Groups

Poorly baby..what to do!!

My daughter hasnt eaten much all day..i just thought it was because she was excited to see my parents as they have come back from a 3 week holiday. Later on when we got home she was sick everywhere..she has never been sick not even as a baby. I have never seen so much in my life! She then wouldnt go to sleep as was crying so i took he out of bed and she was sick all over my sofa and then projectiled up the walls!.she seems ok now..she is still not asleep but is playing drums in her cot.
    Im worried she may be sick in her sleep (i dont have a monitor but my room is next to hers). What do i give her...she doesnt like water?! Also my sofa and rug smell of sick.what gets rid of it..thanks guys rep to helpers.

23 Comments

Is she teething? If not, could be worth a call to NHS Direct.

Hope she's ok. terrible when the little'uns are poorly.

how old is she? does she have a temperature?

karaokecolin;4758707

Is she teething? If not, could be worth a call to NHS Direct.Hope she's … Is she teething? If not, could be worth a call to NHS Direct.Hope she's ok. terrible when the little'uns are poorly.

yep defo agree better safe than sorry we were never off the phone to them when my 2 year old was 1st born ,they will probably just put your mind at rest as its probably somthing minor tho that doesnt stop you worrying

awww sounds like a bug, as said above give the docs a call just to put your mind at rest x

Original Poster

yeah she is teething but we went for a couple of settling in sessions (2 hours) at nursery before she starts monday and the notice there said there was a sickness outbreak..my neighbours daughter who we saw yesterday is also ill today and my friends daughter has been sick for 2 days..think its just something going round at the moment.

Original Poster

she is 14 months old..she has had a bad nappy this evening too.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;4758746

Dioralyte in the bottle with water, it makes it a nice blackcurrant … Dioralyte in the bottle with water, it makes it a nice blackcurrant flavour, but it contains essential minerals to keep her hydrated. Better than milk, or just plain water. As long as she keeps it down for a little while she will absorb some even if she brings most of it up.As long as she can focus and is not lethargic with wet nappiese she is getting all she can for now. If no change in 24 hours it will do no harm to ring out of hours to see if they want to see her, just to check she is hydrated. Or if she currently has a fever.If she is playing drums in her cot, I would not be too worried at the moment, probably a 24 hour virus, just see if it passes.

is she allowed that at 14 months old? thanks rep added:thumbsup:

mamamia7;4758755

yeah she is teething but we went for a couple of settling in sessions (2 … yeah she is teething but we went for a couple of settling in sessions (2 hours) at nursery before she starts monday and the notice there said there was a sickness outbreak..my neighbours daughter who we saw yesterday is also ill today and my friends daughter has been sick for 2 days..think its just something going round at the moment.

Well we are going through similar with our 10 month old.

She has also started nursery this week & it's been a huge upset to her routine. She has also recently sarted teething. She has been sick a few times & even refused her feeds but seems to be settling down a bit today - touch wood. Anyway, OH spoke to NHS directthingy & tey said could be because of change in routine or could be a little bug but just make sure as above - focuses ok, temperature ok etc.

Had a couple of broken sleeps!!

Seems like prob a bug going around, you yourself will know your daughter but if in any doubt id take her to DR in the morn or to hospital if she gets worse through the night just to be safe.

My daughter had the same sickness when she was about 1&1/2 and like your daughter has never been sickly even as a baby... i took her to the hospital because she was really lathargic (which has never been like her either) and she wasnt drinking enough fluids for my likeing. I tried dioralyte aswell as recommended above but she didnt like it... I then gave her some lucozade sport (the orange one) which she drank.. prob not the best recommendation but it ensures theyre getting fluid aswell as getting sugar&salts back into their body. The doctor at the hospital actually told me giving only water was useless, she would need at least some kind of fruit juice to drink or dioralyte.

Hope your little one manages a good nights sleep, if so im sure she will be right as rain by the morning xx

Come to think of it i thinkn i gave her some normal lucozade too at the time, but not sure if id give that to a 14mth baby...but give what u see as acceptable as its really important they drink something, dont worry too much if not eating for now... aslong as shes drinking.

Original Poster

I am and im not worried. Im worried coz shes never been sick but im not coz she is still talking..smiling etc. If she starts to act out of character then i will worry and call nhs direct. I will definately try her on the dioralyte 2moro..thanks

Its amazing how babies still manage to laugh and smile through being not well...they just get on with it where as us adults mope around, take days off work and feel sorry for ourselves when not feeling well x

ah poor you and your dd, its horrible when they are ill. Hope it passes soon. Sickness bugs are something you may unfortunately get used too if starting nursery. Its hard enough to avoid the bugs when they don't go. Had a 4yr old, 3yr old and 2yr old vomitting on me only a couple of week ago, really not nice! I'd recomend a good carpet cleaner, disenfectant and if you can get some spill kits in your cupboard for the next time. They have magic absorbing powder, a scraper, a bag andsome other bits. Available in chemist and halfords. When mine are ill they usually end up sleeping with me, helps us both feel better ;-)

Our little fella had a similar thing happen to him around 14 months old, sick everywhere never seen so much either was happy enough afterwards but later in the night he was sick in his cot, next morning he was good as gold if not a little bit tired from the escapades of the day before.
    Just keep an eye on her tonight hope shes fine.

Original Poster

what would you recommend to get rid of the smell of sick on sofa?!rep to all helpers so far..thank you

mamamia7;4759058

what would you recommend to get rid of the smell of sick on sofa?!rep to … what would you recommend to get rid of the smell of sick on sofa?!rep to all helpers so far..thank you

Zoflora,

mamamia7;4759058

what would you recommend to get rid of the smell of sick on sofa?!rep to … what would you recommend to get rid of the smell of sick on sofa?!rep to all helpers so far..thank you

Have you tried fabreze?

hiyas i was told by gp nurse there is a rampant sickness bug lurging again my 2 year old has just had it awful thing sick all first day off food and slept all day second day third morning right as rain we just pushed the fluids little and often he kept very dilute squash down wouldnt tolerate milk and light food third day bit of what he fancies loads have been off work with me its awfull when your little uns are poorly eh x karen.

yep sounds like a bug, they bounce back quickly enough from them though, just get as much liquid as possible into her, not milky though until her tummy settles as that makes it worse, only bother with calpol etc if she gets a temperature as that makes them sicker, don't fret too much about if she is sick in her sleep, my daughter had a tummy bug once and was sick and had the runs in her sleep, didn't know til i went up the stairs and the smell hit me, there she was fast asleep in the middle of all this gloop - lovely!! just put lots of towels under her when she is asleep so its easy to remove the offending stuff if it does happen! if you get really worried just call nhs direct like the others said. if it wasnt the bug and was something she ate then it will come up and she will be fine even faster - no solid food til she stops being sick unless she gets really hungry and then try and give her dry things to nibble on - hope she is ok soon!

I hope your little one had a good night and is feeling a bit better this morning. A good rule of thumb that our doctor gave us when our eldest daughter was small and poorly, he told us that if you could still get a smile out of them then there's nothing major wrong and it's true, throughout all illnesses with both girls no matter how poorly they've been you can still work at getting a smile out of them (sometimes takes more work than others) whereas if they really won't smile there's a good chance that they're lethargic and need a bit more attention.

As said before, definitely avoid dairy products which includes milk obviously, for a good 24 hours after it seems to have gone to stop it coming back, especially with diarrohea. If your LO still relies on a lot of milk and won't have water then just put half milk/half water in the bottle instead, that's what our doctor told us, otherwise the diarrohea goes on for days, and days, and days.

Good luck!!

Original Poster

she woke up at 2..to have a drink..in which i gave her water and she seemed fine with that and then at 4 and she had been sick...but was only watery. She went back to sleep and then woke at half 7 played drums in her cot then went back to sleep til half 9...i have given her more water and she has gone back to sleep. So i think she is doing as welshkaz says her baby did on the second day just sleep lots..shes quite warm so i might give her come calpol. But she does seem happy enough...thanks for all your help and advice..have repped as many as i could before it said i have given too much in the last 24 hours! Now to deal with the smell of sick throughout my house!!!..yuk.

mamamia7;4760581

she woke up at 2..to have a drink..in which i gave her water and she … she woke up at 2..to have a drink..in which i gave her water and she seemed fine with that and then at 4 and she had been sick...but was only watery. She went back to sleep and then woke at half 7 played drums in her cot then went back to sleep til half 9...i have given her more water and she has gone back to sleep. So i think she is doing as welshkaz says her baby did on the second day just sleep lots..shes quite warm so i might give her come calpol. But she does seem happy enough...thanks for all your help and advice..have repped as many as i could before it said i have given too much in the last 24 hours! Now to deal with the smell of sick throughout my house!!!..yuk.

Oh bless your little one. I hate it when my little girl is unwell!!!

As someone said above Zoflora mixed with warm water to scrub any particular patches and perhaps light an oil burner or a reeddiffuser to disperse the smell a bit more? Open a window to get some air in too (but making sure little one doesn't get cold!)

Diorlyte is great, it's not just for diaherrea (spelling!), it's great to prevent dehydration as she'll have lost alot of essential salts and water being sick too!

Don't be afraid to ring NHS DIrect - that's what they're there for! They don't make you feel stupid either.

Let's hope she sleeps it off today xx

carol123;4758932

Its amazing how babies still manage to laugh and smile through being not … Its amazing how babies still manage to laugh and smile through being not well...they just get on with it where as us adults mope around, take days off work and feel sorry for ourselves when not feeling well x

im convinced its just to reassure us parents they will be ok :thumbsup:

i was always worried when my son was ill but his little smile reasured me

hope shes better soon, its horrible seeing our babies poorley xx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions