EXPIRED

Pocket Surfer 2R (roam)

Banned
Best deal please on a Pocket Surfer 2R (roam). Thanks.

9 Comments

ebuyer.com/pro…389 - £169.99 inc. postage.

handtec.co.uk/pro…559 - £158.59 + dunno about postage

But I have to ask...why would you! You can achieve more with a netbook + usb gps unit & mobile broadband. The device has consistently scored very poorly in all reviews I've read. Plus, if the company goes bust their server-side support may cease and you'd have a completely useless device.

Original Poster Banned

thekanester;4979987

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151389 - £169.99 inc. … http://www.ebuyer.com/product/151389 - £169.99 inc. postage.http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php?xProd=1559 - £158.59 + dunno about postageBut I have to ask...why would you! You can achieve more with a netbook + usb gps unit & mobile broadband. The device has consistently scored very poorly in all reviews I've read. Plus, if the company goes bust their server-side support may cease and you'd have a completely useless device.

Yes, I know what you mean. I've looked at the option with a netbook/usb mobile broadband and a mobile phone with unlimited mobile broadband. Cheapest netbook/usb bb seems to be £17.50 (3 store) but you only get 1gb inc per month. Not sure on prices on prices of 'surfable' phone with unlimited internet, but any advice/prices appreciated. Looking for something which will do Messenger, bit of surfing and email. Thanks.

I've had 3-mobile 3GB/month broadband for a year now and tbh, I've never come close to getting there. I've only ever got above 1gb a couple of times. I do have a proper internet connection at hope though, where I do my gaming etc. But 1gb is a surprisingly large amount.

Some people have been reporting success with certain phones and unlimited mobile surfing add ons from 3-mobile, and then using the phone as a modem. Technically, it's not allowed, but if it's not abused then you can get away with it fine.

Also, if you're a Virgin customer then you can get mobile broadband for as little as £5 / month for 1GB. I think I may be changing to those guys in the very near future as coverage is said to be better than 3-mobile. I get great coverage in Dundee with 3 mobile and I was getting speeds close to 2.5Mb/s this morning, which is amazing.

But I'd definitely can the idea of the pcoketsurfer as it's just too crap for words, really. The download speeds are atrocious compared with a netbook and your netbook can have apps installed whereas you can't install anything on this device.

I can have a looka round and see what good offers are on just now, if you like.

Original Poster Banned

thekanester;4985842

I've had 3-mobile 3GB/month broadband for a year now and tbh, I've never … I've had 3-mobile 3GB/month broadband for a year now and tbh, I've never come close to getting there. I've only ever got above 1gb a couple of times. I do have a proper internet connection at hope though, where I do my gaming etc. But 1gb is a surprisingly large amount.Some people have been reporting success with certain phones and unlimited mobile surfing add ons from 3-mobile, and then using the phone as a modem. Technically, it's not allowed, but if it's not abused then you can get away with it fine.Also, if you're a Virgin customer then you can get mobile broadband for as little as £5 / month for 1GB. I think I may be changing to those guys in the very near future as coverage is said to be better than 3-mobile. I get great coverage in Dundee with 3 mobile and I was getting speeds close to 2.5Mb/s this morning, which is amazing.But I'd definitely can the idea of the pcoketsurfer as it's just too crap for words, really. The download speeds are atrocious compared with a netbook and your netbook can have apps installed whereas you can't install anything on this device.I can have a looka round and see what good offers are on just now, if you like.

Sure, if you don't mind. I like the idea of netbook and 1gb from 3 store for £17.50 p/m although open to other ideas such as 'surfable' phone with unlimited internet etc. I just wonder how much usage having Messenger would take up over a working day/week/month?

I wouldn't go with the deal from Three to be honest , even though its low monthly price appear appealing and here's why:

1. You have a 24 month contract @ £17.50 == £420 term cost
2. The Acer Aspire A150b costs £249.99 here:

cdiscount.co.uk/Com…tml

3. A modem & 12 months of 1GB / month costs £89.99 from here:

cdiscount.co.uk/Com…tml

Although, you may want to just buy the modem for £20 from the same place and top it up as required; as you might find that, 3 months down the line you can get mobile internet for much cheaper than it is now; or you realise that you don't use it anywhere near as much as you think you will.

This makes the total £339.98 , which is £80.02 cheaper. I know that this would need to be paid up front, but cdiscount do an interest-free payment scheme over 3 months, which I've used and is effortless. This means that it would cost you £113.33 each month, or if you just bought the dongle instead of the 12 month deal would only be £89.99 per month. Oh, I think that cdiscount also have a discount/cashback running at the moment for new customers, and they offer about 4.5% quidco, which would shave a further £13.30 off the price.

That's the *kind* of deal that I would consider, although the specifics are up to you. For example, if you're not fussy regarding linux or xp then you could save £50 on the netbook, or if battery life was important to you then you could drop the Acer Aspire and pick up either as Asus EEEPC901 (which I have; > 6 hrs battery life but small keyboard) or Samsung NC10. There are plenty of on-line discussions regarding the relative merits of each laptop so you can check that out for yourself.

Anyways - if you have any other questions then let me know. Here's a list of my other recommended laptops and where to get them cheap.

eeepc901 £239.99 from here: ebuyer.com/pro…033
samsung nc10 £304.99 from here: ebuyer.com/pro…183

thekanester;4988907

This makes the total £339.98 , which is £80.02 cheaper. I know that this w … This makes the total £339.98 , which is £80.02 cheaper. I know that this would need to be paid up front, but cdiscount do an interest-free payment scheme over 3 months, which I've used and is effortless. This means that it would cost you £113.33 each month, or if you just bought the dongle instead of the 12 month deal would only be £89.99 per month. Oh, I think that cdiscount also have a discount/cashback running at the moment for new customers, and they offer about 4.5% quidco, which would shave a further £13.30 off the price.

You've missed out a year there, the bundle is for 24 months of mobile broadband while your package is only for 12. If you were to count it twice then that would be £430. But that is assuming it's still the same price in 12 months time, which seems unlikely.

p.s. If you're planning to use it outside check whether that Acer has a reflective (glossy) screen.

Original Poster Banned

With the Acer netbooks, can you put on XP yourself if it has Linux on it?

EndlessWaves;4989163

You've missed out a year there, the bundle is for 24 months of mobile … You've missed out a year there, the bundle is for 24 months of mobile broadband while your package is only for 12. If you were to count it twice then that would be £430. But that is assuming it's still the same price in 12 months time, which seems unlikely.p.s. If you're planning to use it outside check whether that Acer has a reflective (glossy) screen.

Indeed you are correct sir. Thanks for pointing out my error.

And indeed, at this date, it is sheer folly to get roped into a 24 month mobile broadband deal. In the past year the costs have halved and it's likely to perform similarly over the next 12-18 months.

The other good thing with getting shorter contracts with mobile broadband is your ability to cancel if it doesn't perform as it should. For example, in the office I have been getting an amazing 2.5Mbps with Three. At home I get about 500-1000Kbps, but while visiting both my parents and my OH parents I get no coverage at all, whereas Virgin broadband (T-mobile) would give me crap coverage at home, but great coverage elsewhere.

Getting out of a 3 contract can be very difficult indeed once you have gone past the 3 day cooling-off period and I can only imagine that this situation is made even more difficult once you have opened the box of your netbook too, whilst Virgin mobile broadband have a good 28-day money back guarantee.

Note that this isn't 3-bashing, as I've had nothing but great service from them so far and am happy with what I'm getting for what I'm paying. Having said that I'm moving to Virgin for reasons of cost.

pjackson;4989325

With the Acer netbooks, can you put on XP yourself if it has Linux on it?

Yeah, you *can* but if you get one of the lower-specified machines which use an SSD then it's so slow as to be not worth the effort.

See here:

jkontherun.com/200…xp/
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?78
    2. Sky package66
    3. Amsterdam Booking.com advice22
    4. Should I Sky sports or not1311

See more discussions