Groups

Police officers / Dog handlers

Any police officers reading tonight ?? A question for you .... A nutcase with a hammer was jailed today after attacking police. He was tasered beforehand on the video but it had no effect. Why didn't they let the police dog attack him?

31 Comments

Whilst I'm unsure of the specifics of this story, or a policeman I'm going to hazard a guess at they didn't want their dog smashed in the skull with a hammer? It's a dog, not He-Mans Battle cat.

Original Poster

Yep thought of that .... a police officers insight would be good. As one of their own took a hammer in the neck, I'm surprised they didn't let the dog loose. In the old days I'm sure they would have done but is that the case now? Is a police dogs safety paramount ?

Banned

Basically during training we are always told not to let the dog go on a standalone suspect weilding any kind of weapon and it is a massive no go. The dog only feels comfortable chasing and often when confronted with a still object the dog will be uncertain of which part of the person they should attack. It all related back to a case in the 1950's when a police officer was in a similair situation outside a snooker hall. The man came out with a cue and the dog bit the butt of the cue instead of the suspects arm and this then rendered the dog useless. It has it's own wikipedia article called ''butt dog''.... you should probably google it as I have absolutely no idea what i'm talking about.
    Edited by: "MrScotchBonnet" 14th Jan

Original Poster

Thanks.

Was certainly my thought than one blow to the dogs head with the hammer could finish the dog off, I can fully understand why they did not want to risk the dog in that situation as they must get very attached to them.
    Edited by: "POWYSWALES" 14th Jan

Original Poster

Would the situation have got worse or better in your opinion if the dog was released to attack after the police officer was struck with the weapon. I can't get my head round the fact that the WPC was hiding behind a pillar screaming her head off and the dog was still on his lead. Do police dogs seek to protect the officers or do they only have the bond with the handler?

Banned

Maybe because the dog would lock on to an arm or leg marking it an easy stationary target.

Also you cannot taser the guy again with dog attached.

I guess like all aspects of policing there are very specific circumstances under which a certain procedure should be followed and where and when a police dog should be released will come under these rules as well,i doubt if the handlers feelings come into it, just a matter of effectiveness in stopping an assailant vs risk to a very highly trained (expensive) animal.

Watched this earlier on the BBC site & it was pretty horrible. We're used to seeing a lot of negative videos/stories on Police & yes some of those Police are indeed idiots, but the reality is the cops are constantly having to deal with this sort of terror every day. Must be pretty stressful.

Why did the tasers not work? I thought this was the guaranteed takedown without a gun.

Banned

Cenobite

Why did the tasers not work? I thought this was the guaranteed takedown … Why did the tasers not work? I thought this was the guaranteed takedown without a gun.

I think he had some sort of puffa jacket on

YouDontWantToKnow

I think he had some sort of puffa jacket on

Does it have to be the chest? Can you not hit the legs? Police need better protection.

Always tase the eyes.

Taser failed due to padded jacket preventing barbs making appropriate contact to facilitate the electrical discharge. As an ex dog handler and ex AFO I would have released my dog based on what i saw on the video, but obviously this doesn't provide the full story and neither does it tell you how experienced the dog or the handler was. It's a split second decision and never an easy one to make and even harder to get right every time - you have to be confident the dog is targeted on the offender as they are trained to attack the threat - if the dog perceives one of the officers is threatening then they too could become targeted.

yes trained dogs are expensive and why risk injuring it at.the first point of contact , in reality once the culprits in the back of the van then you can the dog in to let it chew on them , no risks and keep the.dog trained

I'm lead to believe that the dog has no clue on who is a cop and who is a suspect. so usually used with close handler instructions they attack moving people.. (usually who sre running) If your standing still it possibly won't attack you..

after watching the video earlier i was surprised at the way he was treated, ide have given him a hiding to remember ( in self defence)

also, that padded jacket most probs made the taser of no use, im afraid after those attepts it would of been a face shot, he would of gone down

after reading my above, maybe im best being a "veteran" soldier than a police officer

Banned

Bartleby

Whilst I'm unsure of the specifics of this story, or a policeman I'm … Whilst I'm unsure of the specifics of this story, or a policeman I'm going to hazard a guess at they didn't want their dog smashed in the skull with a hammer? It's a dog, not He-Mans Battle cat.

Haven't you seen Warcraft the movie? Ferocious woofies with sharp killer teeth, in armour and all beying for blood. That's what the police need! Personally, I've got a thing for police women, they deserve all the protection they can get!

I'm not a police officer or a dog handler but maybe because the female police officer was a bit hysterical (as you would be if someone was coming at you with a hammer) the dog may have attacked her instead of the suspect

Looking at the video, I would have set the dog on him.
    I would also be worried that the police officer who tried to defend himself knowing he could not out run this guy seemed to be fighting himself due to his colleagues running away, not one but twice :-/

Banned

WheresMeNuts

Looking at the video, I would have set the dog on him.I would also be … Looking at the video, I would have set the dog on him.I would also be worried that the police officer who tried to defend himself knowing he could not out run this guy seemed to be fighting himself due to his colleagues running away, not one but twice :-/

Got a link?

Banned

WheresMeNuts

http://news.sky.com/story/jamshid-piruz-jailed-for-horror-film-hammer-attack-on-police-10727952

Jamshid Piruz.... *rolls eyes*

Banned

his been sentenced to 10 years.
    I would have waited for armed unit, or use all the force at once. dog's, and the police Barton's, taser and the spray.

Banned

sofiasar

his been sentenced to 10 years. I would have waited for armed unit, or … his been sentenced to 10 years. I would have waited for armed unit, or use all the force at once. dog's, and the police Barton's, taser and the spray.

Great idea, end up blinding yourself,the dog,probably get bit by the dog,lose your baton,get hit with own baton. X)

The police dog would be confused in this situation and possibly attack the wrong person ie another officer that is the one of the biggest reasons the other is some sort of comparison towards the dog but this would be less of the reason. My mate trains dogs in the army and thats what his reason was. Basically the area was very confined and lots of aggression from all sides would confuse the dog and possibly it could attack an officer. Police dogs are mainly used to chase someone running because that person is running the dog grabs and grounds that person

whydoineedastupidusername

Would the situation have got worse or better in your opinion if the dog … Would the situation have got worse or better in your opinion if the dog was released to attack after the police officer was struck with the weapon. I can't get my head round the fact that the WPC was hiding behind a pillar screaming her head off and the dog was still on his lead. Do police dogs seek to protect the officers or do they only have the bond with the handler?

Basically a bond only with the handler a screaming officer would more than likely attract a bite from the dog the dog has to make a decision who is the threat I'm pretty sure it doesn't see a uniform like we do.

A man convicted of murder in the Netherlands has been jailed for life in the UK for a hammer attack on two police officers that was likened to a horror film.
    The 35-year-old had previously served six years of a 12-year term imposed in 2007 for slitting a woman's throat in Almere in the Netherlands.
    He came to Britain in December 2015 to see relatives, but missed his flight home.

When he was told he would have to pay for another ticket, he spat at an easyJet employee
    unbelievable what we import into this country !!

Original Poster

I think we are done with my question. In conclusion I think the police would have let the dog attack but couldn't risk it in case it went for one of their own. Thanks for all the replies and hats off to all the brave folk that police our streets.

There's one dog unit for a few boroughs in London.

Hopefully they use common sense and deport him after he's released, strap him to a missile. Vermin.

Banned

shauneco

Hopefully they use common sense and deport him after he's released, strap … Hopefully they use common sense and deport him after he's released, strap him to a missile. Vermin.

Yep & after Brexit has come into force he will not find it easy to get back here either. Thank God
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44
      2. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…44
      3. Review Hub Monthly Competition - Win a OnePlus 5!88
      4. Win a pair of running shoes up to the value of £100 with UKRunChat1010

See more discussions