Groups

Political witchhunt?

It seems like we are in the middle of schoolboy tit-for-tat retaliatory scapegoating of politicians for points scoring purposes at the moment. Would you be a politician? I wouldn't.
    You can be whiter than white and still be served up on a plate for the party spin machine, it seems. I'm not saying that Hain and Conway are whiter than white, but can we all agree that Conway is just a childish Labour rebuttal for Hain?
    The political state of this country is a farce. It isn't at all about how you perform, moreso how agile you are at avoiding accusations of sleaze from the opposition's 'points-scoring HQ'. Pathetic.
    I wonder who will be the next one to be served up as a sacrificial lamb for the media machine?

6 Comments

I just hate the media witchhunts full stop and wish the political parties had the danglies to make a stand against them. Most of them, in the scheme of things, aren't that worth bothering about, and if we were to apply the same so called "standards" to politicians of the past, then most of the so called great politians would never have been in power. Makes me wonder what talent we have lost for the sake of selling a few papers.

The day the media turn the spotlight on themselves, especialy those in positions of power, and hold themselves to the same standards, that'll be the day they can start judging others.

Bah! *Gets off soapbox* :x

From the Daily Telegraph:

he paid a total of more than £260,000 to members of his immediate family … he paid a total of more than £260,000 to members of his immediate family in the past six years.

Each son was paid at least £10,000 a year, while Colette Conway picks up … Each son was paid at least £10,000 a year, while Colette Conway picks up almost £40,000 a year – significantly more than the Parliamentary average for such a role.

The MP insisted that his sons provided valuable briefings on foreign … The MP insisted that his sons provided valuable briefings on foreign affairs, although the standards watchdog was unable to find any evidence of that.

no records appear to exist of either actual work that FC did for his … no records appear to exist of either actual work that FC did for his father, or the work he was required to undertake... no one outside of the Conway family was aware of the work".

Even if he has done nothing wrong, there's something VERY wrong with a system that allows this kind of thing to happen.

nightswimmer;1518187

I just hate the media witchhunts full stop and wish the political parties … I just hate the media witchhunts full stop and wish the political parties had the danglies to make a stand against them. Most of them, in the scheme of things, aren't that worth bothering about, and if we were to apply the same so called "standards" to politicians of the past, then most of the so called great politians would never have been in power. Makes me wonder what talent we have lost for the sake of selling a few papers. The day the media turn the spotlight on themselves, especialy those in positions of power, and hold themselves to the same standards, that'll be the day they can start judging others.Bah! *Gets off soapbox* :x

Good Post!!:)

Original Poster

cis_groupie;1518225

Even if he has done nothing wrong, there's something VERY wrong with a … Even if he has done nothing wrong, there's something VERY wrong with a system that allows this kind of thing to happen.

I agree. The system sucks. The system that would allow him to continue his nepotistic tendencies until he is needed to counter the Hain resignation. I have to ask if the Conway story would have even seen the light of day had Hain not been targetted? Isn't it funny how it comes to light right now?
    My opinion is that the Labour party don't give a toss about Conway's affairs, moreso he is merely a projectile that can be used to throw back at the tories :roll:
    When the mud is thrown, the only defence Westminster has is to return said mud in kind. It's all kinda sad imho.

Politics in this country seems to just be people in their sad little gangs taking shots at each other.

As previous posters have pointed out if every MP was squeeky clean you would end up with bland yes-men who have had no life experience. Saying that whenever the papers stir it up about the state of the Commons I just look over to the House of Lords at the dusty inbred hereditary Peers and realise it's not a true democracy anyway so why bother.

I think Conways "error" is far greater than Hains. Conways was/is taxpayers money, whilst Hains was a donation from someone who wanted him to have the money. If I falsely claimed benefit money would I be allowed to apologise and repay just part of it - I think not.....

However the real reason Labour, Liberal, and other Conservatives aren't really going to town on this is they are either also guilty of similar abuses or they are desperately trying to avoid their "expense" claims from becoming public knowledge.... I don't know if they have to be released under Freedom of Information but you can bet thats the last thing they want.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What would be HELL to you?2952
      2. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow33
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1020
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767357
      5. Do cheeky drivers annoy you when they park outside your house and leave it …2649

See more discussions