Pockit to introduce 99p membership per month from March 2019

Posted 7th Jan 2019
Just got the email.. this new "feature" will start on March 2019 and applies to everyone.

Time for me to close my account as no way paying that especially as plenty of fee free mastercards out there.

News terms here. Click me
Community Updates
Misc
44 Comments
Cheers Shabs. That’s about the right amount in my pocket...give or take a penny.
n15hu07/01/2019 14:27

Cheers Shabs. That’s about the right amount in my pocket...give or take a p …Cheers Shabs. That’s about the right amount in my pocket...give or take a penny.

lol.. think I have less than £10. Better get that out quickly.
shabbird1 m ago

lol.. think I have less than £10. Better get that out quickly.

Thanks for this.
They are probably struggling to monetise as their business model didn't seem very good. Just open a Starling account, much better.
jamie1507/01/2019 14:37

They are probably struggling to monetise as their business model didn't …They are probably struggling to monetise as their business model didn't seem very good. Just open a Starling account, much better.

They had an offer for free £10 couple of years ago.. and that's when I signed up
shabbird07/01/2019 14:42

They had an offer for free £10 couple of years ago.. and that's when I …They had an offer for free £10 couple of years ago.. and that's when I signed up

I was tempted to sign up a few years ago but didn't want to pay. Better off buying a prepaid Visa card then.
deleted2160989
They gotta have some incentives like £5 or £10 credit to join.
shabbird1 h, 12 m ago

They had an offer for free £10 couple of years ago.. and that's when I …They had an offer for free £10 couple of years ago.. and that's when I signed up

Me as well Shabs (never got the cashback)

No email still got a 60p balance (the cashback on the tenner)

Thank you for the heads up

see my card is expiring on the first.
Edited by: "Wongy110" 7th Jan 2019
jamie1507/01/2019 14:37

They are probably struggling to monetise as their business model didn't …They are probably struggling to monetise as their business model didn't seem very good. Just open a Starling account, much better.

Good choice, been with Starling a while now, very good account
MatthewTubbs07/01/2019 16:30

Good choice, been with Starling a while now, very good account

I got my account opened just recently, main pull was live chat
jamie157th Jan

I got my account opened just recently, main pull was live chat

It’s actually something I just took for granted, but having had to use it a couple of times, they’re not only helpful but quick with it
jamie1507/01/2019 15:07

I was tempted to sign up a few years ago but didn't want to pay. Better …I was tempted to sign up a few years ago but didn't want to pay. Better off buying a prepaid Visa card then.

Where did you get prepaid Visa card ?? Never seen them
I've heard about them in the states where you can buy them like Gift cards in stores but never seen them in UK, probably some stupid UK Law stoping them
Edited by: "Norseg" 7th Jan 2019
Do you know a PrePaid Card with no fees what doesn't require photo id and for you to record a stupid video, things like Revolut, Starling and Monzo are a no
Anyone know how to go about cancelling a Pockit account? I've looked on the app and can't see an option to leave. They've been charging me 2.99 for the pleasure despite advertising it as free.
Julesysmiles22 m ago

Anyone know how to go about cancelling a Pockit account? I've looked on …Anyone know how to go about cancelling a Pockit account? I've looked on the app and can't see an option to leave. They've been charging me 2.99 for the pleasure despite advertising it as free.

I can't see anything on desktop either contact them I guess ?
looks like I can withdraw my 60p without charge ?
after that don't see how they can charge me?
Norseg1 h, 12 m ago

Where did you get prepaid Visa card ?? Never seen themI've heard about …Where did you get prepaid Visa card ?? Never seen themI've heard about them in the states where you can buy them like Gift cards in stores but never seen them in UK, probably some stupid UK Law stoping them

Revolut has Visa? I have a Mastercard and a Visa both linked to the same account... and Tesco sell prepaid Visa gift cards too.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 7th Jan 2019
Wongy11007/01/2019 20:28

looks like I can withdraw my 60p without charge ?after that don't see how …looks like I can withdraw my 60p without charge ?after that don't see how they can charge me?

better to just close it as you never know if it will affect your credit score later on for non payment.
shabbird07/01/2019 20:44

better to just close it as you never know if it will affect your credit …better to just close it as you never know if it will affect your credit score later on for non payment.

you would think they would have informed me of the change shab ?
from the email.. they give a link to email address to close your account.

You can see the details of the membership fee in our terms and conditions. If you'd rather not accept these terms, just get in touch and we'll close your account.

email.... help@pockit.com
Subject.. terms and conditions update

As always, just let us know if you have any questions.

- The Pockit team
Wongy1104 m ago

you would think they would have informed me of the change shab ?

Probably relying on that to get the extra 99p Can see quite afew people getting caught with this.
Not found the bit in there relating to this yet shabs

did find this however
20. Cancellation rights

20.1 If you change your mind about having the Pockit Account and Pockit Card, you can close your Pockit Account within 14 days of the date you receive confirmation of your application being approved by contacting us in ways described on the Website. You will not be charged for closing your Pockit Account and cancelling your Pockit Card during this period. We will refund to you your Account Balance and any Fees that you have paid, but you will not be entitled to a refund of money you have already spent on transactions you have already made.

20.2 You can also close your Pockit Account and cancel your Pockit Card any time after the 14 day period subject to an account closure fee as set out in the Summary Box by contacting Customer Services. You should also cut your Pockit Card in half through the signature box, magnetic strip and chip.

20.3 To close your account any outstanding balance must be returned to the Account Holder. This can be via transfer to a UK bank account or by a cheque posted to the address registered to the Pockit Account. We reserve the right to request proof of the recipient account or address.
Norseg07/01/2019 19:31

Where did you get prepaid Visa card ?? Never seen themI've heard about …Where did you get prepaid Visa card ?? Never seen themI've heard about them in the states where you can buy them like Gift cards in stores but never seen them in UK, probably some stupid UK Law stoping them

Most shops that sell gift cards sell them. Think I've seen them in Tesco, WHSmith, Wilko etc but haven't bought one recently so not sure. There's a fee of £3-4 for each one, usually in denominations of £25 or £50.
jamie1507/01/2019 21:13

Most shops that sell gift cards sell them. Think I've seen them in Tesco, …Most shops that sell gift cards sell them. Think I've seen them in Tesco, WHSmith, Wilko etc but haven't bought one recently so not sure. There's a fee of £3-4 for each one, usually in denominations of £25 or £50.

I've never seen them
Probably because the really only place what sells gift cards near me is Asda
Does UK have a thing like Privacy which I heard about but it's USA only, you can get set up virtual cards which you can set limits and destroy it for a new one after every use, I heard its a free service too
I want that in the UK so I can get unlimited trials and its also good to stop scams/fraud
I don't know how trusted it is but I've heard about it from a Kipkay YouTube video
Norseg07/01/2019 22:23

I've never seen them Probably because the really only place what sells …I've never seen them Probably because the really only place what sells gift cards near me is AsdaDoes UK have a thing like Privacy which I heard about but it's USA only, you can get set up virtual cards which you can set limits and destroy it for a new one after every use, I heard its a free service too I want that in the UK so I can get unlimited trials and its also good to stop scams/fraud I don't know how trusted it is but I've heard about it from a Kipkay YouTube video

You can buy digital prepaid Visa cards but those are more expensive. Revolut let you set up disposable virtual cards as part of premium which costs £6.99 a month.
jamie1507/01/2019 22:26

You can buy digital prepaid Visa cards but those are more expensive. …You can buy digital prepaid Visa cards but those are more expensive. Revolut let you set up disposable virtual cards as part of premium which costs £6.99 a month.

£6.99 a month? Not the same
Too expensive, should be free, Privacy.com can do it for free, they probably make money just the way banks do since they don't charge (they make money by fees what the merchant/seller pays from every transaction)
Also I don't think Privacy makes you send a passport, address proof and a stupid cringe worthy 30 second video, that's what I want to avoid
Norseg7 m ago

£6.99 a month? Not the sameToo expensive, should be free, Privacy.com can …£6.99 a month? Not the sameToo expensive, should be free, Privacy.com can do it for free, they probably make money just the way banks do since they don't charge (they make money by fees what the merchant/seller pays from every transaction) Also I don't think Privacy makes you send a passport, address proof and a stupid cringe worthy 30 second video, that's what I want to avoid

The video for Starling is 5 seconds long, you just say 1 simple sentence.
I remembered I had a card from when they started up. I emailed them to cancel the account and they replied I had to spend the balance before they would close it

As above I have replied to send me a cheque and close the account but I can see this dragging on for a bit.
shabbird15 h, 7 m ago

better to just close it as you never know if it will affect your credit …better to just close it as you never know if it will affect your credit score later on for non payment.

I only gave permission for Pockit to search credit reference agencies (ID check) on signup; certainly not to report any subsequent payment (non)performance to the CRAs. It's a pre-paid card service, there should be no reporting to CRAs.
mastablasta1 h, 55 m ago

I remembered I had a card from when they started up. I emailed them to …I remembered I had a card from when they started up. I emailed them to cancel the account and they replied I had to spend the balance before they would close it As above I have replied to send me a cheque and close the account but I can see this dragging on for a bit.

The same here
"Thank you for contacting Pockit.

We have sent out emails explaining to customers from March everyone will be charged a 99p monthly fee.(not me you haven't)

We're really sorry you want to close your Pockit account. Could you help us make Pockit better by telling us why you want to leave?

If you still want to close your account you just need to reduce your account balance to zero, then email us and we'll do the rest."
mastablasta08/01/2019 11:24

I remembered I had a card from when they started up. I emailed them to …I remembered I had a card from when they started up. I emailed them to cancel the account and they replied I had to spend the balance before they would close it As above I have replied to send me a cheque and close the account but I can see this dragging on for a bit.

Couldn't you just Transfer your balance into your main bank account or maybe PayPal it
The 'button' on the transfers section on the website doesn't work
also just realised my card expired last year so can't spend it either

fired off another message to them
Already got back to me will get me a new card and credit me 99p so I can withdraw the 60p

can't fault that
Norseg08/01/2019 15:03

Couldn't you just Transfer your balance into your main bank account or …Couldn't you just Transfer your balance into your main bank account or maybe PayPal it

I haven’t used the card for years and it’s somewhere in the spare room. I guess I will have to ask them to send a new card then spend the pennies.
mastablasta1 h, 22 m ago

I haven’t used the card for years and it’s somewhere in the spare room. I g …I haven’t used the card for years and it’s somewhere in the spare room. I guess I will have to ask them to send a new card then spend the pennies.

Can't you just transfer on the app?
My new card is on the way
So I can cancel it
Been credited the 99p but the 60p balance seems to have disappeared
without me doing nowt
Sent them another message
OK they have reinstated my 60p and that is now withdrawn
Just need to get in touch to close the account
also had another 99p charge but that has been credited as well

what fun eh?
Post a comment
@