debt collector on you and wont give you a mac code. Its all one whether u have used it or not as the line will still be enabled and they will be having to pay BT Wholesale for that
Edited by: "jase.2" 22nd Jun 2012

Did you get confirmation of the cancellation at the time?

The logical thing to have done is obviously wait for one service to be cancelled before ordering a new one.

However - as they have now going to action a cancellation, they should not charge you any cancellation fee as your out of contract. Have you got a proof of postage for the letter?

You need to speak to them and find out whats gone wrong, obviously you sent notice to cancel the contact (most companies need 30 days notice - so you may need to pay for one month of service). You should always seek confirmation of a cancelled service before cancelling a direct debit.
Edited by: "Bryan839" 22nd Jun 2012

Banned

1, have you sent the letter recorded delivery?
2, not sure how is it with equipment, don't you have to return the modem etc?
3, read your contract, it will have all the details, if you followed the cancellation to the letter, they can demand whatever and you can just bin the letters and laugh at their requests.

Original Poster

Bit of a scam isnt it. You sign up for a 12 month contract agreement and they can still hold you to it after the 12 months!!!

The 'cancellation' fee will probably be a 'cease' fee which you will have to pay because you have cancelled rather than migrated away

Bryan839

Did you get confirmation of the cancellation at the time?The logical … Did you get confirmation of the cancellation at the time?The logical thing to have done is obviously wait for one service to be cancelled before ordering a new one.However - as they have now actioned the cancellation, they should not charge you any cancellation fee as your out of contract. Have you still got the email you sent to them? You need to speak to them and find out whats gone wrong, obviously you sent notice to cancel the contact (most companies need 30 days notice - so you may need to pay for one month of service), as its their error they may write the dept off, but you should always seek conformation of a cancelled service before cancelling a direct debit.

They can charge the cancellation fee out of contract if they like as long as its in the terms and conditions of service

It could be Royal Mail's error not Plusnet's if they didnt recieve the letter, id always have sent it recorded

I hope you sent it recorded Your text here

By post to: Plusnet, The Balance, 2 Pinfold St. Sheffield, S1 2GU. It is … By post to: Plusnet, The Balance, 2 Pinfold St. Sheffield, S1 2GU. It is recommended that for customers' own peace of mind, any letter containing a cancellation request is sent by recorded delivery. We cannot accept responsibility for lost letters not sent in this way. The letter must state the account username, and if appropriate any final payments due should be included.4. Notice Periods and Scheduling of Cancellations We require notice in order to close any account. The notice period is 10 days for Residential accounts and 30 days for Business accounts. When a cancellation (as opposed to a MAC Key) is requested, we will schedule this to take place at the end of the notice period. Due to limitations of our supplier's systems, if this date falls on a weekend, a broadband line cancellation will be scheduled for the next working day. The notice period starts from the time we receive the cancellation request. If the cancellation request is withdrawn for any reason during the notice period, a new request needs to be made and a new notice period will commence. It is possible to specify a cancellation date after the notice period. In this case, a one-off payment will be taken at the time the account is scheduled for cancellation. This payment will include all subscription charges up until the end of the requested period and no further subscription charges will be made. If requested, we can close an account sooner than the notice period. In this event any payments due up until the end of the notice period will be required as a final one-off payment before the account closure can be scheduled. Because we need to order the broadband line cancellations with our own suppliers we always require at least 5 working days notice.

Edited by: "vbnmu" 22nd Jun 2012

jase.2

They can charge the cancellation fee out of contract if they like as long … They can charge the cancellation fee out of contract if they like as long as its in the terms and conditions of service It could be Royal Mail's error not Plusnet's if they didnt recieve the letter, id always have sent it recorded

Your correct, its in their terms and conditions.

What's a Cessation Charge?

It's a charge applied by BT Wholesale (the suppliers of our broadband network) to cover the cost of the work required to remove broadband from a telephone line. Residential: £25.00 (inc VAT)

Generally, the main reasons for broadband ceases are:

A broadband account is cancelled (without switching providers)
Switching providers without a MAC Key - (LLU migrations excluded)
The telephone line used to provide broadband is cut off
Cessation Charges don't apply when using a MAC Key to switch providers (this is called a migration), as a broadband cease is not required.

Original Poster

Plusnet terms state only the following:

If you leave within 12 months, you may be liable to pay charges relating to the set-up of your service and for hardware we have provided.

J4GG4

Plusnet terms state only the following: If you leave within 12 months, … Plusnet terms state only the following: If you leave within 12 months, you may be liable to pay charges relating to the set-up of your service and for hardware we have provided.

You're missing the point J4GG4, the £25 fee is a cessation charge which all ISP's have to pay to BT if you cancel a service rather than migrate away.

Original Poster

steadyeddie

You're missing the point J4GG4, the £25 fee is a cessation charge which … You're missing the point J4GG4, the £25 fee is a cessation charge which all ISP's have to pay to BT if you cancel a service rather than migrate away.

Yes i see, kinda hit me just then. Never heard anything like this before. Damn BT.

I'm afraid it's not BT's fault, it's yours, let me try and explain it in laymans terms.
If you decide to move from one broadband provider to another this is called a migration, you request a MAC key which you give to your new provider which allows them to take over the broadband service and there are no charges involved.
If you dont ask for a MAC key and just ask to 'cancel' the service then this is called a cease for which BT charge £25, Plusnet pass this charge onto you.

Original Poster

steadyeddie

I'm afraid it's not BT's fault, it's yours, let me try and explain it in … I'm afraid it's not BT's fault, it's yours, let me try and explain it in laymans terms.If you decide to move from one broadband provider to another this is called a migration, you request a MAC key which you give to your new provider which allows them to take over the broadband service and there are no charges involved.If you dont ask for a MAC key and just ask to 'cancel' the service then this is called a cease for which BT charge £25, Plusnet pass this charge onto you.

Knowing about a mac or cancellation after your contracted period cannot be my fault. This is the first time i've had ADSL and a landline. ADSL and a landline with BT has been a costly mistake. I initially went with O2 for 20 days to find many problems so cancelled. They charged me £40 odd quid for BT to come and disconnect my landline. Plusnet terms did not state there would be a cancellation charge AFTER my 12 month contract. May i add the £25 charge there charging me is a CANCELLATION charge and not a cessation charge as mentioned on the letter they sent.

Virgin media on the other hand are a dream to do business with. Ive cancelled with them twice in the past randomly and no question, no charges, no nothing.

Virgin media on the other hand are a dream to do business with. Ive cancelled with them twice in the past randomly and no question, no charges, no nothing.

BAHHHHHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA please comment on here in 6 months time if this is still the case

plusnet will look like royalty after you have been with virgin and get a problem

@J4GG4,

The £25 will be the cessation fee as alluded to by others. If you've been charged outside of your contract for a period of time after the service was disconnected then I'll happily write those charges off.

You'd need to provide me with your old account username though or a recent support ticket reference from the account.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care

Edited by: "bobpullen" 25th Jun 2012

I've been trying for weeks to cancel my plusnet account. I've stayed on hold on the phone line for over half an hour with no response. I've emailed but apparently that isn't good enough. I'm going to have to send a letter how but they will probably then claim nt to have received it. What a scam. If you don't need to send a letter to sign up then why do you have to send one to cancel? I'll be leaving negative feedback all over the net.i didn't have this problem with O2.

I had the same problem with talkmobile with a phone contract. Rang and cancelled but they took another months money so i cancelled direct debit. They would give me the money back and made me pay another months money as they say they didnt receive the letter and need 4 weeks notice to cancel. Seems a common scam on contracts

I was with plusnet for more than two years now after moving from talk talk, the second company was very bad in terms of broadband connection and customer services. The first year with plusnet was fine I singed on the month by month with no contract involved soon the broadband connection started to go down hill and off most of the time very slow I made the technical support aware of the problem several times but got nowhere but they were happy taking a monthly fee from my direct debit every time I phone they kept me waiting for at least an hour and a half and when they speak to me they just say two words and keep me waiting more I got fed up with services so I asked my brother who is an network programer and worked for one of the major internet providers to look at it after testing everything he told me that the internet speed plusnet providing is so slow to the point you can't even open a browser plusnet use aggressive advertising to get its message they are not interested in providing honest good broadband services as they claim in their TV ads they just want to sign as many people as possible and get their share of the broadband and phone market they are part of BT which is doing very badly at the present not like the BT we use to know the fact is they too slow to change and invest in a new technologies and competitive prices . Plusnet sign you a contract on the phone they don't send any confirmation by post so why they ask customers to write a letter to cancel customers should be able to cancel by phone also without having to be bullied by plusnet saying we didn't receive your cancellation letter the tactics they using will back fire and soon they be exposed this a link from the guardian guardian.co.uk/mon…lls
read it and see the way plusnet treats customers also you can write to the guardian consumer.champions@guardian.co.uk tell them your story and get in touch with ofcom if you don't get a fair deal. if plustnet care about their customers and want them to stay they must stop using bullying tactics stop asking customer to put cancellation in writing and calming they didn't receive it this hypocrisy they sign customers on the phone at the start of the contract but when a customer want to leave they want it in writing . I left plusnet now and would not recommend them to anyone don't be deceived by their flashy ads and aggressive marking all their interested in is your monthly payment after all to them you're just another number.

i signed up on 22/1/13 took til 13/2/13 to get broadband and then it was cancelled by plusnet by mistake on 3/3/13 so im now without broadband which they say needs an engineer to put back on. ive asked to cancel and now they want £160 for me to cancel what a joke service.

worst mistake ive made service wise choosing plusnet over virgin

I've been having a similar situation where plusnet are being really annoying.
My broadband was suspended by plusnet in December 2012 as I was away on holiday and had stopped all my direct debits.On my return I paid the outstanding amount and asked for my service to be reinstated. i was told it would be activated within 24 hrs. This did not happen and as I wasn't using internet at home, I wasn't too bothered. However, even though the service was stopped, they continued to charge me for Jan & Feb. At this point I'd like to point out that I only had a 30 day rolling contract. I contacted them in January to advise I had no service and again i was told it would be activated within 24 hrs. I should have just cancelled there and than but I gave them the benefit of doubt. In February I decided to switch suppliers as the service was still inactive and I cancelled by direct debit. They are now chasing me for the service fee for February. What a cheek, since there was no service, there should be no charge. I have complained about this and guess what, they cancelled my online account. This meant i couldn't argue my case as you can only contact them via the member portal. How ironic.

I have now been going back and forth arguing with employees who do not understand their own t&c's. My online account was reinstated after i sent a very annoyed complaint. And to no surprise, they have said although there was no service provided, i still have to pay the line rental. I already pay my line rental to BT, so where this has come from is beyond me. I would definitely NOT recommend plusnet to anyone. all they want is your money and the customer service is very poor.

If anyone from plusnet is on here, my username was 'zamirh29'. You will be able to verify everything i have said is true.

Hi there,

Zamirh29

If anyone from plusnet is on here, my username was 'zamirh29'. You will … If anyone from plusnet is on here, my username was 'zamirh29'. You will be able to verify everything i have said is true.

Thanks. I agree some of your enquiries weren't dealt with to the best of our ability. Having said that, I can kind of see both sides of the argument here. I've just bounced your support ticket back to you with a compromise. Hopefully it'll allow us to lay things to rest.

Sorry we let you down.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care.

Hi there,

chubbychubbs

I was with plusnet for more than two years now after moving from talk … I was with plusnet for more than two years now after moving from talk talk, the second company was very bad in terms of broadband connection and customer services. The first year with plusnet was fine I singed on the month by month with no contract involved soon the broadband connection started to go down hill and off most of the time very slow I made the technical support aware of the problem several times but got nowhere but they were happy taking a monthly fee from my direct debit every time I phone they kept me waiting for at least an hour and a half and when they speak to me they just say two words and keep me waiting more I got fed up with services so I asked my brother who is an network programer and worked for one of the major internet providers to look at it after testing everything he told me that the internet speed plusnet providing is so slow to the point you can't even open a browser plusnet use aggressive advertising to get its message they are not interested in providing honest good broadband services as they claim in their TV ads they just want to sign as many people as possible and get their share of the broadband and phone market they are part of BT which is doing very badly at the present not like the BT we use to know the fact is they too slow to change and invest in a new technologies and competitive prices . Plusnet sign you a contract on the phone they don't send any confirmation by post so why they ask customers to write a letter to cancel customers should be able to cancel by phone also without having to be bullied by plusnet saying we didn't receive your cancellation letter the tactics they using will back fire and soon they be exposed this a link from the guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/feb/05/plusnet-phone-calls read it and see the way plusnet treats customers also you can write to the guardian consumer.champions@guardian.co.uk tell them your story and get in touch with ofcom if you don't get a fair deal. if plustnet care about their customers and want them to stay they must stop using bullying tactics stop asking customer to put cancellation in writing and calming they didn't receive it this hypocrisy they sign customers on the phone at the start of the contract but when a customer want to leave they want it in writing . I left plusnet now and would not recommend them to anyone don't be deceived by their flashy ads and aggressive marking all their interested in is your monthly payment after all to them you're just another number.

Hi there,

We do send literature out in the post these days when a customer signs up and you *can* call us to cancel, you don't have to write (although admittedly we may be busy on occasion). More details over on our website.

Bit confused by the Guardian article you've linked to (which I remember by the way), because it isn't really related to your experience. It's about a blanket pricing change that we introduced years back.

We *do* care about our customers and we try our best to help. This should be evident if you take a look at our Twitter feed, Discussion forums and many other places where customes have a tendancy to complain.

I'm sorry we let you down though and wish you all the best with your new ISP.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care.

Hi there,

macboy81

i signed up on 22/1/13 took til 13/2/13 to get broadband and then it was … i signed up on 22/1/13 took til 13/2/13 to get broadband and then it was cancelled by plusnet by mistake on 3/3/13 so im now without broadband which they say needs an engineer to put back on. ive asked to cancel and now they want £160 for me to cancel what a joke service.

Sorry to hear that. I'll happily take a look and see if there's anything I can do to help if you don't mind providing me with your account username or a recent support ticket reference from your account?

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care.

chubbychubbs

I left plusnet now and would not recommend them to anyone don't be … I left plusnet now and would not recommend them to anyone don't be deceived by their flashy ads and aggressive marking all their interested in is your monthly payment after all to them you're just another number.

Hi there,

We do send literature out in the post these days when a customer signs up and you *can* call us to cancel, you don't have to write (although admittedly we may be busy on occasion). More details over on our website.

Bit confused by the Guardian article you've linked to (which I remember by the way), because it isn't really related to your experience. It's about a blanket pricing change that we introduced years back.

We *do* care about our customers and we try our best to help. This should be evident if you take a look at our Twitter feed, Discussion forums and many other places where customes have a tendancy to complain.

I'm sorry we let you down though and wish you all the best with your new ISP.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care.

bobpullen

Hi there,Thanks. I agree some of your enquiries weren't dealt with to the … Hi there,Thanks. I agree some of your enquiries weren't dealt with to the best of our ability. Having said that, I can kind of see both sides of the argument here. I've just bounced your support ticket back to you with a compromise. Hopefully it'll allow us to lay things to rest.Sorry we let you down.Best regards,Bob PullenPlusnet Digital Care.

Hi Bob,

I've sent you a response via the members portal but no response yet.

regards
Zamir

Unusual this, large company actually checking HUKD and responding.

Dont switch banks if your a plusnet user. They ignore the banks instructions(the only one out of 11 direct debits)then they take ages after you manually update the direct debit instructions and in the meantime restrict your sevices and charge you for the pleasure. Absolute common thieves. They do not care for your custom. If you join plusnet forum and highlight your concerns they steel your identity and start threads in your name,in a cocky attempt to hoodwink the people. Search negnet on plusnet forum.
All in all you must be a sucker for punishment if you join plusnet. You may as well hang around with pickpockets.

honestkev

Dont switch banks if your a plusnet user. They ignore the banks … Dont switch banks if your a plusnet user. They ignore the banks instructions(the only one out of 11 direct debits)then they take ages after you manually update the direct debit instructions and in the meantime restrict your sevices and charge you for the pleasure. Absolute common thieves. They do not care for your custom. If you join plusnet forum and highlight your concerns they steel your identity and start threads in your name,in a cocky attempt to hoodwink the people. Search negnet on plusnet forum. All in all you must be a sucker for punishment if you join plusnet. You may as well hang around with pickpockets.

Hi honestkev,

Sorry to hear you're so dissatisfied, I've taken a look over at our community forums and can see we've offered to refund the driecet debit fee.

Nobody has tried to be you on our forums, we have moderators who man our forums, these are Plusnet customer, they have split your thread from the original one you commented in so your post got picked up.

Happy to help if I can, just let me know.

Kind Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Digital Care Team

Now plusnet are charging me 5.95 for plusnet rrstricting my phoneline. Brilliant thievery.

Plusnet openened a thread in my name,i.d theft. They accused me of spamming lol who am i spamming for? Everything i have wrote is true. Are you calling me a liar?
You thieve off good honest customers. Plusnet are arrogant thieves. How dare you restrict phonelines and bb then charge 6 pound for your own incompetances. Is there something archaic with your systems?Do your systems run on steam?Why should the customer pay for your mistakes? Search negnet on plusnet forums then you will see how they hoodwink honest forum users.
Common sense says you should not upset your customers however plusnets deceit and arrogance overcomes customer service. We the customers should have known"good honest bb" is what a conman would tell you. You live and learn.

honestkev

Now plusnet are charging me 5.95 for plusnet rrstricting my phoneline. … Now plusnet are charging me 5.95 for plusnet rrstricting my phoneline. Brilliant thievery. Plusnet openened a thread in my name,i.d theft. They accused me of spamming lol who am i spamming for? Everything i have wrote is true. Are you calling me a liar?You thieve off good honest customers. Plusnet are arrogant thieves. How dare you restrict phonelines and bb then charge 6 pound for your own incompetances. Is there something archaic with your systems?Do your systems run on steam?Why should the customer pay for your mistakes? Search negnet on plusnet forums then you will see how they hoodwink honest forum users. Common sense says you should not upset your customers however plusnets deceit and arrogance overcomes customer service. We the customers should have known"good honest bb" is what a conman would tell you. You live and learn.

I'm happy to take a closer look at this for you.

I've updated your ticket on the account regarding the charge you're referring to.

As I mentioned with the forums, no Plusnet employees modify or post on anyone's behalf, the forum is patrolled by a group of moderators who are Plusnet customers, if you think something is amiss then I'd suggest flagging this up on your thread - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,123364.msg1070854.html#msg1070854

Kind Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Digital Care Team

Thankyou Chris,i see you have sorted this issue out for me. I am sorry that it took resorting to commenting on consumer websites. A little common sense in the customer care department wouldnt have gone a miss. Thankyou again for getting involved and i am reasonably satisfied at the result. It was not the money it was the principle. Thanks

honestkev

Thankyou Chris,i see you have sorted this issue out for me. I am sorry … Thankyou Chris,i see you have sorted this issue out for me. I am sorry that it took resorting to commenting on consumer websites. A little common sense in the customer care department wouldnt have gone a miss. Thankyou again for getting involved and i am reasonably satisfied at the result. It was not the money it was the principle. Thanks

Any danger of you actually apologising for the rant and libelous comments you made? oO

Reasonably satisfied???

Customer accuses company of being liars and thieves.

Nice friendly and polite customer services employee tries to solve customers issue.

Customer makes further rants and libelous accusations.

Customer service employee remains calm and polite in the face of a tirade of abuse and resolves the situation, and the customer is only reasonably satisfied!

Perhaps if you changed your manner, you may find you get a better success rate in dealing with issues.

Luckily for you on this occasion you had someone thick skinned and professional dealing with your "complaint"

On their and other arrogant obnoxious customer's behalf, I thank you Chris for being so patient, polite and professional. You sir are doing a fantastic job

mrs purvey(wife of plusnet employee)

Any danger of you actually apologising for the rant and libelous comments … Any danger of you actually apologising for the rant and libelous comments you made? oOReasonably satisfied???Customer accuses company of being liars and thieves.Nice friendly and polite customer services employee tries to solve customers issue.Customer makes further rants and libelous accusations.Customer service employee remains calm and polite in the face of a tirade of abuse and resolves the situation, and the customer is only reasonably satisfied!Perhaps if you changed your manner, you may find you get a better success rate in dealing with issues.Luckily for you on this occasion you had someone thick skinned and professional dealing with your "complaint"On their and other arrogant obnoxious customer's behalf, I thank you Chris for being so patient, polite and professional. You sir are doing a fantastic job

X)

I dont understand those last 2 comments, we was nice the first few times we rang up. We was polite and courteous. We informed plusnet of the need for an active phoneline because of the illness of a close relative.
We were literally ignored. Plusnet was restricting and charging us regardless of what we the customer had to say.
Well plusnet has promised to refund the 6 pound charge whoopie doo. Are we supposed to just accept bad service?

I have not ranted at chris i have ranted at plusnet. And if plusnet are not thieves then why has it took all this to get anywhere near getting my money back? How many other customers stay quiet and just pay?

The customer is always right,even more so in the age of the internet.
So yes im only reasonably happy because they have given me back what thry tried to steel. What about the money i lost when my services were restricted,i.e phone top ups,lost buisness and stress?
It seems the trolls are out in force.

I've been with this awful company for 2 and half years when I changed to BT - and they hit me ith £30 + an extra month!

So i signed up with plusnet on a 12 months contract. I was aware of the cancelling process once the 12 months is up.
I sent them a cancellation letter 4 days before my 12 month contract was up to say thank you but i will not renew the contract and cancelled the direct debit dead on the day the contract expired. I disconnected the modem and phone line and signed up with virgin media.
2 months later, i keep getting letters. Demanding 2 months payment and a £25 cancellation fee. They said they received no letter from me.
2. How can they charge me for a service ive already cancelled. They can see im not using it.
Where do i stand on this? anyone know? anyone had experience with cancelling plusnet broadband? where do i stand if i dont pay for 2 months service i didnt use? emailing them through there support part of there website gets me nowhere, there demanding another cancellation letter and will not accept me asking for a cancellation any other way.
[/quote]

Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time with 14 days' notice, either by notifying us directly or, where you are switching provider through a recognised migration process, we will accept that provider's order notification as notice. We will accept notice from you via phone or in writing. We can stop providing the service by giving you 10 days' written notice.

It is so easy if you follow the rules. You wrote 4 days before not 14, also i bet you did not do it recorded or at least get a proof of postage. You would have been charged a cancellation fee because you cancelled the direct debit whilst the contract was still ongoing. Just because you disconnected your router the service is still available for you to use. It really does my head in how careless people are when it comes to things like this

Hi Mcphun

- If broadband is being removed from the line, rather than migrated to another provider using the MAC transfer process we are charged at a wholesale level for this. The £30 cessation fee is this charge passed on.

- If you cancelled the service then we shouldn't be charging you. To confirm we accept cancellation requests over the phone or by letter, emails for cancellations aren't accepted.

Chris

newbie1001

Once we have provided the service, you may tell us to stop providing it at any time with 14 days' notice, either by notifying us directly or, where you are switching provider through a recognised migration process, we will accept that provider's order notification as notice. We will accept notice from you via phone or in writing. We can stop providing the service by giving you 10 days' written notice.It is so easy if you follow the rules. You wrote 4 days before not 14, also i bet you did not do it recorded or at least get a proof of postage. You would have been charged a cancellation fee because you cancelled the direct debit whilst the contract was still ongoing. Just because you disconnected your router the service is still available for you to use. It really does my head in how careless people are when it comes to things like this

@newbie1001

I'm not sure where that quote is from, as our T&Cs have the following in them:

Important - your right to cancel. You can cancel your agreement within 14 days of sign-up and only pay for the services you have used, except Plusnet Protect or BT Sport which you must keep for at least 30 days. If the service you sign up for is an additional feature, a re-contract and/or upgrade, upon cancelling the service we may revert you to your previous contract or the closest matching service.

steadyeddie

I'm afraid it's not BT's fault, it's yours, let me try and explain it in … I'm afraid it's not BT's fault, it's yours, let me try and explain it in laymans terms.If you decide to move from one broadband provider to another this is called a migration, you request a MAC key which you give to your new provider which allows them to take over the broadband service and there are no charges involved.If you dont ask for a MAC key and just ask to 'cancel' the service then this is called a cease for which BT charge £25, Plusnet pass this charge onto you.

What if, like my mum, you have to go into a care home? She has no need for any further internet service, so I cancelled. Now we've been charged £30!!! Outrageous!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions