Police investigate 'racist' Cool Runnings carnival float

Found 31st Aug 2017
Four carnival revellers who "blacked up" to look like a Jamaican bobsleigh team are being investigated by police for racism after receiving a complaint. The carnival consisted of about 20 floats themed on films

I don't particularly see this as offensive, and I believe that the Jamaican bobsleigh team have a cult hero status in Jamaica. It seems all is acceptable apart from the "blacked up" aspect the revellers adorned.

It would be interesting to hear other peoples views on this.

Telegraph link
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments
I'm so sick of all this crap.
It's quite astounding that, given the amount of negative coverage that has surrounded people "blacking up" over the years, there are still people stupid enough to do it.
Edited by: "RossD89" 31st Aug 2017
So everyone can paint themselves up in every colour known to mankind during a carnival, but woe betide anyone using black!
reddit1 h, 0 m ago

Hopefully the Police will take 5 minutes to go through the motions...

Carnival floaters that refuse to be flushed out.
51 Comments
They should have tested the waters by turning up at the Notting Hill Carnival.
PC brigade gone mad again.
123thisisme3 m ago

PC brigade gone mad again.

Do you mean the ONE person who made a complaint?
It's quite astounding that, given the amount of negative coverage that has surrounded people "blacking up" over the years, there are still people stupid enough to do it.
Personally I think it's just card taped to a lifting forlk, I feel they should of done more with the lifter itself. Nice quirky reference though so 5/10, I hope for the carnivals sake it don't even place top ten else it's a poor showing.
Edited by: "catbeans" 31st Aug 2017
I'm a big fan of cool runnings, I don't really see a problem with it myself. And if only one person complained it seems like a waste of an investigation.
Destard40 m ago

Do you mean the ONE person who made a complaint?

Was that it, just one complaint. Waste of money following it up in my opinion.
I miss John Candy
Edited by: "majestic2012" 31st Aug 2017
*Candy
Banned
The police are required by law to follow up ANY complaint of racism folllowing the Lawrence enquiry and report. The alleged offense can literally be ANYTHING if the complainant feels it was racially motivated. Facts and common sense does not apply. Wasting police time does not apply. If you hurt someone's feelings your investigated.

Total shambles.
So everyone can paint themselves up in every colour known to mankind during a carnival, but woe betide anyone using black!
So is white face paint like a mime now also racist? How about yellow? How about red.. you could be racially abusing a sunburnt white person..
The individual who complained really does need to get over themselves and stop being a pranny. They probably complain about black bin bags too. /sarc
Dawsy46 m ago

So is white face paint like a mime now also racist? How about yellow? How …So is white face paint like a mime now also racist? How about yellow? How about red.. you could be racially abusing a sunburnt white person..

That would be just face paint. What if they'd dressed up as slaves? Or a disabled person?
Let's not play the unhelpful exaggeration game.

It's actually being investigated as a hate crime I doubt it will go anywhere.
Its the dummies that have done this that have caused this whole situation, of all the things you could dress up as..."Let's do blackface"
Edited by: "Cr0m" 31st Aug 2017
deleted800342
What if they used black skin coloured cardboard masks?
Would that be allowed or nah?
Just another case of someone with too little to do looking for things to be offended by.
Predikuesi2 h, 17 m ago

So everyone can paint themselves up in every colour known to mankind …So everyone can paint themselves up in every colour known to mankind during a carnival, but woe betide anyone using black!

Looks more like brown to me.
I can barely believe I'm going there but... is this racist?

31856813-VySpC.jpg
MSK.11 m ago

I can barely believe I'm going there but... is this racist?[Image]

I don't know what it is, but she deserves to be locked up for it.
MSK.43 m ago

... is this racist?

No, its my daughter.
or at least some one who uses the same tanning product.
So to sum up loads of (I assume) white folk on HUKD have decided that "blacking" up is ok?

I just better let the rest of society know.

whilst this example seems harmless enough, not sure enough people know about this history of blacking up and why it is obviously offensive and has a history of just mocking those of a different skin tone - which surely as a society (hopefully) - we have moved past?
Im sure they can respect the fact its a carnival and those painting their faces were just appreciating a good movie with black people in it. If anything they're celebrating...

1, The movie
2. Diversity
3. Black people.

A racist wouldn't make themselves look black. They'd be far from it, like the KKK outfits.

I bet it wasn't even a black person that reported it. Probably another white person hater from a certain community.
joanddan712 m ago

So to sum up loads of (I assume) white folk on HUKD have decided that …So to sum up loads of (I assume) white folk on HUKD have decided that "blacking" up is ok?I just better let the rest of society know.whilst this example seems harmless enough, not sure enough people know about this history of blacking up and why it is obviously offensive and has a history of just mocking those of a different skin tone - which surely as a society (hopefully) - we have moved past?

Quite right - either way is abhorrent.

31857583-BpAsB.jpg
deeky3 h, 42 m ago

Didn't know you were black deeky?
Would this be racist?

31858491-kZ3Gp.jpg
For some reason I can't post the image from the telegraph Cool Runnings Float

This as done before in 2016
heraldscotland.com/new…ge/

Yet with the shoe on the other foot
31858521-gxhsw.jpgbuzzfeed.com/mic…v2b

This isn't racist because it's fighting racism....wtf

I've got a very bad headache now - I just don't understand the world anymore.

It just seems it's not racist for 4 black men to beat up a white man but it is racist when 4 white men beat up a black man.
It just seems it's racist to black up but not racist to white up
It seems it's not OK for a white man to say the n word but it's OK for a black man to say the c word (c as in the thing most people pull at Christmas)

Equality means equality - it doesn't mean if you've been oppressed that you can use your race, your gender, your nationality to gain preferential treatment

Black Lives Matter Has A List of Demands for White People! Youtube user Red Pill Black has a go at BLM demands
joanddan72 h, 0 m ago

So to sum up loads of (I assume) white folk on HUKD have decided that …So to sum up loads of (I assume) white folk on HUKD have decided that "blacking" up is ok?I just better let the rest of society know.whilst this example seems harmless enough, not sure enough people know about this history of blacking up and why it is obviously offensive and has a history of just mocking those of a different skin tone - which surely as a society (hopefully) - we have moved past?

If we've moved past it, why is a couple of people dressing up as their favorite black movie characters a problem?

By definition surely if we are moving past it, at some point painting yourself any colour you like should be fine. Or we're not moving past it, we're holding on to terrible deeds of the past.

Does the intention of the action not matter?
Oh FFS.

Have much will this investigation cost and what will it achieve?
Lots of money and sweet F.A. is the answer.

As the seconds roll by, Great Britain is turning into Meh Britain.
The outrage in this thread is quite amusing.
Destard6 m ago

You might think people would be more interested in the massive, authoritarian power grab laid out in the Brexit legislation as it stands.
This is easier on the brain though.
Destard8 m ago

Coming from you, that is high praise indeed, Destard.
Hopefully the Police will take 5 minutes to go through the motions before dismissing the complaint.

The way that every little thing regarding racism and sexism is now scrutinised to the nth degree has made our society look ridiculous and only serves to further separate people, rather then bring them together.
J4GG45 h, 27 m ago

I bet it wasn't even a black person that reported it. Probably another …I bet it wasn't even a black person that reported it. Probably another white person hater from a certain community.

But Dinah Mulholland - who stood for Labour at this year's General Election - said their fancy dress choice was "unacceptable"

twitter.com/din…ion
PTibbets41 m ago

I am surprised they survived the carnival with serious injuries or being …I am surprised they survived the carnival with serious injuries or being murdered. . Talk about stupid things to do.Ah. It was in Wales. Bet they wouldnt have done it in Nottinghill.

How would that be a issue as all the lead characters in Notting Hill were white?
Predikuesi10 h, 2 m ago

So everyone can paint themselves up in every colour known to mankind …So everyone can paint themselves up in every colour known to mankind during a carnival, but woe betide anyone using black!

Wode is a blue dye.
reddit1 h, 0 m ago

Hopefully the Police will take 5 minutes to go through the motions...

fanpages21 m ago

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants