Pop Telecom exit fees - BEWARE. Anyone else been stung?

Found 22nd Mar
Can't find any other posts about Pop Telecom so I feel the need to highlight to fellow forum members that, once switched to them, they charge exit fees no matter what stage of contract you are at.

My FiL has been with them for 18 months and has been stung £50 for phone and £50 for Broadband when he switched. That charge appears to the the minimum and always payable. Having looked at the Ts&Cs, I can see this could have been as much as £500 in the first year.

He thought exit fees were illegal but the Pop Telecom agent was. let us say, not very charming when explaining that it was tough and he had to pay. Add those fees in and Pop Telecom are not cheap or even good value.

Anyone had any experience of this? I will be asking Which and doing some research but the contract looks to cover it.
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
It's unfortunate but that's how these nobody companies make any money I suppose.

Too late now but for future reference for anyone else the trust pilot tells a story of having terrible service and getting shafted by fees.

uk.trustpilot.com/rev….uk
Thanks sharing. What a pathetic company.
Wow never heard of them but those reviews are scathing. Appalling company, although maybe best to stick with a more 'reputable' company.
I've been with bt for a long time and always recieve a good service and decent discounts come renewal time.
not sure about this but you say 18month so is it still in contract? 2yr maybe? if not then the contract terms do not apply so there is no way they can legally charge fees on that basis.
maddogb37 m ago

not sure about this but you say 18month so is it still in contract? 2yr …not sure about this but you say 18month so is it still in contract? 2yr maybe? if not then the contract terms do not apply so there is no way they can legally charge fees on that basis.

12 month min term. I am talking to Which Legal later today and hope to find some useful advice
ccnp22nd Mar

12 month min term. I am talking to Which Legal later today and hope to …12 month min term. I am talking to Which Legal later today and hope to find some useful advice

It would be interesting to hear what Which say.
deleted79467
maddogb1 h, 18 m ago

not sure about this but you say 18month so is it still in contract? 2yr …not sure about this but you say 18month so is it still in contract? 2yr maybe? if not then the contract terms do not apply so there is no way they can legally charge fees on that basis.

from there t&c page

32. If you wish to end your Contract

If you wish to cancel a Service, the following will apply:
to disconnect the Broadband Service, you must tell us in writing 30 days in advance of leaving us;
to disconnect the UK Calls Service, you must tell us in writing 30 days in advance of leaving us.
When any services leaves Pop Telecom for any reason an admin, fee is charged and this fee is payable within 7 days.
Within the contract, the fees are £50 per line connection and £50 per broadband connection.
plus a router charge of £50.
Out of contract start date the fees are £50 per line connection and £50 per broadband connection.
If you wish to end this Contract, you must either call Customer Services or write to us at POP Telecom 9 Ashton Gate, Ashton Road, Romford, Essex RM3 8UF. Any legal proceedings that may be issued by you can only be served by sending them to us at the same address.
If you are ending your contract or any service before the end of your initial term then you will be provided with an early termination fee for the remainder of the contract. This is detailed on our website or you can contact the Customer Service Department, the number can be found on any of your telephone bills from us.
Edited by: "deleted79467" 22nd Mar
mattmerch2 h, 19 m ago

from there t&c page 32. If you wish to end your ContractIf you wish to …from there t&c page 32. If you wish to end your ContractIf you wish to cancel a Service, the following will apply:to disconnect the Broadband Service, you must tell us in writing 30 days in advance of leaving us;to disconnect the UK Calls Service, you must tell us in writing 30 days in advance of leaving us.When any services leaves Pop Telecom for any reason an admin, fee is charged and this fee is payable within 7 days.Within the contract, the fees are £50 per line connection and £50 per broadband connection.plus a router charge of £50.Out of contract start date the fees are £50 per line connection and £50 per broadband connection.If you wish to end this Contract, you must either call Customer Services or write to us at POP Telecom 9 Ashton Gate, Ashton Road, Romford, Essex RM3 8UF. Any legal proceedings that may be issued by you can only be served by sending them to us at the same address.If you are ending your contract or any service before the end of your initial term then you will be provided with an early termination fee for the remainder of the contract. This is detailed on our website or you can contact the Customer Service Department, the number can be found on any of your telephone bills from us.

Not sure how any part/term of an 12 month contract can continue indefinitely, in fact there are new laws concerning tying people into further payments that must be expressly agreed to and cannot be included by default in contracts and i think the op could well have a legal case there.
My research tells me that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires things like these leaving charges to be clearly stated up front at the time the contract is created, not buried in Ts&Cs. They were not. Charges should also be reasonable and 2 x £50 has a hollow ring to it.

Will be sending a formal complaint to Pop Telecom and when/if they reject the complaint, it will go to the Communications & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) after 8 weeks for adjudication.
ccnp3 h, 14 m ago

My research tells me that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires things …My research tells me that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires things like these leaving charges to be clearly stated up front at the time the contract is created, not buried in Ts&Cs. They were not. Charges should also be reasonable and 2 x £50 has a hollow ring to it.Will be sending a formal complaint to Pop Telecom and when/if they reject the complaint, it will go to the Communications & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) after 8 weeks for adjudication.

Might be worth checking (any) differences between contractual fees for disconnection / cessation / leave / transfer / switch as those terms can mean significantly different things and attract different fees.
ccnp17 h, 9 m ago

My research tells me that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires things …My research tells me that the Consumer Rights Act 2015 requires things like these leaving charges to be clearly stated up front at the time the contract is created, not buried in Ts&Cs. They were not. Charges should also be reasonable and 2 x £50 has a hollow ring to it.Will be sending a formal complaint to Pop Telecom and when/if they reject the complaint, it will go to the Communications & Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS) after 8 weeks for adjudication.

another quickfire argument could be that the consumer rights legislation expressly forbids "unfair" terms including those which create an imbalance between consumer and seller, surely if the seller can cancel without penalty so should the consumer be able to
Thanks for the comments. We will see. Pop Telecom didn't like the Trustpilot review but that is their problem and my FiL will be off to CISAS after 8 weeks and then a simple MoneyClaim Online case in the good old County Court as was. I fear many have been stung so Which? need to get their act together as well and shout out about Pop Telecom
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants