Plusnet Increasing Broadband/Fibre Prices by £1 a Month - Opportunity to cancel mid-contract and get a better deal elsewhere. (Read for further information.)

Found 4th Apr
Just received an email from Plusnet advising my broadband is going by £1 a month from the 5th June, they claim you will get some new landline features, but I will not use these.

Below is a link detailing everything....
PLUSNET PRICE AND PRODUCT CHANGE FAQ

This is not really a deal, but more just to make people aware who are affected by the Plusnet price rise (you should have had or are getting an email shortly), that this automatically invokes a clause created by Ofcom to allow you to cancel mid-contract with Plusnet with no penalty!

Usually you have to notify the broadband provider within 30 days of receiving the notification of the price rise of your intention to cancel, otherwise your contract will continue as normal after the 30 day notification period, and you are tied in for the agreed period and have to pay the new increased price.

If you have recently joined Plusnet the price rise might not effect you and might be some other exceptions too, in these cases you will be unable to cancel without penalty.

While the £1 price rise is negligible, it will mean I am paying £26.99 a month for 38mb fibre broadband and basic phone package, and have just realised there are some cracking deals about allowing you to save quite a bit.

For example the below Now TV broadband deal (posted by another HUKD member), offering basic 17mb broadband for £15 a month and 38mb fibre broadband for £20 a month with a 12 month contract and a one off £9.99 connection fee.
Also with the opportunity of £60-70 cashback from quidco, saving you in total around £120.

Now Brilliant Broadband 12 month Standard Contract (£15 per month + £9.99 one off fee) £60 possible cashback at topcashback or Quidco) @ Now Broadband
(I think they are owned by Sky, so should receive a similar service to Sky customers, if you have used them in the past.)

Vodafone are also offer 38mb broadband for £21 a month on an 18 month contract:
vodafone.co.uk/bro…htm

I know there are some Plusnet fans on here and will rave about their customer service, however I have found them no better or worse than any other provider.

Just bear in mind if you are a Plusnet mobile user, you might not get the same mobile deal, if you cancel your broadband with them. As some of their tariffs on their mobile network are exclusive to broadband users.
Community Updates
21 Comments
What are the new landline features?.
i was direct save check em out then i went to vodafone my take and my wifes horrendous service at all levels final note was contacting the vodafone ceo any way went back to direct save very happy and they will do a deal over the phone
Would PlusNet be open to negotiation on the price when they find out that you can leave? Surely they would?
Original Poster
ScubaDudes10 m ago

What are the new landline features?.

"
What changes are being made to call features?

Good news, Caller Display, a feature which manages nuisance calls for you, is becoming free of charge from 5th June 2018."

plus.net/hom…03a
Original Poster
fr0d07 m ago

Would PlusNet be open to negotiation on the price when they find out that …Would PlusNet be open to negotiation on the price when they find out that you can leave? Surely they would?

Possibly, but highly doubt they would match the Now TV price, when you take into account cashback from Quidco.
supermod
Moved to MISC as a heads up / info post , thanks @g-diddy
May not be as simple as it sounds to cancel. Broadband is going up but not phone. An ISP needs a phone line to deliver the Broadband. Be wary of clambering in without thinking this through. I bought a good deal for a year with cash back and 5 months of a £1 increase isn't going to make me move. But there are some apparently good deals out there for those out of contract.
Has anyone done this yet and got confirmation that it is definitely penalty free to leave? Seeing mixed messages online.

We are on plusnet fibre 56 + unlimited calls anytime.
From my understanding, they can't increase the price of your mobile tariff if you're leaving as a result of the broadband price increase. I think OFCOM ruled that no other factors should be allowed to influence people leaving their contracts if it's due to a price rise.
Original Poster
Sorry I thought it stated in the FAQ's link I posted...

I have taken a screen shot of part of the email and attached below, when you scroll to the bottom under the "What to do next" section:

33574985-znaeg.jpg

=If, as a result of the changes in this email, you decided to terminate your affected service(s), you may do so without incurring any early termination charges that may otherwise be payable. If you wish to exercise this right you must contact us within 30 days of receiving this notification and give us 14 days’ notice. You will still be liable for service charges up to the date of termination.
Yay just got the email, the worst mistake ever joining these.
g-diddy4th Apr

"What changes are being made to call features?Good news, Caller Display, a …"What changes are being made to call features?Good news, Caller Display, a feature which manages nuisance calls for you, is becoming free of charge from 5th June 2018."https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/2018-pricing-changes-existing?callwinid=47868&WT.mc_id=aff_003a

Ofcom has announced that from 1st October 2018, providers will not be allowed to charge for caller display.
There's no problem leaving broadband BUT they won't release your land line contract....and you will need to cough up.
They don't see it 1 contract but as 2 contracts 1 for broadband and 1 for the landline...why don't they get rid of mid term hikes.
Original Poster
Well I have just given my notice and leaving, no charges what so ever., and no issues when I called...

Only cost is 30 days broadband/phone line rental which is the notice you have to give. So for example if my new Now TV broadband contract kicks in before the 30 day notice has ended I just have to pay for that whole period.
I rang them today.
I can leave for free. But I will pay £0.01p more a month as caller I’d will be free when price goes up saving me £0.99p.
Ive paid line rental upfront and don’t think they will give it back. I don’t know.
I’ve paid line rental upfront too. Would be good to hear if that’s refunded.
g-diddy6th Apr

Well I have just given my notice and leaving, no charges what so ever., …Well I have just given my notice and leaving, no charges what so ever., and no issues when I called...Only cost is 30 days broadband/phone line rental which is the notice you have to give. So for example if my new Now TV broadband contract kicks in before the 30 day notice has ended I just have to pay for that whole period.

Interesting because I just received the email and it says you only need to give them 14 days notice, within 30 days of receiving the email. I'll query it when I call.
It too a bit of extraction but I was told I'd be charged 14 more days which is about the same time it would take to switch. They also said they'd remove my discounts (presumably with immediate effect) so I'll loose my free broadband from today I suppose. Wasn't expecting that but I'm going anyway...
I'm wanting to leave but they're pushing a £30 fee on me, 'cease fee'...is this fair? It doesn't seem fair that they'd penalise you for leaving (under your statutory right) due to a mid-term increase...
Hey guys. I’ve just cancelled myself after receiving the same email but I’ve just had another email through confirming my new contract? Has anyone else received the same email? TIA
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants