Expired

Pokemon cards, 1st edition, worth?

Found 7th May 2013
I have loads of 1st edition cards, and an original box, instructions plus a working pokedex, All in very good condition, are they worth anything because having a quick look online, some people are selling cards for alot of money, some are selling them cheap, anyone help at all?

16 Comments

Hey, I personally collect, sell, buy and trade Pokémon cards and I am familiar with the values of a lot of cards. However, there are many first edition sets, the way you can indicate what set it is from is a symbol just next to the bottom right of the card artwork. There is one set that does not have the set icon, this set is the first ever set released and that's where the really expensive 1st edition cards are.

Here's a picture of where the symbol should be, if any:

http://i.imgur.com/TxlUk9e.png

If you could describe what the symbol is on a few of the cards, I can help you from there on.

Edited by: "Articuno" 7th May 2013

Original Poster

Articuno

Hey, I personally collect, sell, buy and trade Pokémon cards and I am … Hey, I personally collect, sell, buy and trade Pokémon cards and I am familiar with the values of a lot of cards. However, there are many first edition sets, the way you can indicate what set it is from is a symbol just next to the bottom left of the card artwork. There is one set that does not have the set icon, this set is the first ever set released and that's where the really expensive 1st edition cards are.Here's a picture of where the symbol should be, if any:If you could describe what the symbol is on a few of the cards, I can help you from there on.edit: Typo

Thankyou, and well, most of my cards dont have an icon, i have quite a few of the same card too.

Some have, like a skeleton hand icon, some have a pokeball with what looks like a number 2 behind it... but as i say, most dont have icons at all. , ill upload a few pics, but i have hundreds, lol...

Nejjassa

Thankyou, and well, most of my cards dont have an icon, i have quite a … Thankyou, and well, most of my cards dont have an icon, i have quite a few of the same card too.Some have, like a skeleton hand icon, some have a pokeball with what looks like a number 2 behind it... but as i say, most dont have icons at all. , ill upload a few pics, but i have hundreds, lol...

The skeleton hand is a set called Fossil, it was the 3rd set ever released, and rare cards (indicated by a star in the bottom right corner) will fetch you a few pounds, whereas holographic cards will get you between £5 and £15 each. This is assuming they are 1st edition and in very good condition.

The Pokéball with a 2 on it is Base Set 2, most cards from this set are relatively worthless, aside from holographic cards which usually fetch around £3-5 each, with Charizard/Venusaur/Blastoise being around £15/£10/£10 respectively.

Holographic/rare 1st edition cards without a set symbol can fetch quite a bit of money to be honest. As I mentioned before, it's the first set so it's quite a collectors set. There's many variants of that first set too.

If you want to post a few pictures go ahead, I'll be glad to help.

Original Poster

http://oi42.tinypic.com/2z6gt3q.jpg

Going clockwise: Base Set 2, Fossil, Neo Discovery, Base, Gym Challenge, Team Rocket.

You can find a lot of information about the sets here: bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wik…ame

Out of these, you would be more than likely looking at the rare/holographic cards, if you have hundreds of non rare cards, I'd advise sorting them into sets (easily done by just matching up the icons) and sticking them on ebay as lots. People generally want to complete these sets and buying individual common/uncommon cards is a real pain for both the seller and the buyer.

If you'd like to list the rare cards (indicated by a star in the far bottom right number, generally next to xx/xx number) I can give you rough prices. If you could state whether they are first edition or not, that'd help too.

Original Poster

Articuno

The skeleton hand is a set called Fossil, it was the 3rd set ever … The skeleton hand is a set called Fossil, it was the 3rd set ever released, and rare cards (indicated by a star in the bottom right corner) will fetch you a few pounds, whereas holographic cards will get you between £5 and £15 each. This is assuming they are 1st edition and in very good condition. The Pokéball with a 2 on it is Base Set 2, most cards from this set are relatively worthless, aside from holographic cards which usually fetch around £3-5 each, with Charizard/Venusaur/Blastoise being around £15/£10/£10 respectively.Holographic/rare 1st edition cards without a set symbol can fetch quite a bit of money to be honest. As I mentioned before, it's the first set so it's quite a collectors set. There's many variants of that first set too.If you want to post a few pictures go ahead, I'll be glad to help.

Ofcourse im going through them because i was interested if i could make abit of money, .. i went through my first pile of cards, and so far, i have these with no icons...

Ponyta x 8
Drowzee x2
pikachu x2
charmander x 6
charmeleon x 4
Jynx x2
Haunter
Gastly x3
Albra x 3
Kadabra
staryu
starmie
Magnemite x2
Kabutops shiney
Dugtrio
Rattata

Any idea on the value of them? , i i did put them up for sale, i dont wanna get ripped off or put them up at a stupid price and look dumb LOL

Are you sure the Kabutops has no icon? oO

Are any of those first edition?

Original Poster

Articuno

Are you sure the Kabutops has no icon? oOAre any of those first edition?

Yep, no icon, ill take a picture, and yep, all first edition im pretty damn sure......##

My bad, he as a moon icon... pffff , but yes, they are all first editions..... apart from the kabutops.. damn..

Edited by: "Nejjassa" 7th May 2013

If you find anything out i'd also like to know there worth, I've got loads of 1st edition holographic cards inside a red pikachu pokemon folder along with 1st edition yu-gi-oh cards too

Articuno

Are you sure the Kabutops has no icon? oOAre any of those first edition?

J_D

If you find anything out i'd also like to know there worth, I've got … If you find anything out i'd also like to know there worth, I've got loads of 1st edition holographic cards inside a red pikachu pokemon folder along with 1st edition yu-gi-oh cards too

If you could take a picture, that would be great.

I know nothing about Yugioh I am afraid, but the same applies to you. Take a few pictures and I'll let you know.

Original Poster

Articuno

If you could take a picture, that would be great.I know nothing about … If you could take a picture, that would be great.I know nothing about Yugioh I am afraid, but the same applies to you. Take a few pictures and I'll let you know.

Take a picture of my 1st editions?

Nejjassa

Take a picture of my 1st editions?

The shiny ones (or even rare ones if you'd like to find out the price of them)

Original Poster

Articuno

The shiny ones (or even rare ones if you'd like to find out the price of … The shiny ones (or even rare ones if you'd like to find out the price of them)

So ones with no icons, and a star in corner.... this may take a while....

Original Poster

Articuno

The shiny ones (or even rare ones if you'd like to find out the price of … The shiny ones (or even rare ones if you'd like to find out the price of them)

No icon and a star, only one i have is dugtrio ,... however, i do have the 1999 sticker collction book, with all 150 stickers in really good condition, with nothing written on any page, any money in that? ... http://oi39.tinypic.com/mt9ekg.jpg

Nejjassa

No icon and a star, only one i have is dugtrio ,... however, i do have … No icon and a star, only one i have is dugtrio ,... however, i do have the 1999 sticker collction book, with all 150 stickers in really good condition, with nothing written on any page, any money in that? ...

I have no idea on anything else really, I am just a card collector.

Sorry for the response time, been busy for the past few hours.

i have one pokemon card that is a first edition card out of 112. is it worth anything?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants