Expired

P&O Ferry Liverpool to Dublin

Found 3rd May 2012
Has anyone ever used the ferry service from Liverpool to Dublin (I think it takes about 8 hours) ? Can you offer any feedback ie is it children friendly etc. The internet gives the impression it is quite freight orientated. It works out though that you can travel in the summer to Ireland return during the day for £260 for a family of five which includes breakfast lunch and an evening meal on each journey which seems very good !!
Community Updates
MiscFerryLiverpoolDublin
9 Comments
Yes I have used the service before, the ship is quite old and it is a truckers route, however there is a cinema, childrens soft play area and food facilities. A cabin is a must for night journeys and if you have kids I'd suggest it during the day too. If you have a laptop that may be a good way to keep the kids entertained. To be honest the route isn't something I'd say many kids will enjoy but if the saving is big enough over other routes such as hollyhead - dublin etc then it may be worth it for the time saved.

Additionally, if you can get a sailing during the night hours it may be better as you wont need that many facilities as you can put the kids to bed, but possibly save a fortune.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask as it's a route I use often to visit my family for convenience sake.
Edited by: "Astec123" 3rd May 2012
Original Poster
Thanks, that is really helpful. We normally cross via Holyhead but it is about £430 now and there never seem to be any offers - the eight hours is putting us off a little - we have two small dogs as well, leaving them in the car for 3 hours seems ok but 8 hours might be too much really (even though they are in the car travelling for what will be nearly the eight hours anyway)
http://www.poferries.com/tourist/content/pages/template/onboard_liverpool_-_dublin_ship_information_ships_info.htm

The route when I have used it is always the Norbay or Norbank ships listed above. I believe the larger ship is exclusively for freight and the drivers as I have never used it. As for dogs, you could possibly get away with it if you have them in the car overnight and make sure to cater for their needs before setting sail.

As for the 8 hours. Last time I was aboard they offered free wifi (very slow but usable) so I'd say with a laptop or two you could easily keep amused for the time. I always try to travel overnight that way I get 6hours of kip and a few hours playing games on my laptop and browsing the web. There are plenty of power points and the staff are more than happy to let you use them.
http://www.aferry.co.uk/liverpool-dublin-ferry.htm

I travelled with these guys last year and enjoyed the trip fine, I found a really good deal but it really depends on when you are travelling as of course all companies raise prices on demand.

My advise is to search and compare through all of them as you can see different prices everywhere depending on the day!

Good luck and enjoy your holiday!
Hi did you travel this route with your dogs? They are still telling us it's 'unadvisable' but won't say we can or we can't?
We leave on Monday and still don't know if dogs are allowed to travel with us in the car. Thank you
i use p&o ferries dublin /liverpool 3 times a year...we go on day (am) sailings..half price of dublin /holyhead..all food included..tea coffee juice all free...ships are fine ,not as plush as hollyhead route...but with food and price ...unbeatable..and dont forget the fuel saving on drive to holyhead...you can get a cabin on on day sailing for €25...private toilet/bunks...passenger areas do not have a lot of plugs..so bring two pin converter plug with extension lead if you have laptop or games machine,ships on dublin /liverpool route carry a lot of truckers ..but cars are always on as well...no foot passangers......why p&o has no wifi on these ships is a mystery....as its on every form of transport available...passanger areas have tv...and films are shown also on these tv....no cinema...bar ..and a small gift shop....
Xmas 2013 return P&O Liverpool - Dublin review

Travelling from the North, we travelled the Liverpool - Dublin route over Xmas Week 2013, overnight each way. Outward was the Norbank; returned on European Endeavour (bigger than Norbank, with lifts). Great that a full meal outward and continenatal breakfast was included. Overnight cabins were ideal and the staff were very helpful in arranging a cot for our baby and even a change of room to fit the cot in. There isnt much for the kids to do on the overnight sailings; but that does not matter, as straight to bed after evening meal. My toddler boy treated it all as an adventure. I am told that on the European Endeavour there is a cinema on day time sailings. Do beware that the outside gang ways are quite exposed, with little than the fence / net between you and the sea. If the sea is rough, this could matter, so beware and keep the kids inside as a precaution in rough seas. This is in contrast to other sailings I have travelled, say to Amsterdam or Rotterdam, where the smokers outside area is very much caged in from the sea. Overall, to my mind the sailings were fine, considering I got a good night sleep and didn't have to drive to Holly Head, which is an additional 3 hours past the Liverpool M6 junction (including stops for the kids, who get bored on long car journeys). The majority are truckers; but there were a good number of families. It's a bit rough at the edges; but the cabin, food and less driving time made up for it. I would do it again, provided going over for at least 5 days. On this basis, it is great to have a car, rather than to fly and no car or to pay for a hire car.
randre

Xmas 2013 return P&O Liverpool - Dublin reviewTravelling from the North, … Xmas 2013 return P&O Liverpool - Dublin reviewTravelling from the North, we travelled the Liverpool - Dublin route over Xmas Week 2013, overnight each way. Outward was the Norbank; returned on European Endeavour (bigger than Norbank, with lifts). Great that a full meal outward and continenatal breakfast was included. Overnight cabins were ideal and the staff were very helpful in arranging a cot for our baby and even a change of room to fit the cot in. There isnt much for the kids to do on the overnight sailings; but that does not matter, as straight to bed after evening meal. My toddler boy treated it all as an adventure. I am told that on the European Endeavour there is a cinema on day time sailings. Do beware that the outside gang ways are quite exposed, with little than the fence / net between you and the sea. If the sea is rough, this could matter, so beware and keep the kids inside as a precaution in rough seas. This is in contrast to other sailings I have travelled, say to Amsterdam or Rotterdam, where the smokers outside area is very much caged in from the sea. Overall, to my mind the sailings were fine, considering I got a good night sleep and didn't have to drive to Holly Head, which is an additional 3 hours past the Liverpool M6 junction (including stops for the kids, who get bored on long car journeys). The majority are truckers; but there were a good number of families. It's a bit rough at the edges; but the cabin, food and less driving time made up for it. I would do it again, provided going over for at least 5 days. On this basis, it is great to have a car, rather than to fly and no car or to pay for a hire car.

Way to go with ancient thread revival, I barely even remember posting my comments from 18+months ago. Did you sign up just to post the review?
Original Poster
Thanks all for the feedback, we have continued to use the Holyhead Dublin route but after the feedback might give this a go
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants