Pneumococcal vaccine (PPV) for those 65+ or with some chronic conditions? (Free from GP)

Posted 14th MarEdited by:"fluppet"
I know lots of people are worried about coronavirus and especially the risk to older people and those with existing health conditions. To be clear, the pneumococcal vaccine won't stop you catching coronavirus or developing pneumonia but will possibly provide some extra protection for the most vulnerable against further complications which can otherwise tip the balance to be fatal. I think its a practical thing you can do now before COVID19 becomes more common and GPs get much (much) busier.

One of the complications of coronavirus for those very severely affected is going to be pneumonia and if that happens you are vulnerable to additional bacterial infections like those caused by streptococcus pneumoniae. Those aged 65 plus and those with some long term conditions get a free one off vaccination against some of these common infections. You only need this vaccination, often called PPV or pneumonia vaccination, once aged 65+ so if you have had it already as an adult there is no need to repeat. It is often offered with flu vaccination for those eligible. Ask older relatives if they have had it and if not help them to get protected. You get it via your GP practice - phone to ask. Its a good thing to do anyway and even more important now.

nhs.uk/con…on/

nhs.uk/con…19/
Community Updates

Groups

5 Comments
Absolutely correct. I was eligible for this due to occasional mild asthma. I used to get bad chest infections every year, had this jab this jab and that stopped said infections (annual flu jabs as well). Recommended for anyone who can persuade GP (or Pharmacist? - not certain on that one) to administer
Is this a separate jab to the flu jab?
StudentGrant14/03/2020 13:46

Absolutely correct. I was eligible for this due to occasional mild asthma. …Absolutely correct. I was eligible for this due to occasional mild asthma. I used to get bad chest infections every year, had this jab this jab and that stopped said infections (annual flu jabs as well). Recommended for anyone who can persuade GP (or Pharmacist? - not certain on that one) to administer

It is not available via pharmacist at the moment but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes.
Really useful information. Will pass on to elderly relatives. Thank you @fluppet
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants