Poor EE service? Try the Signal Box

Found 18th Nov 2013
I've had terrible network service from EE ever since I moved house about 6 months ago. No service whatsoever throughout the house or in the garden. I contacted customer service level 2 (email address from previous complaint). Was told nothing could be done as could be due to many factors (structure of house, trees etc). I did some research and found the signal box. Emailed again asking how I could get one and was told they were due in stock end of October and to email again then. I did this and although it took another few weeks to hear back, received an email saying back in stock and would be delivered FOC next morning. It arrived, I called supplied number to activate and was up and running in 15 mins. I now have full five bars throughout my house and in the garden. It uses wifi so the better broadband speed you have, the more stable the network service.
Just thought I would tell my story for anyone else in similar situation as it was so frustrating. The signal box is an outstanding solution, and from what I can tell, should be straightforward to get one free of charge now they are back in stock.

20 Comments

Banned

So you had to go and do your own research to find out about the signal box? the customer service level 2 never thought about informing you of it and thus you would have never known. Sounds like great customer service to me.

Original Poster

D_G

So you had to go and do your own research to find out about the signal … So you had to go and do your own research to find out about the signal box? the customer service level 2 never thought about informing you of it and thus you would have never known. Sounds like great customer service to me.

Their customer service is unbelievably bad. I've given up phoning the general number as in the past have spoken to advisors in the Philippines, India, Canada and America. None of which were competent. I was amazed the level 2 advisor (although based in Sunderland) didn't mention the box. That's why I thought it might be helpful for people who have been fobbed off to know that if they do like I did, they could save themselves a lot of hassle.

the customer service takes the biscuit.have had a nightmare so far of 1 month of use. around 10 mins on hold to tell you what tariff you are on . oh and of course mis-selling contracts (24 months instead of 1 month) and lying about change of tariffs.
i think if you didnt get a Signal but were showing up on the coverage checker then you should be allowed to cancel.

worst of all true Story the adviser told me that because EE is now merged From 2 companies ie Orange and T-Mobile then unfortunately the Service will be busier for Internet etc. So i should expect slow downs.

Sounds like a small solution to the Problem though and at least they provide the Box + free

Original Poster

arvy1

Sounds like a small solution to the Problem though and at least they … Sounds like a small solution to the Problem though and at least they provide the Box + free

well i'm a bit embarrassed to mention, but i recently ditched sky and signed up for EE broadband and home phone despite knowing full well how s**t their customer service is. In my defence it was only because I got a friends and family discount. But already my connection is unstable and slow. I had hoped it was because they were "optimising my line" (what a load of cr*p that is), but now over 2 weeks in and its the worst it's ever been. Sounds like the merger you referred to has completely ruined their service.

i find it more difficult with EE compared with orange. i just think that Every time i have called EE they have been too salesy and not interested in problems. In all Fairness i was also about to take out the EE Home broadband offer for orange customers (£5 discount).
I am sure in your case you are entitled to cancel in the First 3 months of broadband without charge (promise) As i have been told by many companies.

Just experienced how bad their customer service can be. How hard is it to process a refund...? Been waiting 3 days for them to refund a payment they took twice. On my wife's account. Despite talking to them three times about it previously, this morning they decided they weren't authorised to speak to me... Nice and consistent.

I then called back and spoke to another guy, who was more than happy to discuss it with me and actually seems to be doing something about it... Will see later I guess.

The reason EE are quiet about the Signal Box is that they (in the past) have only made it available for Business customers. I too have had poor (1 bar) coverage from Orange and due to upgrade on the 29th of this month. Only staying if they supply the Signal Box free of charge.

dcx_badass

These use ethernet not wifi don't they?

Yep, you plug an Ethernet cable from the Signal Box to your current Router

Just rang them explaining that my signal had deteriorated over the last 12 months, I asked about the signal box, he sounded surprised that i knew anything about it. After a brief pause i was quoted £126, then £26.
I disputed the charge and claimed that it wasn't my fault that the signal was poorer than when i initially took on the contract and he called me back 5 minutes later explaining that the charge had been wavered
Many thanks for this hbomb

I got mine today thanks to this thread.

They are the worst for customer service, because I moved house they initially told me I had to buy one for a shop as they don't have them, then spoke to someone else and told to pay £169, as it's not oranges fault that I moved, but I said so I'm not allowed to move because of my phone contract! Had a nightmare with customer service, one guy said he would do everything in my power to make sure I didn't get one for free because I questioned why I had to pay.

In the end, spoke to billing and raised a complaint and a team manager arranged one FOC and credited my bill because I couldn't use my phone.

For anyone else needing one of these, you really will have to fight and complain in order to get one!

Original Poster

brookerz

I got mine today thanks to this thread.They are the worst for customer … I got mine today thanks to this thread.They are the worst for customer service, because I moved house they initially told me I had to buy one for a shop as they don't have them, then spoke to someone else and told to pay £169, as it's not oranges fault that I moved, but I said so I'm not allowed to move because of my phone contract! Had a nightmare with customer service, one guy said he would do everything in my power to make sure I didn't get one for free because I questioned why I had to pay.In the end, spoke to billing and raised a complaint and a team manager arranged one FOC and credited my bill because I couldn't use my phone.For anyone else needing one of these, you really will have to fight and complain in order to get one!

Good to hear you kept fighting. My parents get zero signal in their house or garden. I emailed customer service on behalf of my mum. Went through the usual: wait - get ignored- email again -wait- get automated irrelevant response - email again - wait - wait - WAIT! - email again - get f**king angry - WAIT! - then i got a response saying that as my mum was only on sim only she wasn't eligible. This was a new one to me, so gonna take a leaf out of your book and go through billing.

It's all just a big game really. Perseverance is the key but at what cost to our sanity?

But regarding the signal box, since i posted this thread last year, it really has done the trick. It may mess up every now and again, but a quick reboot and it's fine. Also worth remembering it is taking up a bit of bandwidth. If you're downloading or streaming, often worth pulling the plug on it until you're done.

Yep disgusting customer service, I am appauled. I have 4 contracts between EE & T-Mobile and have recently moved house. There is NO signal for about a mile radius arround my house. When I called to complain I was told that they could not do anything and then when I asked about the signal box I was told I could not have one. I esculated and then was told that I could have a box but that they were going to charge me £23 for it, desperate to get the box I begrudgingly agreed.

4 weeks later (now 20/05/2014) I still have not received my signal box, everytime I call to find out where it is I am told that they have no stock and that they are unable to tell me when the stock will be replenished.

I am so frustrated and angry that I am now contemplating canceling ALL 4 of my contracts.

They keep on calling me telling me that I am a VIP customer because I spend so much with them every month, well if this is how they treat VIP customers then I dread to think how non VIP customers are treated !!!
Edited by: "Joburgtaxi1" 20th May 2014

Called again yesterday to ask when I could expect my signal box. Was told that they received stock last week but that they had only received 200 which was not enough to cover their waiting list and that I was unfortunatly not in the top 200 people on the list so I would again have to wait for stock replenishment !!!!

I am now at my witts end.....

Original Poster

Further evidence of EE's ineptitude...I left them a couple of weeks ago and they automatically disconnected my signal box without warning. Fair enough I guess, but my girlfriend and her daughter are both still with EE and so we need it back up and running. I told her to call them to activate it under her number. She has phoned daily for 2 weeks but each time is told that the activation system that they use is currently down. She phoned again tonight and a pretty honest advisor admitted it had been down for over 3 weeks and that no one knew why.
So even if you are fortunate enough to have a signal box in the post, please don't assume the hard work is done. EE - Everything everywhere Ha!!!!

Exact same problem here with EE. I moved house 1yr ago and upgraded to a sony Z1 about 6months ago.I complaimmediately that I canget any signal inside my house. Sit by an open window it's fine, shut it again and nothing, no signal whatsoever. I was told several times that it's tought, there's nothing they can do so I went back to using my BB9900 which has UMA capability (it uses your wireless to route calls etc) so at least I could use my phone indoors. Called them up today and an enlightened young lady send, 'yep, no problem we'll send you a box out'. Fingers crossed it gets here. I made a complaint at the same time based on why this couldn't have been done sooner and 5 minutes later I had a return call offering to take £5 per month of my bill for the remainder of the contract (18 months left).

I have just called and they have told me my case is 'level one' whatever that means, and they will have to send me a new SIM first, which I have to try and tehn if that doesn't work they will refer me to level 2, and they will decide whether I "qualify" for a signal box or not. As I have zero signal indoors it seems a bit like jumping through hoops unnecessarily.I

Since July 6th 2014, I have been trying to acquire an Orange signal box. Yes, I have spoken to Level one India and Philippines and level two in Plymouth. I have lost count of the number of promises. "We will send you a box in seven days or ten days or a month or they are out of stock". I believe the last deliveries were manufactured by Siemens or Nokia. My last call to the Philippines on 1 October resulted in a call back (first time ever) giving me an order number and stating an order had been placed (again) with the Orange Signal Box team. Now the EE website says they are no longer available and a new model will be available from November 2014. However there is no mention of what makes of phones it will support - maybe only, one suspects, new phones that are software enabled by EE. Given Orange/EEs customer service, I am not holding my breath.

I knew these boxes (femtocell) existed and that EE were reluctant to let them out. I have a bad indoor signal that used to be Ok. I told them my wife and I were at the end of our contracts and 3 had a good indoor signal where we live.

I was offered a signal box, but none in stock and a supervisor would ring me when etc etc.

Two days ago, (after three weeks waiting) I rang to cancel our contracts , , which as Orange we have had for years and years.

Suffice to say a Signal Box turned up yersterday free of charge and is an excellent piece of kit. Full signal around the house.

Happy but angry that it takes this to get a service you pay for anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants