Points to consider in buying a 4K TV

Found 10th Apr
Hi all

I'm looking to buy a 4K TV. Apart from size, resolution & money what else to consider in making my choice?

Thanks

1. Ask
  2. TV
  3. 4K TV
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. TV
  3. 4K TV
15 Comments

Make - I choose Samsung
10bit/8bit - Important to some (inc me)
Warranty - 5 years (richer sounds, john lewis etc)

Original Poster

philseery

Make - I choose Samsung10bit/8bit - Important to some (inc me)Warranty - … Make - I choose Samsung10bit/8bit - Important to some (inc me)Warranty - 5 years (richer sounds, john lewis etc)

Thanks. My choice on the brand would be Samsung after doing some research n on feedbacks.
What's the importance of the 8/10bit?
Also looking at the processing aspect what's good?

You can also look at Hisense if you want a good bang-for-buck 4K TV. They are native 8-bit but with a firmware upgrade, turns it into 10 bit.

Original Poster

iKayZee

You can also look at Hisense if you want a good bang-for-buck 4K TV. They … You can also look at Hisense if you want a good bang-for-buck 4K TV. They are native 8-bit but with a firmware upgrade, turns it into 10 bit.

Thanks. I have been looking at reviews on this brand. But wasn't sure if they could be reliable like well known brands.

Original Poster

Should i considet whether the TV can upscale a video to 4K format and play?

vassy4u

Thanks. I have been looking at reviews on this brand. But wasn't sure if … Thanks. I have been looking at reviews on this brand. But wasn't sure if they could be reliable like well known brands.

Hisense are very well know just not in uk. They are one of the largest tv manufacturers in the world. I am very happy with mine.

Original Poster

barrel24

Hisense are very well know just not in uk. They are one of the largest tv … Hisense are very well know just not in uk. They are one of the largest tv manufacturers in the world. I am very happy with mine.

Thanks..

vassy4u

Should i considet whether the TV can upscale a video to 4K format and … Should i considet whether the TV can upscale a video to 4K format and play?

Any 4K TV will upscale to 4K. How good it does it is another story

Original Poster

rev6

Any 4K TV will upscale to 4K. How good it does it is another story

Really? Does this depend on the quality of the content or any other aspect of the tv?

Gaming lag

Hi, I have a Samsung, it has the curved screen and to be quite honest I am not impressed. Its big shortfall is that you need to be sat right in front of the screen to get the best picture, so I suggest you reserch the field of vision angle before deciding.

Original Poster

benjammin316

Gaming lag

Don't play any games
Just for movies YouTube and videos

Original Poster

kpn272

Hi, I have a Samsung, it has the curved screen and to be quite honest I … Hi, I have a Samsung, it has the curved screen and to be quite honest I am not impressed. Its big shortfall is that you need to be sat right in front of the screen to get the best picture, so I suggest you reserch the field of vision angle before deciding.

Thanks. This is a common point i came across for curved tv s. I'm only looking for a flat one

It's a bit difficult to say without knowing roughly where you're looking. If you're after a 32" or 40" TV then things like 4K and HDR should be of no interest to you - the former won't make a difference and the latter doesn't have any meaningful availability.

As you've specified a 4K TV I guess you're after a large TV (65"+) that you'll be running high end content like Blu-ray UHD on.

If that is the case then your biggest decision is probably what level of HDR you want. HDR is a technology that adds brighter highlights, adding realism and contrast. LCDs can only do that through varying the backlight in sections ('local dimming') but that is an expensive technology.

Generally an entry level HDR TV is something like a Samsung KS7000, going through mid-range options like a Sony XD93 and LG B6 to the flagship LCD models in each range like the DX902, KS9500 and ZD9.

Below that there are TVs that either only implement the supporting technologies, such as the Hisense M7000, DX750, XD80 or have no HDR hardware support and only accept an HDR signal, if that.

HDR only works with content designed for it though.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

It's a bit difficult to say without knowing roughly where you're looking. … It's a bit difficult to say without knowing roughly where you're looking. If you're after a 32" or 40" TV then things like 4K and HDR should be of no interest to you - the former won't make a difference and the latter doesn't have any meaningful availability. As you've specified a 4K TV I guess you're after a large TV (65"+) that you'll be running high end content like Blu-ray UHD on.If that is the case then your biggest decision is probably what level of HDR you want. HDR is a technology that adds brighter highlights, adding realism and contrast. LCDs can only do that through varying the backlight in sections ('local dimming') but that is an expensive technology.Generally an entry level HDR TV is something like a Samsung KS7000, going through mid-range options like a Sony XD93 and LG B6 to the flagship LCD models in each range like the DX902, KS9500 and ZD9. Below that there are TVs that either only implement the supporting technologies, such as the Hisense M7000, DX750, XD80 or have no HDR hardware support and only accept an HDR signal, if that. HDR only works with content designed for it though.

Appreciate the detailed explanantion. I'm after a 50" or 55" one.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769364
    2. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3067
    3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951380
    4. Show us your Photos 2017. October's Theme - 'Anything'32486

See more discussions