Expired

Police in marked car opposite side and in the volvo.

Found 24th Jul
Hey
My mind wandered on a 50mph and almost reached 70mph, totally by accident and have a clean license for 14 years
Anyway this guy was in a normal marked vehicle on the other side of a dual carriageway with his window up.

I am unsure of what cops can detect and not. Can they get me with a gun from the other side of a dual carriageway with his windows up?

There is only a grass verge so he could see me, but did not chase me.

Bit worried as new laws say the could very well ban me, but unlikely, just a high fine and possibly 6 points.

What's your thoughts on this.
Thanks so much all.
Community Updates
AskHome & Garden
Top comments
"My mind wandered on a 50mph and almost reached 70mph, totally by accident"........
Hmm,That's questionable, for a start.
I think you would be let off if you told them it was "just an accident"
Best thing to do is go hand yourself in, you're effectively a fugitive.
23 Comments
"My mind wandered on a 50mph and almost reached 70mph, totally by accident"........
Hmm,That's questionable, for a start.
I think you would be let off if you told them it was "just an accident"
I'd say almost certainly 0 chance you'll be done, he'd be looking at his side of the carriageway for cars speeding past for a start, probably wasn't even using a gun.
Edited by: "winifer" 24th Jul
Happened to me a few times over the years. You watch the letter box but nothing comes. Got away with it again. 70 in a 50mph is 6 points now then? I didn't know that. Try not to worry as nothing you can do about it. Unfortunately it happens to many of us drivers, but that's just modern day driving. Think we all try stick to speed limit but it's not easy with ever changing limits and busy roads. Is as much as I can do to try and drive safely and not flatten anyone. So far so good at 30 years on the road
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Jul
wayners15 m ago

Happened to me a few times over the years. You watch the letter box but …Happened to me a few times over the years. You watch the letter box but nothing comes. Got away with it again. 70 in a 50mph is 6 points now then? I didn't know that. Try not to worry as nothing you can do about it. Unfortunately it happens to many of us drivers, but that's just modern day driving. Think we all try stick to speed limit but it's not easy with ever changing limits and busy roads. Is as much as I can do to try and drive safely and not flatten anyone. So far so good at 30 years on the road

Unfortunately? I do love how some divers think they are victims to an evil regime.

OP There is quite a distinct difference in feeling between 50 and 70 (55/57 is wandering 70 is not) you only noticed because you thought you had got caught so stop making excuses for yourself.

that being said he won’t have clocked you so you will be alright.
Best thing to do is go hand yourself in, you're effectively a fugitive.
I am sure all the posters and everyone in the world has failed to pay attention to their speed, hence speeding tickets

Everyone makes mistakes, and the road is a straight road with no traffic as 7am, I was just passing one car and just forgot to lay off the speed.

I drive a 1.6 golf and I am 42 years old. I hardly do this all the time, as I would be banned by now.
It not like I was driving 60mph through a school zone.

Anyway thanks for those that offered a genuine answer.
At 42 years of age you really should know better.

Perhaps getting caught from this incident may teach you a lesson to be more aware of your speed.

Speed limits are there for a reason!
Edited by: "karlypants" 24th Jul
If Karlypants doesn't make you feel too guilty, then rest assured - if the guy didn't pull you over you wont hear anything further.
Do you actually think they drive along with the steering wheel in one hand and a radar gun in the other?
I wouldn't worry about it, just be mindful of your speed in future as your risking not just your life but others also.
I doubt you will ever hear anything about it.

If you do it will be a SP30, 3 points and £100 fine.
I'm waiting for the explanation for the relevance of the seemingly random Volvo.
Your not going to hear anything at all about this forget it and move on (slower)
Dannyrobbo9 h, 41 m ago

Unfortunately? I do love how some divers think they are victims to an evil …Unfortunately? I do love how some divers think they are victims to an evil regime. OP There is quite a distinct difference in feeling between 50 and 70 (55/57 is wandering 70 is not) you only noticed because you thought you had got caught so stop making excuses for yourself.that being said he won’t have clocked you so you will be alright.

Drove down my close to main road one morning and seen police car coming up road and I thought. Opps. No seat belt. Coppers chased me down and fined me! Following day while driving my new van I noticed a speed trap in the usual place local to me. For reason only known to the gods I got caught doing 36mph in a 30, so ended up on speed awareness course. That madness cost me £140 ish! I human. I make mistakes but I'm not a danger to anyone but I still feel a little hard done by. Had house windows smashed by yobs. Shed done over. Trailer stolen but all I got was a crime number. It can't continue like this can't it?
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Jul
canada1611 h, 34 m ago

...My mind wandered on a 50mph and almost reached 70mph...

That phrase implies driving without due care and attention which may be more serious than an excess speed violation.
wayners10 h, 25 m ago

Drove down my close to main road one morning and seen police car coming up …Drove down my close to main road one morning and seen police car coming up road and I thought. Opps. No seat belt. Coppers chased me down and fined me! Following day while driving my new van I noticed a speed trap in the usual place local to me. For reason only known to the gods I got caught doing 36mph in a 30, so ended up on speed awareness course. That madness cost me £140 ish! I human. I make mistakes but I'm not a danger to anyone but I still feel a little hard done by. Had house windows smashed by yobs. Shed done over. Trailer stolen but all I got was a crime number. It can't continue like this can't it?

Nobody likes getting caught do they, but at the end of the day in both cases you were at fault and can’t really complain. We are all human and all make mistakes the difference is in how we react some blame others (god ), some take it on the chin I guess.
Ops definitely going to prison. I'll be at the trial
wayners13 h, 17 m ago

Drove down my close to main road one morning and seen police car coming up …Drove down my close to main road one morning and seen police car coming up road and I thought. Opps. No seat belt. Coppers chased me down and fined me! Following day while driving my new van I noticed a speed trap in the usual place local to me. For reason only known to the gods I got caught doing 36mph in a 30, so ended up on speed awareness course. That madness cost me £140 ish! I human. I make mistakes but I'm not a danger to anyone but I still feel a little hard done by. Had house windows smashed by yobs. Shed done over. Trailer stolen but all I got was a crime number. It can't continue like this can't it?

those are totally different crimes/situations
you were spotted and rightly punished
if the coppers noticed your shed being 'done over' or the other stuff do you think theyd have said to the criminals 'carry on' or that they'd have nicked them?
did you give them anything to go on?
if someone saw you speeding and said 'yeah some guy in a white van was speeding' do you think they would follow that up?
brilly1 h, 45 m ago

those are totally different crimes/situationsyou were spotted and rightly …those are totally different crimes/situationsyou were spotted and rightly punished if the coppers noticed your shed being 'done over' or the other stuff do you think theyd have said to the criminals 'carry on' or that they'd have nicked them?did you give them anything to go on? if someone saw you speeding and said 'yeah some guy in a white van was speeding' do you think they would follow that up?

Local pub had camera and that's where they parked up according to the witnesses while they run around stealing stuff. Police turned up 5 days later to view pub camera images but landlord was out and staff didn't know how to work equipment. After 7 days the data is all written over with new video but the police never came back. Nothing done. Just a little annoying
wayners1 m ago

Local pub had camera and that's where they parked up according to the …Local pub had camera and that's where they parked up according to the witnesses while they run around stealing stuff. Police turned up 5 days later to view pub camera images but landlord was out and staff didn't know how to work equipment. After 7 days the data is all written over with new video but the police never came back. Nothing done. Just a little annoying

so... they made an effort
now maybe you could make an effort into putting your seatbelt on and not driving outside the legal speedlimits
brilly39 m ago

so... they made an effortnow maybe you could make an effort into putting …so... they made an effortnow maybe you could make an effort into putting your seatbelt on and not driving outside the legal speedlimits

I have for 30 years. Well except once. Just wish my fine money was pumped back in the system not farmed off elsewhere. Not enough police doing the job. Red tape, paperwork bla bla. I grew up living in police houses. Well until I was 7. They have been sold off to
Edited by: "wayners" 25th Jul
wayners1 h, 4 m ago

I have for 30 years. Well except once. Just wish my fine money was pumped …I have for 30 years. Well except once. Just wish my fine money was pumped back in the system not farmed off elsewhere. Not enough police doing the job. Red tape, paperwork bla bla. I grew up living in police houses. Well until I was 7. They have been sold off to

just once? earlier you confessed to two incidents - do you need your lawyer?
brilly7 m ago

just once? earlier you confessed to two incidents - do you need your …just once? earlier you confessed to two incidents - do you need your lawyer?

Haha. Probably will need legal advice now we have new car. Old banger speedo was wrong. If it showed 34mph I was actually doing 28mph ish. Think that saved me so many times.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants