Pool heaters - are they safe?!?!

Posted 10th May
Hi,

We have a smallish (12ft round) pool for the kids. It's bloody freezing! So I've been looking at heaters. There seem to be lots of "immersion" heaters on ebay around the £20 - £25 mark. It's only really to take the chill off, so I don't want anything mega expensive. That being said, to me plugging something straight into a plug socket and then throwing the other end into your swimming pool has a certain air of "insta-death" about it.

Are these things safe? Does anyone have any experience with them? I don't mind Chinese tat when it's say, a toaster, but I wouldn't fancy getting into my swimming pool with said toaster.

Any experience/advice about these things appreciated!

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Gollywood10/05/2020 20:04

I'd test it on my wife first.

I'd also test it on your wife first.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 10th May
what about this 40705590-jSqqM.jpg
Edited by: "windyshaner" 10th May
24 Comments
or thow the dog/cat in
Just get the kids to pee in the pool for that proper summer holiday experience
Gollywood10/05/2020 20:04

I'd also test it on your wife first.
Can't you heat it up when they aren't in it and then take it out when they get in?

I was going to look at them tonight for our mini pool.
ill ask my butler and get back to you
You could always put it in to heat the water before swimming then unplug it when you get in. It will take hours to marginally heat the water.
We have one in a holiday home (a place a lot warmer than in UK). If the WATER is 28c+ I get in - under 28c I don't, end of.
joyf453610/05/2020 20:27

We have one in a holiday home (a place a lot warmer than in UK). If the …We have one in a holiday home (a place a lot warmer than in UK). If the WATER is 28c+ I get in - under 28c I don't, end of.

That’s nice
There's plenty of unsafe badly designed electronics of ebay, so buying a high current device designed to go in water from there isn't something I'd personally do.

Look elsewhere.
darlodge10/05/2020 20:20

Can't you heat it up when they aren't in it and then take it out when they …Can't you heat it up when they aren't in it and then take it out when they get in?I was going to look at them tonight for our mini pool.

For example, the 2.44 metre Intex pool holds over 2400 litres of water. You'd need a lot of electric and a lot of time to make a big difference to that with anything on a 13 amp plug.
Why buy cheap £20 Chinese tat, buy £200 high quality Chinese!
Edited by: "splender" 10th May
Stop mollycoddling them.
It'll not do them any harm.
what about this 40705590-jSqqM.jpg
Edited by: "windyshaner" 10th May
If it suits you might be better getting an adaptor for the kitchen tap to run some hot water into the pool. If you have gas it’s probably cheaper than trying to heat it with an immersion type heater.
I'm a fan of the cheap Chinese stuff but anything mains powered I'd generally buy a genuine EU approved device from a reputable seller. Even if it looks the same as Aliexpress or similar I'd go for a UK supplier even though it would cost more.
From a practical point of view its probably going to be so slow to heat it that its not worth it.

I help moderate some online groups for swimming teachers and people have been buying these to put in pools outside (i.e. a paddling pool!) and have noticed that even the biggest ones are only adding 1 degree max an hour (some doing that in a day or so!) or so on a good day, and, all of them (regardless of output) seem to be hovering £1ph to operate.
Thanks for all the info guys! Much appreciated
dufflecoat_moon_turkey10/05/2020 21:34

Stop mollycoddling them.It'll not do them any harm.

The water was so cold, it was painful. The kids were happy enough, but we couldn't enjoy it, it just wasn't pleasant. It's not mollycoddling, it's just making something more enjoyable.

But thanks for the parenting advice. That I neither asked for nor required 🏻
joel_6910/05/2020 22:15

The water was so cold, it was painful. The kids were happy enough, but we …The water was so cold, it was painful. The kids were happy enough, but we couldn't enjoy it, it just wasn't pleasant. It's not mollycoddling, it's just making something more enjoyable.But thanks for the parenting advice. That I neither asked for nor required 🏻

You are most welcome.
I use these two. One uses the existing pump and does warm the water albeit at a slow to middling pace.
The black solar cover was superb. It had been on the pool for several hours, I lifted a part of it and felt the water with my hand. It was really really warm. I ripped the cover off and jumped in to find that the warm water was only the top 5 inches. The rest of the water was freezing. I only did that the once.
40706267-bmYnm.jpg

40706267-3QxDN.jpg
Edited by: "Jumpingphil" 10th May
Jumpingphil10/05/2020 23:05

I use these two. One uses the existing pump and does warm the water albeit …I use these two. One uses the existing pump and does warm the water albeit at a slow to middling pace. The black solar cover was superb. It had been on the pool for several hours, I lifted a part of it and felt the water with my hand. It was really really warm. I ripped the cover off and jumped in to find that the warm water was only the top 5 inches. The rest of the water was freezing. I only did that the once.[Image] [Image]

and mine is 9 inches
Edited by: "kevlfc" 11th May
You would be better getting a hot water tap for outside and filling it up that way. Heaters are fine but there expensive to run and best to be left on all night. Similar to the hot tubs, they need power 24/7 ideally
On way you will do it is buying a best way pool heater £100 , then insulate the bottom and sides , I wounding bother getting in or trying to heat a pool of temp outside if air temp is less than 20c.

I have mine at 28 c when we get in.
Edited by: "ashmac" 11th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions