Poll: Do you keep boxes from big price items you buy?

Posted 26th Nov
My wife throws away as soon as we know it’s all working. I was brought up to put the boxes in the loft, just in case.

Just in case what, I don’t know, and I can’t quite justify it, but anyway, we’ve got a lot more room now I’ve thrown them all out.

What do you do?
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
I keep em
We keep them up in the loft then after a while chuck them out. Always for that just in case reason too. I’m a nightmare for that and end up regretting the amount of crap I keep when it comes to clearing out You know those clutter drawers some people have? Well I have a loft, drawers, wardrobes, storage units.... I dread the day we move but I guess then the boxes will come in handy.
Normally keep them in case they either need to be sent off for repair or if we ever need to sell them in future
I always keep them until the warranty expires, after that if it's something I ever might want to sell on I keep the box, if not it gets thrown out.
Keep
We keep them 'just in case' . Have a clear out once every few years. The box often lasts longer than the product.
I recall that our first LCD TV had a clause that said the product had to be returned in the original box for warranty repair... kept them ever since even though its probably not needed. Like everyone else, I clear them down when I can be bothered or cant get in the loft any more
Keep them when its large boxes as they are handy for putting on the garage floor for either crawling under the car or as a early (bigger) oil leak warning system (the only time it will never leak is if I run out of oil being an old bug).
i keep them for the warranty period as i may have to return them for repairs. but bulky items where the packaging is enormous, i throw the box out as i don't want the garage filled up with empty boxes.
Food flat and keep for 12 months then recycling tub they go
my attic is full of boxes. I keep everything "just in case".

WE are looking to be moving now next month (fingers crossed) and i dread to go in that attic ha!
Nope
I usually keep boxes for things that I know will help their resale value, like apple stuff and pioneer DJ gear. And always current tv box too, handy if moving house.
I only keep them for items that I may sell at a later date (e.g. TV boxes).
Keep while under guarantee then chuck out .
darthbacca3726/11/2019 14:43

my attic is full of boxes. I keep everything "just in case".WE are …my attic is full of boxes. I keep everything "just in case".WE are looking to be moving now next month (fingers crossed) and i dread to go in that attic ha!

yep same
Keep, my partner hates it and sneakily throws them away
Can be useful for proving ownership if you need to make an insurance claim. Certainly I have shown to a loss adjuster and that served the purpose...
I keep them to use for selling later or warranty. Once I witnessed a customer returning something faulty without box but the shop didn't sell that product anymore so they couldn't put it through at first because no barcode, took about an hour for them to sort it. So it's handy to keep.
Yes
Keep for warranty periods then throw out unless it’s worth money in the future.
Yeah I must admit most of the tech I keep boxes for is pretty worthless by the time I come to get rid of the packaging. I do get a sense of cleansing when I turf a load of empty boxes out though.
Bonji26/11/2019 21:28

Yeah I must admit most of the tech I keep boxes for is pretty worthless by …Yeah I must admit most of the tech I keep boxes for is pretty worthless by the time I come to get rid of the packaging. I do get a sense of cleansing when I turf a load of empty boxes out though.

You dirty hoarder
Keep if planning to sell down the line. For warranty most companies accept the boxes have been disposed of after opening. E.g. Richer Sounds came with a flight case to collect a 65” TV. (That was probably a 75” box).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants