Expired

Points for brake lights not working?

Found 30th Aug 2015
I was pulled yesterday in day time for both my brake lights being out, my high level brake light was working fine, i know its my own fault etc etc, I am generally on top of this stuff but they must of blown together as I only changed them 2 months back, any got told off and advised id get a letter with a between a warning or up to £60.00 fine, but he didn't mention points anyone know if its possible I will get points for this?
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
No points for small mr meaners
Would have thought hed of said at the time? A friend of my mine got snapped by a camra, he was speeding and should have got points but he didn't receive the letter for months and complained about that and got away with the points!
Did the copper allow you to continue driving?
deleted57959

Yes, I showed him the spare bulbs told him id change it there and then … Yes, I showed him the spare bulbs told him id change it there and then and I did.

OK. I thought he'd allowed you to drive away with the fault remaining.
It seems odd that he's given a fine without the mention of points. You may just get away with only a fine and a written warning.
Fingers crossed.
I was pulled over for a faulty light once and he was a proper smug **** until I pointed out his headlight wasn't working. He "let me off" with a warning then, lol.
atj6384

No points for small mr meaners

Lol. Hope you were being clever with your wording there and not serious.
I think it's particularly odd that you got out a set of spare bulbs and were about to replace them, but were still given possibility of a fine. Should just have been polite from office on that point on IMO. It's the louts who don't have a clue and are like "yeah yeah I'll get them looked at soon, now let me on my way and go deal with some real criminals" they should be giving fines to.
deleted57959

Oh he did tell me he had to right to impound the car, but I seemed a … Oh he did tell me he had to right to impound the car, but I seemed a genuine guy! nice of him eh lol..

He wouldn't have once you'd replaced the bulbs, the four letter word starting with c lol.
Edited by: "anewman" 30th Aug 2015
for all those who are siding against the police , think of it this way, what if the police did not pull him over and decided to let him keep driving and and later on he caused an accident... these things do happen .. a car could pull out on him he brakes sharply but the car behind him doesn't see his headlight and rear ends him causing injury to himself and others, and if the accident is then investigated and they found out that's his brake light weren't working he could then be charged with reckless driving.. maybe him being pulled over just saved him a lot of fuss
* breaklights
because you could have caused an accident on your way to get them fixed and y would they take your word you would get it done immediately there interest is all public safety not just keeping you from having a bad day
tj19990

because you could have caused an accident on your way to get them fixed … because you could have caused an accident on your way to get them fixed and y would they take your word you would get it done immediately there interest is all public safety not just keeping you from having a bad day

The OP has already stated he changed the bulbs there and then before moving the vehicle any further.
If you carry a spare bulb kit you cannot be prosecuted, fined, warned or anything else. Bulb failures can happen at any time even if you checked them at the start of your journey they were fine, you get stopped and they are not. The police cannot prove when your bulb failed. If you have a spare in the car then no issues unless you own a car with a bulb failure warning light on the dash therefore you should have stopped and fixed it.

With regards to the other post regarding the speeding posted by ellese your friend should not have received a summons, fixed penalty or any other notice. The law states that you must be advised of your rights within 14 days of committing the alleged offence. If you are stopped by the police you are given your rights at the scene, job done. With fixed and mobile cameras you do not get the opportunity to have a charming police officer tell you what a naughty boy or girl you have been. Therefore they must send you a notice of intended prosecution within 14 days which advise you of your legal rights. You know the bit where they say you have the right to remain silent, anything you do say may be written down and used in evidence AGAINST you. Never did understand that bit. It's like they are saying don't say anything, keep your gob shut. So if you think you got flashed or got caught by a little adolf in a white camera van then wait 14 days, add a couple of days in case there has been a postal strike, no letter and you're in the clear. If you do get a notice after say after 16 or 17 days, check the date on the fixed penalty or summons, check the postmark date on the envelope. They cannot back date it. If you get one after a month send it back stating they didn't advise you of your rights within 14 days as the law commands. If they do advise you of intended prosecution within 14 days they have up to 6 months to send you a summons. Also this is only if you are the registered keeper of the car and haven't moved recently or just bought the car as they will send the letter out to whoever is shown on the database at dvla of the registered keeper.

You call him a jobsworth. ( you were illegal ).

deleted57959

Thanks, most people I've spoken too haven't got points, but one or two … Thanks, most people I've spoken too haven't got points, but one or two have.. he was OK with me obviously typical Jobsworth but, I just nodded politely and signed his machine.. i do not mind paying a fine its fair enough but i feel points for blown bulbs are a bit ott.

anewman

I think it's particularly odd that you got out a set of spare bulbs and … I think it's particularly odd that you got out a set of spare bulbs and were about to replace them, but were still given possibility of a fine. Should just have been polite from office on that point on IMO. It's the louts who don't have a clue and are like "yeah yeah I'll get them looked at soon, now let me on my way and go deal with some real criminals" they should be giving fines to.

anewman

I think it's particularly odd that you got out a set of spare bulbs and … I think it's particularly odd that you got out a set of spare bulbs and were about to replace them, but were still given possibility of a fine. Should just have been polite from office on that point on IMO. It's the louts who don't have a clue and are like "yeah yeah I'll get them looked at soon, now let me on my way and go deal with some real criminals" they should be giving fines to.

stuarthanley

Did the copper allow you to continue driving?

anewman

But he also seemed to be a nice guy.

deleted57959

I know i had a set of 10 of every bulb lol, I bought in bulk from … I know i had a set of 10 of every bulb lol, I bought in bulk from Amazon.. apparently a serious accident had occurred a few months back where a bike went into a car with no brake lights, hence him being harsh.Oh he did tell me he had to right to impound the car, but wouldnt as I seemed a genuine guy! nice of him eh lol..

You bought 10 of every bulb for your car? You must have done this 'cos you knew that they fail regularly but you hadn't checked for over 2 months?

deleted57959

Yes, I showed him the spare bulbs told him id change it there and then … Yes, I showed him the spare bulbs told him id change it there and then and I did. just bought some decent LED's to try and avoid this in future lol.

So, have you now replaced every bulb in your car with the LEDs you just bought?

deleted57959

I know i had a set of 10 of every bulb lol, I bought in bulk from … I know i had a set of 10 of every bulb lol, I bought in bulk from Amazon.. apparently a serious accident had occurred a few months back where a bike went into a car with no brake lights, hence him being harsh.Oh he did tell me he had to right to impound the car, but wouldnt as I seemed a genuine guy! nice of him eh lol..

You seemed to LOL at every statement here except the one about the serious accident..... Oh wait.

I hate people without brake lights and those who don't indicate too.

Edited by: "Jumpingphil" 30th Aug 2015
I still don't know, are you all LED now?
And I'm glad I'm not that bike behind you, although I wouldn't be so close. LOL.

You're an awful driver.
if your light are blowing this frequently then I would get your car checked out as it might have a short in the wiring circuit thus making it a danger to other road users and if your are pulled again for the same issue the police will issue a further heftier fine and they * can * give point out for repeated offences and also crush your car... all these things might be a problem for you but the police would be doing the public a favour by getting a dangerous vehicle and driver off the road.

ps. you should check your vehicle lights weekly as per the highway code
listen I am a mechanic and have been for 7 years, bulbs do not blow in a pair and that offer unless you have a problem with wiring, common sense would be to take your vehicle and get it checked out and if it has happened twice already then checking it daily would be a normal thing to-do until it get fixed by a professional
bulbs blowing twice in 2 months if frequently BTW bulbs should last atleased a year's and that is the cheap ones
deleted57959

I wish you were a bike behind me, id remove the fuse! and slam on so I … I wish you were a bike behind me, id remove the fuse! and slam on so I could see your smug face in my rear window, although I am sure you would get some sly snide comment in before you exited the front window!

You obviously missed the bit where I said " I wouldn't be so close. ".
And yes, we have history, over stupid photos you took.
I never wished you any harm though, did I?
listen to your statement, 2 separate bulbs blew the exact same way at the same time but the led light wasn't affected that would mean the the brake light circuit has a fault. a double filament bulb has two circuits one for the driving light and the other for the braking lights if it's the braking element that fails *frequently* then there IS a problem. corroded wire, bad earth or poor contacts and yes it is very uncommon for a pair of bulbs to fail at the exact same time and especially if it happened more than once you don't need to be a mechanic to have common sense
deleted57959

no never, and I wasn't serious so sorry it was a bit childish comment, … no never, and I wasn't serious so sorry it was a bit childish comment, but Phil, your a comments are plain nasty at times, and no need to just be so harsh.Lets get something straight, I ain't a daft driver, I am responsible both bulbs have gone in a short space of time, I was just unlucky to miss it and get caught.. IN fact the Mrs followed me in her car last Thursday so its happened since then or she would of noticed and pointed it out.Its one of those things.. no need to think must be some boy racer idiot driver.Maybe you should look at me more recent photos as well.. :Dhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/hazzatori/

I used to look forward to looking at the photo thread and did so almost daily.
I haven't been back there or any of the following years threads more than 3 to 5 times now. You convinced me it wasn't worth going there anymore.

As for my comments, they would have been exactly the same had ADMIN himself posted this thread.
I am NOT picking on you, please don't flatter yourself, I have better things to do than chase you around.
Don't buy your bulbs from the £1 shop, they don't last. Also Mercedes Vito vans seem to blow bulbs all the time. We have a few at work and headlight and brake light bulbs are always going.
deleted57959

Good riddance.

I rest my case.
Jumpingphil

I still don't know, are you all LED now?And I'm glad I'm not that bike … I still don't know, are you all LED now?And I'm glad I'm not that bike behind you, although I wouldn't be so close. LOL.You're an awful driver.

Op still had a brake light working

Doesn't that make you an awful rider if you wouldn't have seen that?
deleted57959

Thx Chocci, JP has never said a nice word to me on this forum.

tbh, I normally find him very helpful and friendly

tis the internet problem of no face to face = miscommunication

he's no troll, thats for sure.
deleted57959

Today I received a fixed penalty notice for £50.00 it was classed as non … Today I received a fixed penalty notice for £50.00 it was classed as non endorsable so no points. Strangely I received it 24 hours after i sold the car which i got the points on. I forgot all about it, oh well you live and learn, i accept fault for it and have been fined accordingly. and I am far more stringent at checking my lights, (although i wasnt so bad before)

bit harsh
could have appealed that
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants