Plusnet router replacement?

Found 2nd Jun
Hi Everyone, I've searched the discussion forums, and this seems to have been asked 2-3 years ago, and that's a long time in tech! Basically, I'm looking for a cheapish all in one router/modem thingy to replace my plusnet provided crap heap. I get an especially poor signal in the corners of my modest 3 bed semi, and I get plenty of unexpected drop outs too, even when only a few meters away from the thing. I need a device that gives a stronger more consistent signal?

I have managed to change the channel to avoid interference with the neighbours, however this has improved but not sorted my problems..

I'm on 38mb Fibre. I guess around £100, but that can be flexible if there is something a little more that is super duper special, or can I spend a lot less and get something that is night and day different?? I don't want to spend any more than I have to. I'm a bit green here. Advice appreciated!
Community Updates
AskComputers
14 Comments
Use a BT Home Hub 6. I am using one right now. Change the user and password to your plusnet account details

The best plusnet hub is the previous BT Home Hub 5 (rebadged) and it sucks big time

I believe its £50 on eScam.
Edited by: "ccnp" 2nd Jun
I've got a bt hub 5a (same hardware as plusnet hub one) and a bt smart hub 6, and I find the wifi on the hub5 more reliable of the two. I put openwrt on mine so I could use it on sky/nowtv.
Glad to see your post op. I'm also on plusnet and I've been complaining to them about dropped signal, their answer is that the trace from their end shows no signal. I've also changed channel but signal still drops on WiFi. It's also dropping on the powerline adapters (which made me think it was a line issue and not indoors). So Methinks is fine to get a try different router.
Incidentally, I don't mean glad you have problems - just that you've answered some of my questions.
I was with BT for 12 months, best internet I've ever had. Moved to plusnet and got the worst internet I've ever had. Yet BT owns plusnet. Lmao.
Edited by: "Darzen" 3rd Jun
Got the net gear ac1750, great bit of kit!
Perhaps switch to BT and get a free hub from them?
deleted1597344
Don’t use the junk BT supply!
Thanks everyone for the replies!

So I've got recommendations of a BT home Hub 6:

amazon.co.uk/Sma…b+6

This says 'locked to BT' does this mean BT only, or it will be fine on BT owned plusnet?

Would the AC1900 be an even better bet than the AC1750 as it's cheaper on amazon at the mo?

amazon.co.uk/NET…h=1

Would this work with Plusnet?

You can pick up a used hub 6 with a PSU for about £20 on ebay :- ebay.co.uk/itm…180

I don't think it is worth paying much more than that as you'd have to replace it again if you choose a non-bt isp.

If your current router is the plusnet hub one, then try enabling the "use separate bands" in advanced wifi setting to separate the 2.4 ghz and 5ghz wifi settings.
Edited by: "melted" 3rd Jun
deleted1597344
Plumbboy553 h, 42 m ago

Thanks everyone for the replies!So I've got recommendations of a BT home …Thanks everyone for the replies!So I've got recommendations of a BT home Hub 6:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Hub-Superfast-Reliable-WiFi/dp/B01IZYZN0E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528027042&sr=8-1&keywords=bt+home+hub+6This says 'locked to BT' does this mean BT only, or it will be fine on BT owned plusnet?Would the AC1900 be an even better bet than the AC1750 as it's cheaper on amazon at the mo?https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-R6400-100UKS-802-11ac-External-Antennas/dp/B06Y3T4CR5/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1528027167&sr=1-1&keywords=netgear%2Bac1750&th=1Would this work with Plusnet?

Do yourself a favour and forget the BT trash, you will be disappointed with it trust me. The Netgear will work but that is a router only, so you will have to either buy a modem or use your existing router in modem only mode. For your budget something like this would be suitable amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XW26XZ3/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_y4afBb8VHWJ9G
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 3rd Jun
My tplink TD-W9980 is solid on plusnet but getting on a bit now and newer models are out
I've got a Netgear Nighthawk, so much better than the junk the ISP's send out: pcworld.co.uk/gbu…tml
amazon.co.uk/TP-…dem

Thanks for all your help. I went for this one in the end, and it's WAY batter than the PN supplied garbage. Better range, and not a drop out yet.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions